grim22

Weekend Estimates: LS - 38.5M | FZ - 15.1M | WoWS - 9M | Hercules - 8.6M | AH - 8.6M | Her - 5.4M

Because people like Megan Ellison, fortunately, care more about letting artists do their thing and not as much about getting an immediate financial return on their investment. :)

Must be pretty cool to have as much money as she does and then say "I'm going to fund Spike Jonze and Paul Thomas Anderson." 

I was definitely wrong on Lone Survivor. Can anyone explain how it's doing so well when so many other "war on terror" films failed or did far lesser numbers in the past? Maybe people are ready to watch movies about it now versus a few years ago when it was "too soon?" First Zero Dark Thirty, now this...

Owen's best role opposite Denzel in INSIDE MAN. Underrated bank robbery flick with a nice twist

Posted Image

I remember when I saw the trailer in theaters the first time, everyone was so shocked to learn it was a Spike Lee movie. Wasn't there supposed to be an Inside Man sequel? The ship's sailed but it might have worked in 2008 or so.

I was definitely wrong on Lone Survivor. Can anyone explain how it's doing so well when so many other "war on terror" films failed or did far lesser numbers in the past? Maybe people are ready to watch movies about it now versus a few years ago when it was "too soon?" First Zero Dark Thirty, now this...

It's based on a popular book about a real event and isn't seen as a "liberal" lecture on the evils of war (not saying that all "War on Terror" movies are but there has definitely been that perception among the general public).

Edited by BoxOfficeChica

I haven't seen it, but my guess is because it shows the more heroic and/or righteous side of the military. That Act of Valor movie that came out two years ago was also a success through being pro-military. 

• Like 1

LONE has a more positive portrayal of the War than ZERO.  Like its title, ZDT is pretty dark & depressing. The torture scenes are hard to watch, and it is the first few minutes !