Shawn Robbins

Wednesday #s: ANCHORMAN 2 8.1M/ It's in a glass case of emotion / Hobbit (4.855m) / CF (1.243m)

• Founder / Operator

Indeed it has. But that B CinemaScore (as useless as that has proven to be)? Wow.

I mentioned it but was quickly dismissed because Shrek is a kid's film apparently :(

That CinemaScore is definitely confounding. I don't get it; reviews are good, and I haven't heard anything but positive remarks about it. At the rate the opening day projection keeps dropping, I seriously am starting to believe most audiences are just waiting for the weekend and next week when they're off work.

Guess we'll see. I don't normally put too much stock in the Shrek 2 pattern (deflated Wednesday/Thursday, exploded over the weekend), but this feels like one of the few movies where it could be possible. Anchorman has a lot of fans, but it's still a comedy; it's not your typical "fanboy" movie.

• Founder / Operator

I expect that to open bigger than anticipated. Ditto Wolf of Wall Street next week.

Thinking Hustle tops $20m at this point, especially if Anchorman 2 stays softer than expected after today.

• Like 2

American Hustle has just been going up and up for me, especially with all of this awards buzz. I'm thinking that a total of $160m+ is not out of the running.

It's also on the largest 2D screen at my 16-plex this weekend.

Edited by Spaghetti
  • Like 1

• Founder / Operator

I could see $25M given the goodwill from Russell's last two films and the popularity of Bale and Lawrence.

Funny enough, I've been getting more and more of an Ocean's Eleven vibe from it lately. The nominations should help, but Sony's also doing a great job of pushing it. 

• Like 1