filmnerdjamie

Weekend Numbers Smaug 31.4, AM2 26.7 Frozen/AH 19.1

Yeah but Inception did get a nod.

It isn't unheard of for a movie like Inception to get a nod, plus Up got the nod right after that year.

Given that Inception and Dark Knight Rises got similar reviews, similar to Up and Toy Story 3 you would think The Dark Knight Rises would get a nomination, but nope 0 (that'll be less than Iron Man 3 by the way).

There is no chance that any comic book movie, EVER, will get a Best Picture nod.

Edited by The Panda

It was good. I didnt understand the story at first and zoned out a couple times, but it all comes together and you don't see the end coming at all. And like I said, its not just the story to focus on. The performances and the 70's atmosphere was all great. Its not broody or melodramatic or over the top, its "fun". Go see AH and judge for yourself. Youll dig it.

I'm planning on it, I really want too. It's just a matter of finding the time ^_^

• Like 1

It isn't unheard of for a movie like Inception to get a nod, plus Up got the nod right after that year. Given that Inception and Dark Knight Rises got similar reviews, similar to Up and Toy Story 3 you would think The Dark Knight Rises would get a nomination, but nope 0 (that'll be less than Iron Man 3 by the way).

It's not like TDKR had tragedy all over it since day 1.

It isn't unheard of for a movie like Inception to get a nod, plus Up got the nod right after that year.

Given that Inception and Dark Knight Rises got similar reviews, similar to Up and Toy Story 3 you would think The Dark Knight Rises would get a nomination, but nope 0 (that'll be less than Iron Man 3 by the way).

It'd be highly unlikely that Inception gets a nod in a normal 5 nominee field in 2010. Just saying. It got in, because the field expanded. And perhaps they felt obligated to give a little back to Nolan.

Why not both? (Already used this today, fuck it)

Edited by MrPink
  • Like 1

Again no. MOS would have opened big with or without Nolan's name attached. Snyder movies have better trailers than Nolan movies.

Ok. Perhaps there's some truth to it because Nolan doesn't put half the movie in trailers like Snyder does.

It'd be highly unlikely that Inception gets a nod in a normal 5 nominee field in 2010. Just saying. It got in, because the field expanded. And perhaps they felt obligated to give a little back to Nolan.

Why not both? (Already used this today, fuck it)

Yeah, I know Inception wouldn't have gotten in if there were 5 nominees, and it could be because it was a Nolan flick that they felt a bit more suitable nominating.

But with the academy you will never see them pander so mainstream that they'd nominate a comic book movie for best picture, if Superman and the Dark Knight couldn't do it, no comic book movie can.

It was all about the "feel good" story in the middle of an economic collapse. Irrational decision to give it the kind of sweep it received.

I thought it was pretty average and somehow swept everything at the Academy. 

• Like 1

It's not like TDKR had tragedy all over it since day 1.

Let's not pull the tragedy card.

Having said that, getting a nomination isn't indicative of being a better movie. By this metric, Transformers is a better movie than The Avengers and a slew of other superior films by virtue of the number of nods it got.

• Like 1