baumer

Grudge Match (2013)

17 members have voted

1. 1. Grade it

Sad to say I was a little disappointed with this but still had a lot of fun.  I thought Stallone was great in his Rocky hybrid of a character.  DeNiro's character was so unlikeable but that did lend itself to some laughs.

I thought the film was slow early but continued to get better as it went on.  An entertaining comedy that I felt could have been more.

B-

I know exactly what Legend means.  The first 20 minutes, like American Hustle, is a little slow and a little off.  But then all of sudden, it just picks up.  I enjoyed the story between DeNiro and his son, played beautifully by Jon Bernthal.  He's carving out quite the career for himself.  He was intense on Walking Dead and he has been in some good films with some really good roles.  I saw him in two movies on the same day.  He was in Wolf of Wall Street, playing a pumped up and ripped drug dealer and then as the son DeNiro didn't didn't know he had.  I think he's one of the most interesting actors out there right now and soon, he might be headlining films.

As for the film itself, it's very endearing.  The script, like the rest of the movie, sputters at first but it really picks up about 20 minutes in.  And the rapport between DeNiro and Stallone is excellent.  In short, if it weren't for the first 20 minutes, I'd be giving it a 9, but as it is, it's an 8.

8/10

• Like 3

The only reason baumer and I are on such good terms lately is because I haven't/won't see this movie.

yea, well, I've liked a lot of movies you didn't think I would this year and my bet is if you see this you will be surprised at how nice a film it is.  I don't expect you to love it, but it will make your top 100 films of the year.  :)

AA fantastic amazing film that I was really surprised I enjoyed. Kevin hart and Alan arkin in stole the show and Stallone, de Niro and whoever played his son were great as well. Best film of the five I've seen at the cinema this year

• Like 1

Saw this on the plane to Moscow and was really surprised at how good it was. Lots of fun scenes, A good mix of drama and comedy and it really managed to pull off the actual boxing match with a result that I feel would be acceptable to all corners of the viewerbase.

The only thing that annoyed me was the leaving the grandson in the bar scene. You could see it coming a mile off and it annoyed me as I felt De Niro character had developed beyond that level of arseholehood. I could have accepted some selfish act be installed for family drama, but that act was just a bit too unforgivable and bad than I felt viable at that point in the film.

• Like 2