Films

Wicked: Part 1 | November 22, 2024 | Jon M Chu to direct | Ariana Grande is Galinda. Cynthia Erivo is Elphaba

10 minutes ago, Krissykins said:

Yeh I got the trailer in IMAX before Furiosa and it gave me goosebumps. 

Have never seen the show, strangely. But I’m just going to wait for the film. 

Can confirm that I got goosebumps. Ariana's still unwatchable, but Cynthia Erivo's voice in that IMAX surround sound? Heavenly stuff. She's gonna kill Defying Gravity for sure.

It really is just all the major plot and character beats. Unless they changed the part 2 plans, and it doesn't sound like it, they're really just gonna pull a Dune and not tell anyone it's a part 1 till the credits roll 

On 5/28/2024 at 11:40 AM, SpiderByte said:

It really is just all the major plot and character beats. Unless they changed the part 2 plans, and it doesn't sound like it, they're really just gonna pull a Dune and not tell anyone it's a part 1 till the credits roll 

except in this day and age, it is sort of hard to keep that this is only part one of a movie from leaking out.

Wicked's got to move release dates now, right? Moana has been even bigger on streaming than the first Inside Out ever was. I don't know if the  Barbenheimer thing works when there's such a genre overlap between the two movies.

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, BoxOfficeFangrl said:

Wicked's got to move release dates now, right? Moana has been even bigger on streaming than the first Inside Out ever was. I don't know if the  Barbenheimer thing works when there's such a genre overlap between the two movies.

One of them will end up moving up to November 22 to get a head start on the long holiday weekend, it's just a question of which one will be first out the gate (if Disney wants as big a 3 day opening as possible, they'll be the one that pivots). Gladiator II isn't a threat to either (or anything, probably), I'd say that should move up to earlier in the month but everyone seems to be avoiding early November this year knowing the election is going to drown out everything else in the country.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, justnumbers said:

Wicked should move to the Wonka spot.

Moana 2 won't move and will be much bigger.

Universal has made some interesting decisions where Wicked is concerned (two parts: why?) and even movie studios can be stubborn sometimes.

Have a sneaking suspicion Disney Adults could turn this into a Barbenheimer-style event, since Moana and Wicked are basically the same type of movie that this kind of fandom loves.

9 minutes ago, Speedorito said:

If I had any more reactions left I would give you the JJJ reaction

We're having a sale for Gold Accounts. Instead of $15 a month, they are $5 a month for your first two months. You get unlimited reactions. 👀

16 minutes ago, Eric S'ennui said:

Have a sneaking suspicion Disney Adults could turn this into a Barbenheimer-style event, since Moana and Wicked are basically the same type of movie that this kind of fandom loves.

Could be but this would be a pretty big gamble on Universal’s part. Certainly the door has closed on Wicked smothering Moana. It seems like Universal put this here hoping to kill another WDAS original and that plan has now gone sideways. Where Wicked is set to suffer the most is losing out on the family audience. In another spot, this could do well with families, but placed here, those families will opt for Moana instead. 

Might be worth pointing out that Pixar movies often have a better track record at the box office than the movies from WDAS. Also, I feel like the fact that Moana 2 initially started off as a Disney+ series before being retooled into a film might potentially be a red flag? 

Still, if Universal intends to move this, November 8th, is right there. 

Edited by WittyUsername

FWIW no one even knew of Moana 2's existence (the Disney movie slated for Thanksgiving was an unnamed title) until early February...when this began its marketing campaign. So technically, this claimed the holiday weekend first.

8 minutes ago, WittyUsername said:

Still, if Universal intends to move this, November 8th, is right there. 

Everyone is avoiding early November this year given what's at stake with this election (which will naturally overshadow everything else). That's apparently why Venom 2 moved up a few weeks.