Jack Nevada

2014 Academy Awards: The Official Thread (ALL NOMINEES IN THE FIRST POST)

Another Brutally Honest Ballot... with more lulz.

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/race/oscars-brutally-honest-voter-ballot-684187

➻ BEST SUPPORTING ACTRESS

I eliminated everybody but the one from 12 Years a Slave [Lupita Nyong'o] and Jennifer Lawrence. I didn't vote for Jennifer Lawrence, even though I thought she was very entertaining in the movie, because (a) she just won last year, and ( B) we can't give everything to Jennifer Lawrence when she's 22 years old because Jennifer Lawrence will be institutionalized. She will have gotten too much, too soon, too early, and she'll lose her mind. I also didn't think she gave the better performance. I kinda thought the parts of the two women in American Hustle should have been reversed. As for Lupita, it's a great performance -- and she has handled herself impeccably. She has acted like a movie star: she looks great, she is grateful, there's no pictures of her drunk at some party. She's played her part well and she gives an amazing performance.

So if Jennifer didn't win last year, she could have won this year in this person's opinion.  Wow!  Just wow!

Sorry I should have said the person could have voted for her this year.

Edited by Klingo

But that's probably true. Why so surprising?

I think American Hustle may go 0-for-10 if Lawrence doesn't win. The only other category in which it is favored is costume design and I think Gatsby will take the victory there. "Her" will likely take screenplay and almost all the technical awards will go to Gravity, with maybe "Captain Philips" pulling out a victory for editing like it did in the editor's awards a few weeks ago.

• Like 3

That s what the AD Forum is saying, if Jlaw hadn't won last year, the race would be over since  a long time and people would say Lupita who ?

THose brutally honest ballots are pathetic, the people who are interrogated should revealed themselves.

Too easy to hide behind anonymity.

• Like 3

That s what the AD Forum is saying, if Jlaw hadn't won last year, the race would be over since a long time and people would say Lupita who ?THose brutally honest ballots are pathetic, the people who are interrogated should revealed themselves.Too easy to hide behind anonymity.

I think they're good though. Very enlightening of the academy.

JLaw will win this year as well. There may be some backlash against her but those votes are going to be split four ways and she is popular enough that she will get enough votes to win. All four acting categories are set and I am not expecting any upsets.

• Like 1

If Jlaw wins this sunday, the backlash  will come from a tiny and loud minority : movie critics, oscar pundits, message boards hardcore cinephiles & haters who are gonna hate without knowing why ...

Nobody is arguing her acting talents so her career will continue to thrive for years to come even if two oscars at 23 seems a bit too much too soon.

There s no doubt she s overexposed but when you have four movies in a franchise as big as THG ( at least in the US) and two Oscar nominated movies, that s the way it is.

Like Kstew before her , she ll be glad when her "it girl" moment is behing her.

Edited by The Futurist

I don't hate JLaw, I think the role was underwritten to just be over-the-top laugh inducing and I think she was a poor fit for the role by both being too young and inconsistent with how she did her Long Island guido schtick.

Especially when you can compare Rosalyn directly with Margot Robbie's character in WoWS, Robbie definitely came out ahead in authenticity, allure, etc.

And my only complaint with her taking Best Actress last year is my belief that she wasn't really a leading character. If she'd been in supporting, I'd have been totally cool with her winning (she was miles better in SLP than she was in Hustle).

• Like 2