Jack Nevada

2014 Academy Awards: The Official Thread (ALL NOMINEES IN THE FIRST POST)

To be fair, dialogue is only one part of a screenplay, and not necessarily the most important part at that. ;)

The Artist should have been straight to late night TV, playing after the infomercials were done.

• Like 1

When I was in 8th grade everyone thought Babe getting nominated was a dumb idea :P

*Please note that was just your typical mid schoolers thinking they were so mature and awesome. To be honest, I have to wonder how many of these "I watch R rated films all the time" stories were true*

midnight in paris wasn't an especially great screenplay either imo. and the descendants was easily the worst of the five in adapted. not a strong year for those prizes.

A Separation was the only original one worthy of a statue. In adapted none of them was that great.

2011 is one of those years where it had some really great films (Drive, Hanna, Young Adult, Take Shelter, We Need to Talk About Kevin), but you'd never know it looking at the big Oscar nominees. Although I'm sure people will stand up for Tree of Life, even if I don't, but it just looks like even more of an anomaly in that field.

• Like 1

You know as I was saying earlier about how kids claimed they loved these films they probably never saw (like Pulp Fiction-they never understand it), it they saw them I doubt they would like it. (They probably are saying Wolf is a great film now yet if they saw it they never understand it)

well i guess the deed is done and now we await the bad and good news depending on one's opinion of who should walk away with oscar that night 

to me 12YAS had the most gravitas, HER  stole originality thunder and WOLF  was the party everyone wanted a hot ticket to!

Okay so I ventured onto Crone's site today (I don't know why, really, lol. I'm super busy and I hate her guts and I'm just not sure) and her simulated Oscar ballot results are up. And 12YAS beat Gravity by 4 votes. 

But it's interesting to see that 12YAS beat Gravity handily when it came to whites(99% of the Academy or something ridiculous like that), and north Americans. However, Gravity picked up the males (which is 77% of the Academy) and absolutely ran away with People who are close to the academy (won by something like 85 to 50, which is miles this time around). So this is certainly interesting.

And also, it is worth noting that as people saw more films, the trend trended towards Gravity. 

Edited by riczhang