filmnerdjamie

Weekend Numbers Smaug 31.4, AM2 26.7 Frozen/AH 19.1

I understand you didn't like Frozen, but you know what I think you should do with your hatred? You knew this was coming:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=moSFlvxnbgk

I have to say that while I liked Frozen. I am not getting the over the top hype and word of mouth it is getting. It is a perfectly good movie, but nothing I would recommend someone to rush out to watch. Personally, I liked Tangled better.

• Like 2

I understand you didn't like Frozen, but you know what I think you should do with your hatred? You knew this was coming:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=moSFlvxnbgk

Amazing on a big screen with good sound.

The animation with the snow and ice are incredible.

I have to say that while I liked Frozen. I am not getting the over the top hype and word of mouth it is getting. It is a perfectly good movie, but nothing I would recommend someone to rush out to watch. Personally, I liked Tangled better.

Yeah in truth I don't even hate it (gave it a C+) I just think it's been terribly overrated. I really don't understand the appeal outside of young girls. 

• Like 1

Yeah in truth I don't even hate it (gave it a C+) I just think it's been terribly overrated. I really don't understand the appeal outside of young girls. 

Certainly everyone is going to have their likes and dislikes.

But you should realize when you are obviously in the minority.

I don't like the Lion King but I realize that 99% of the population does so I don't go around saying its lousy.  I just realize I personally don't like it.

• Like 4

Certainly everyone is going to have their likes and dislikes.

But you should realize when you are obviously in the minority.

I don't like the Lion King but I realize that 99% of the population does so I don't go around saying its lousy.  I just realize I personally don't like it.

I just said I don't understand the appeal outside that demo, not that it's not there. It apparently is.

And I'll continue to be the resident hater for it here since someone always has to be for a movie. :P

Edited by MovieMan89
  • Like 3

So what chance is there of Frozen doing better than DoS next weekend?

Tangled had a 50% increase the weekend after Christmas while AUJ had a 13% drop, and DoS is currently dropping slightly harder than AUJ.  Plus, since DoS won't get the family audience (due to Frozen) it will negatively impact Smaug a bit (especially because it was advertised as darker, and thus less family friendly than the first).

(For example I saw AUJ trailers on animated movies, but no DoS were on any family films for me)

Edited by The Panda

So what chance is there of Frozen doing better than DoS next weekend?

Tangled had a 50% increase the weekend after Christmas while AUJ had a 13% drop, and DoS is currently dropping slightly harder than AUJ.  Plus, since DoS won't get the family audience (due to Frozen) it will negatively impact Smaug a bit (especially because it was advertised as darker, and thus less family friendly than the first).

(For example I saw AUJ trailers on animated movies, but no DoS were on any family films for me)

Zero. DOS will benefit from next weekend as well. In AUJ's case the calendar was different. 

Edited by John Marston

When the movie only cost a measly 50M to make, were not allowed to say it's a disappointment.. It's a bonafide hit for heaven sakes...

I did not say it's not a hit. Just a disappointment against the expectations here of most. I personally think it's doing well. Just stunned at the australian performance. And yes it's still going to be a money maker for the studio.

Zero. DOS will benefit from next weekend as well. In AUJ's case the calendar was different. 

Every movie besides Jack Reacher and An Unexpected Journey got boosts from the previous weekends, so this is incorrect.

Also the year before Mission Impossible GP did not have an increase, Little Fockers did not increase the year Tangled had its increase, etc.

Edited by The Panda

I just said I don't understand the appeal outside that demo, not that it's not there. It apparently is.

And I'll continue to be the resident hater for it here since someone always has to be for a movie. :P

I think you'll have to find yourself a teen age girl and go see it again.

I actually enjoyed it more the 2nd time because I could take the time to appreciate the animation.

I actually think that Disney Animation Studios has caught up to Pixar Studios in many areas of animation.  Their snow and ice effects were amazing as was the hair in tangled.

• Like 1

I think you'll have to find yourself a teen age girl and go see it again.

I actually enjoyed it more the 2nd time because I could take the time to appreciate the animation.

I actually think that Disney Animation Studios has caught up to Pixar Studios in many areas of animation.  Their snow and ice effects were amazing as was the hair in tangled.

Oh I gave the animation an A+ and raved about it. It's gorgeous. WDA has absolutely caught up to Pixar there.

• Like 1

Every movie besides Jack Reacher and An Unexpected Journey got boosts from the previous weekends, so this is incorrect.

Also the year before Mission Impossible GP did not have an increase, Little Fockers did not increase the year Tangled had its increase, etc.

not every movie 

http://boxofficemojo.com/weekend/chart/?yr=2012&wknd=52&p=.htm

DOS should have a very small drop next weekend still. Even something like Star Trek Nemesis (which fell 76% second weekend) dropped only 8%

http://boxofficemojo.com/weekend/chart/?yr=2002&wknd=52&p=.htm

Edited by John Marston