Jack Nevada

2014 Academy Awards: The Official Thread (ALL NOMINEES IN THE FIRST POST)

NASA no longer operates the space shuttle. The last mission (a few years ago) was STS-137 (I think, or 138). The shuttle mission in GRAVITY is STS-157. In other words, it's set a few years into the future, in a reality where the NASA shuttle missions are still active. By definition, that's an alternate reality. Furthermore, the Chinese space station is shown as being a finished, complete product. Right now, the Chinese space station isn't even built, it's in the very early stages of getting put together. It's supposed to be finished in the 2020s.

I posted this a couple times way back when it first came out, so apologies to anyone who already knows this. :P

Interesting. So the leap in believability doesn't come from the technology, per se, but from the state of our current space operations?

I'd still prefer to think of it as a thriller. To me, science fiction implies something that absolutely can't happen (as far as we know), rather than something that can plausibly happen, but hasn't due to certain political and/or budgetary constraints. Something like Inception or Avatar (both great movies) would fit the former.

• Like 3

^^ Hey Red--Godwilling we all be here posting on here celebrating our 100th year as loveable Boxoffice warriors nerds laughing it up

Redfirebird....Really was teary eyed seeing so many gone.. Shirley Temple , Harold Ramis and Peter Otoole hit me hard especially

:'(. I cant even believe Harrison Ford is 71 or something like that.

• Like 1

There's more to a great screenplay than having quotable lines.

12 Years A Slave was a very well made movie, I just found The Wolf Of Wall Streets script to be better, it also flowed better.

Edited by Fancyarcher

I gotta say, this was one of the better Oscar ceremonies I've seen. Ellen was funny, the speeches were bearable, the graphic artistry that went into the nominee presentations were terrific, and they got just about every category right.

I agree, I thought the Oscar were really good this year.  :)

• Like 1

I'm kind of pissed that Gravity didn't win. IMO they should create a Best Message category....which honors films that have something important to say about society. 12 years a slave would be the perfect candidate for a category like that. But 12 year a slave wasn't the best picture of the year. Film is not like a book. Having the best story or the best message doesn't make it the best film. Film consists of many different things, and I think the fact that gravity won 7 academy awards including best director is a pretty good indicator that it was indeed superior to 12 years a a slave. Gravity pushed the boundaries of film; one of the most visually stunning and intense films of all time. Although 12 years of slave was good, it wasn't particularly cinematic or groundbreaking. Very disappointed with their choice. Although not surprised....

Edited by Lumos
  • Like 1

^^ Hey Red--Godwilling we all be here posting on here celebrating our 100th year as loveable Boxoffice warriors nerds laughing it up

Redfirebird....Really was teary eyed seeing so many gone.. Shirley Temple , Harold Ramis and Peter Otoole hit me hard especially

:'(. I cant even believe Harrison Ford is 71 or something like that.

Not only was it shocking to hear about Ramis, but just to hear that he was pushing 70 years old also shocked me. It's hard to get out of my mind the mental picture of him from 80's movies like Stripes and Ghostbusters. Time just goes by way too fast.

• Like 1

I'm kind of pissed that Gravity didn't win. IMO they should create a Best Message category....which honors films that have something important to say about society. 12 years a slave would be the perfect candidate for a category like that. But 12 year a slave wasn't the best picture of the year. Film is not like a book. Having the best story or the best message doesn't make it the best film. Film consists of many different things, and I think the fact that gravity won 7 academy awards including best director is a pretty good indicator that it was indeed superior to 12 years a a slave. Gravity pushed the boundaries of film; one of the most visually stunning and intense films of all time. Although 12 years of slave was good, it wasn't particularly cinematic or groundbreaking. Very disappointed with their choice. Although not surprised....

It didn't win best screenplay though (wasn't even nominated), and imo that is the movie's big weakness. 12YAS fires on all cylinders while Gravity's screenplay falters.

Edited by tribefan695
  • Like 2

Yes, but lots of serious films on serious subjects have won in the past. This film released any year would have won BP. It is pure Oscar bait.

Not slavery my friend.. This is symbolic of how Oscars has changed. Same way they didnt want to give Densil Best actor for Malcom Ex because it covered a time , most of the film world wants to sweep into relative obcurity. They also dont want to give Spike Lee the nods he deserves. Then yrs later they give Densil  for a far weaker filmTraining Day.

Seems there are much more diversed folks in the oscar regime now.. No one thought they would give a serious dramactic slave movie its just deserts. Check the talks on the web.

Im very proud of all the team involved with 12yrs of the slave and at the oscar committee for truly giving the most moving film and with an incredible look at the darkest hours of history and what its all about the win.

• Like 2

Interesting. So the leap in believability doesn't come from the technology, per se, but from the state of our current space operations?

I'd still prefer to think of it as a thriller. To me, science fiction implies something that absolutely can't happen (as far as we know), rather than something that can plausibly happen, but hasn't due to certain political and/or budgetary constraints. Something like Inception or Avatar (both great movies) would fit the former.

It can be a thriller as well as SF. There are some conveniences taken with the technology too (Clooney's jet-pack, as it current exists, wouldn't have nearly the juice to be used as much as it was; the Hubble, ISS, and Chinese space station all operate in different orbits in our reality, though there's nothing really stopping them from a hypothetical situation where they were all in more or less the same orbit; etc).

• Like 1

Gravity is hard sci-fi. Very hard sci-fi, in fact. It's not fantastic at all: it's looking at things that could happen and projecting them to tell a story. Hard sci-fi is all about trying to say that something is plausible and could happen, even if it probably won't.

(Also, Gravity took enough liberties with a number of things, such as the relative orbits of Hubble and the ISS, that it actually couldn't plausibly happen.)

It's also a thriller, but that doesn't mean it isn't sci-fi.

12 Years A Slave was a very well made movie, I just found The Wolf Of Wall Streets script to be better, it also flowed better.

I can't disagree with that assertion (since I haven't been able to see either, yet), just pointing out that there's more than quotes that make a script.

• Like 3

Let it go and Ellens Pizza and Twitter Record breaker Attempt had me like no oscar has in a while..That stuff was crazy indeed Empire. This has made me look fwd to the next oscars bigtime :)

Yeah, all of that stuff was great, Kal.  :)

• Like 1