Films

Wicked: Part 1 | Thanksgiving 2024 | Jon M Chu to direct | Ariana Grande is Galinda. Cynthia Erivo is Elphaba

2016? Would most likely be a holiday release if true.

http://www.filmdivider.com/7062/wicked-movie-finally-seems-to-be-on-course-set-for-2016-release/

Nobody from the Film Divider staff is attending the Screen Film Summit today, but we have friends who are. According to eye witness reports, the presentation by Vue Cinemas’ CEO Tim RIchards not only included mention of a big-screen adaptation of Wicked, it seems to be coming fairly soon. Richards apparently had slide in his presentation that featured the film as a highlight of 2016’s release calendar.

Exactly where Richards actually got this information isn’t clear but he’s obviously very well placed and I’m sure he doesn’t bank on bad info. Exhibitors can often be placed on the inside track by studios and distributors, and it seems that cinema chains are amongst the first to know that Wicked is, finally, on course for its big screen outing.

2 minutes ago, Jonwo said:

What's the betting that Disney slots Star Wars IX to that date and force Universal to move it to either Christmas Day or Summer 2020.

They'll definitely keep on Christmas Day if forced to move it. Worked for Universal the last time they put a movie based on one of the biggest musicals ever on that date.

Now the question is who they will cast.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, filmlover said:

They'll definitely keep on Christmas Day if forced to move it. Worked for Universal the last time they put a movie based on one of the biggest musicals ever on that date.

Now the question is who they will cast.

I think Elphaba and Glinda will be unknowns but they'll get names for everyone else. Helen Mirren as Morrible comes to mind and perhaps Ben Platt as Boq.

10 minutes ago, Spaghetti said:

Stephen Daldry directing.

Guess a BP nomination is all but assured.

I doubt it. The show has its fair share of detractors, like The Phantom of the Opera (which the movie for probably would've been big had they not eventually settled for at-the-time-unknowns in the lead roles).

That was meant to be a joke in response to ELIAC and The Reader getting in despite poor reviews.

By the way, WB kind of crapped the bed with their Phantom adaptation. Getting the director of Batman and Robin and giving it a wimpy release over the holiday break with little promotion. Give it bigger names, an actually solid director and release schedule, and it could have been huge. I wouldn't be surprised if WB tries to remake it in the next ten years.

12 minutes ago, Spaghetti said:

That was meant to be a joke in response to ELIAC and The Reader getting in despite poor reviews.

By the way, WB kind of crapped the bed with their Phantom adaptation. Getting the director of Batman and Robin and giving it a wimpy release over the holiday break with little promotion. Give it bigger names, an actually solid director and release schedule, and it could have been huge. I wouldn't be surprised if WB tries to remake it in the next ten years.

Well, it sat in Development Hell since the 80s. At that point they were probably like "let's just get this out of the way at last."

10 minutes ago, Spaghetti said:

Warner Bros only distributed Phantom, all the creative decision and producing was done by Andrew Lloyd Webber and his company. 

I do think Wicked is a big enough brand that it doesn't need names for the lead roles especially because of how difficult it is to sing. 

I imagine The Book of Mormon is in the pipeline at Paramount although that is a tougher sell overseas than Wicked. Hamilton probably will get a film adaptation in the next decade

book of mormon will never get made.into a movie lol. 

Also Wicked will never get a BP nom. Most theatre critics don't even think it's  a good musical. Even when it first came out in 2003 it didn't get good reviews. It's just super popular among teenage girls lol. At the tony's it lost best musical to a puppet show musical. I'm super excited for this though. i have a soft spot for the show since it was one of my first musicals I ever saw, 

I wonder who they will cast. Unknowns or name actors?