Shawn Robbins

Wednesday #s: ANCHORMAN 2 8.1M/ It's in a glass case of emotion / Hobbit (4.855m) / CF (1.243m)

Not sure why people really care about titles in the first place...especially for huge franchise. Moviegoers don't say the full title anyway.

I remember when TA2 title was announced, some fool said the GA would be turned away because of the title. :rolleyes:

'Look, it's a title with colons. I already dislike that movie *gag reflex*"

• Like 1

I was just asking cause two other posters said it undoubtedly will hit that figure. haha briefly thought it actually could be a reasonable guess considering the holiday factor. lol

Btw with you doing Santa hats for everyone, think you could fit a Santa hat on my car? That would be awesome!

Wow @ The Hobbit DOS

It's not a particularly surprising number. It's basically within a couple percentage points each day of what TH1 did: better Sunday, worse Monday, better Tuesday, worse Wednesday. After this weekend the daily percentages won't match up as well (since Christmas Eve/Christmas, New Year's Eve/New Year's fall on different days) but it should be very similar, percentage-wise, until Sunday.

• Like 1

In recent years, Hollywood movie titles have gotten increasingly long and ugly, distending into random jumbles of pointless clauses and punctuation.

http://thedissolve.com/news/1147-the-worst-trend-of-the-year-movie-titles-unexpecte/

It's gotten out of hand. In some instances, it was pretty much unavoidable with so many reboots though. I used to call Dark Knight Batman 7 or Keatonman 6.

• Like 1

If this happens there is no way this misses $20 million for the 27-29th.

It's amazing what some fresh ideas and good movies can do.

Assuming Walking with Dinos and Saving Mr. Banks bring in $22 million between the two of them... 

Frozen could do the following

$18.5 million ($190 million)

$21 million ($242 million)

$16 million ($284 million) 

$8.5 million ($295 million)

$6 million/$8.5 million ($304 million)

$4.5 million ($309 million)

$3 million ($313 million)

$1.5 million ($315 million)

$2.5 million/$3.5 million ($319 million)

$2 million ($321 million)

$1.5 million ($323 million)

$0.5 million ($324 million)

Add in slight dollar theater runs and it'll get to roughly $325-330 million if it holds spectacularly this weekend OR gets a huge jump next weekend with a 10-15% drop the following and drops less than 40% over the weekend after that.

If it gets past $20 million this weekend... $350 million is in the cards  :) since Frozen's almost guaranteed an increase next weekend based on the 2002 drops/holds from that same weekend 

• Like 3

• Founder / Operator

And another way of looking at DOS: its Wednesday gross was down 84.4% from opening day versus AUJ's 83%. Virtually identical in the grand scheme of things, and of course, AUJ didn't face an $8.1 million opener on its first Wednesday.

Edited by ShawnMR
  • Like 5

It's not a particularly surprising number. It's basically within a couple percentage points each day of what TH1 did: better Sunday, worse Monday, better Tuesday, worse Wednesday. After this weekend the daily percentages won't match up as well (since Christmas Eve/Christmas, New Year's Eve/New Year's fall on different days) but it should be very similar, percentage-wise, until Sunday.

Not shocking but a bit surprising indeed...as all the hype surrounding it to be better than the first so people were expecting better wom and legs...with softer opening compared to the first part and most people mentioning it to be better than the first this should have held better...but oh well...

• Like 1

I'd rather have G.I Joe: Retaliation instead of G.I Joe 2.

Just adding numbers looks horrible and sounds horrible. It's just... old.

Call me old fashioned, but I think adding a subtitle(unless it's based on an actual title from the source material) is actually more apt to becoming out-dated than just simply adding a number. Numbers are timeless. Exceptions to that rule are Star Wars and Indiana Jones films since their subtitles become their titles.

Subtitles(or alternate titles) that have become sorta laughable: Batman Forever, Shrek the Third, I Still Know What You Did Last Summer,  Speed 2: Cruise Control, Addams Family Values, Honey, I Blew Up the Kid, Mad Max Beyond Thunderdome.

Subtitles from this year that will probably become laughable in the future: Star Trek into Darkness, Thor: The Dark World, A Good Day to Die Hard and the aforementioned GI Joe: Retaliation.

• Like 1

Pretty ho-hum run so far for DOS.  

• Founder / Operator

I am pretty sure TABA will be the best reviewed of the three movies and the highest grossing domestically and overseas. So at least the series will finish on a high note

You may be right. I think it's going to depend on how they market it. I'm sure they'll push the "end of a trilogy" notes again, but it'll be tricky to pull off as a prequel-sequel instead of a standard sequel (like TDKR and DH2).

As long as reception continues to swing back in their favor with the third movie, I think it can at least out-open and out-gross DOS (assuming it lands under $270m which seems highly likely right now). Topping AUJ, though, will require more.

Edited by ShawnMR
  • Like 1

You may be right. I think it's going to depend on how they market it. I'm sure they'll push the "end of a trilogy" notes again, but it'll be tricky to pull off as a prequel-sequel instead of a standard sequel (like TDKR and DH2).

As long as reception continues to swing back in their favor with the third movie, I think it can at least out-open and out-gross DOS (assuming it lands under $270m which seems highly likely right now). Topping AUJ, though, will require more.

remember this is likely not just the final Hobbit movie but the final Middle Earth movie period since they don't have the rights for anything else

• Like 3