Jack Nevada

2014 Academy Awards: The Official Thread (ALL NOMINEES IN THE FIRST POST)

Anyone who's not fishnets' preferred choice immediately becomes the worst sort of human being.

To quote Doc Holliday, Fish is sometimes just mad at being born.

So she takes her hate out on random celebrities.

• Like 2

Leo should change his name to Ofer DiCaprio because he is ofer-5. To be fair, I think the characters he is playing are hurting his chance. His last three characters are all rich, narcissistic assholes and that's not a good look for someone who is perceived as a rich , narcissistic A-lister. Maybe he should play a depression era Oklahoma farmer next.

Leo should change his name to Ofer DiCaprio because he is ofer-5. To be fair, I think the characters he is playing are hurting his chance. His last three characters are all rich, narcissistic assholes and that's not a good look for someone who is perceived as a rich , narcissistic A-lister. Maybe he should play a depression era Oklahoma farmer next.

I can't speak about Gatsby but Aviator and Wolf were passion projects of DiCaprio and he said he spent years getting them developed.  And for the most part, his films are very successful.  Maybe he isn't winning oscars, but he's making films people want to see and he is getting nominated.  

Maybe next time he should do a black and white silent film about an Aids victim.  He will of course have to lose 30 pounds.  Then he'll win.

• Like 1

Maybe next time he should do a black and white silent film about an Aids victim.  He will of course have to lose 30 pounds.  Then he'll win.

You say that flippantly, but you can't deny it takes a lot of guts and dedication to alter your body like that for a role. It's deserving of the extra props.

Edited by tribefan695

I can't speak about Gatsby but Aviator and Wolf were passion projects of DiCaprio and he said he spent years getting them developed.  And for the most part, his films are very successful.  Maybe he isn't winning oscars, but he's making films people want to see and he is getting nominated.  

I like Wolf and Django too but I am trying to diagnose why he didn't win over MM. I know it is subjective but I thought Leo was better than MM and yet was never really in the running to win this thing. BAFTA went with Ejiofor over Leo as well.

• Like 1

I like Wolf and Django too but I am trying to diagnose why he didn't win over MM. I know it is subjective but I thought Leo was better than MM and yet was never really in the running to win this thing. BAFTA went with Ejiofor over Leo as well.

People didn't like the movie. People heard that the movie celebrated douche-bags and didn't want to see it. People were jealous of Leo and figure they can give him an award later. People think he is too young. People liked McConaughey. People liked the McConaissance. People liked TRUE DETECTIVE. People liked DBC.

Rinse and repeat.

• Like 3

True Detective is not the reason. MM had this locked even before True Detective premiered on HBO. I think the problem is the characters Leo has been playing recently. People just don't want to give Oscar to a douchebag character unless the actor hits it out of the park like Denzel or Anthony Hopkins.

I think it's because douchebag characters are generally less challenging roles than dramatic characters like Woodruff. Aside from the Lude scene Leo has pretty much the same smug persona the entire film. Oscars prefer to go with characters who have a wider range of emotions.

Edited by tribefan695
  • Like 1

True Detective is not the reason. MM had this locked even before True Detective premiered on HBO. I think the problem is the characters Leo has been playing recently. People just don't want to give Oscar to a douchebag character unless the actor hits it out of the park like Denzel or Anthony Hopkins.

It's a reason... read the Brutally Honest Ballots. But you're right, more of it is because they didn't like Leo's character, and they liked MM's.

Edited by Telemachos
  • Like 1

You say that flippantly, but you can't deny it takes a lot of guts and dedication to alter your body like that for a role. It's deserving of the extra props.

It's not as hard as you think it is.  I lost a ton of weight, ON MY OWN, WITHOUT ANY HELP.  These guys have trainers, chefs and managers to help them do it.  Transforming your body for a role is fine, but it shouldn't be the reason you win an Oscar.  McConaughey was terrific in DBC, the weight loss added to it, but I maintain that the best performance this year, by a country mile, was DiCaprio's.

• Like 1