Jack Nevada

2014 Academy Awards: The Official Thread (ALL NOMINEES IN THE FIRST POST)

^^^ Leo is arguably the most famous male actor of past 20 years so everything gets a little exaggerated. Most of these gifs and memes are in fun as most people realize that the guy is super-successful with or without an Oscar.

I can't comment on Dallas Buyers Club since I haven't seen it yet, but I don't think Leo has done anything as great as MM's performance in the True Detective show. That character is very well written and he brings it to life in a very convincing manner.

Red, what did you think of Leo in TWOWS and the movie in general?BTW, it's good to see you still post around here. 

I can't comment on Dallas Buyers Club since I haven't seen it yet, but I don't think Leo has done anything as great as MM's performance in the True Detective show. That character is very well written and he brings it to life in a very convincing manner.

I haven't seen TD. I missed the first couple of episodes so I am now waiting for the DVD but MM has been good in other roles that weren't recognized. He was really good in Frailty.

Bardem in No Country. Waltz in Basterds. DDL in There Will Be Blood. Ledger in TDK. Pacino in the first two Godfather films. Hell, I can name quite a few performances from those two movies that were more deserving of an Oscar than anything Leo has done.

I'd put Leo up with any performance you mention here.  His work in Wolf is one of the five or ten best acting performances I've ever seen.  You don't need a statue from the academy to prove that.

• Like 3

Red, what did you think of Leo in TWOWS and the movie in general?BTW, it's good to see you still post around here. 

I haven't seen it yet, so can't comment. I have only seen one of the BP nominees so far: American Hustle. I've seen a bunch of Leo's other movies though and the only ones where I really felt he might have deserved to win were Aviator and Departed.

I do give him credit for being consistently very good and also picking good projects to work on. I was excited when he agreed to be in Inception because I took it as a sign the script wasn't total crap or he wouldn't have agreed to do it.

• Like 1

I'd put Leo up with any performance you mention here.  His work in Wolf is one of the five or ten best acting performances I've ever seen.  You don't need a statue from the academy to prove that.

Of course you don't or I wouldn't have listed Pacino's work in GF1/GF2. Two of the best performances ever and snubbed badly both times.

Of course you don't or I wouldn't have listed Pacino's work in GF1/GF2. Two of the best performances ever and snubbed badly both times.

Yes, but you say you don't need a statue to have credibility but in another post you mention how he was upstaged by two other actors in Django.  I disagree that he was.  

Yes, but you say you don't need a statue to have credibility but in another post you mention how he was upstaged by two other actors in Django.  I disagree that he was.  

Huh? What does that have to do with anything. I thought he was very good in Django and certainly didn't do anything to hurt his credibility, but Waltz and SLJ blew everyone out of the water in that film. Hell I think you could make a pretty convincing argument SLJ should have won the statue instead of Waltz.

I'd probably put Leo's performance in the film on par with Waltz and Jackson. I could see Waltz getting the nomination mostly because his character was the most likeable.

SLJ is one of the few characters to ever make me cheer when they died. His performance in that film was brilliant. 

That's another guy overdue for a statue. Should have gotten it for Pulp, arguably should have gotten it for Django too.

Edited by redfirebird2008
  • Like 1

Fox Searchlight did an amazing job ( paying all those media outlets to tell them to wait) at hiding the VERY messy drama behind the scenes between Steve McQueen and 12YAS's writer.

Of course we know about it AFTER the oscars.

And Harvey gets a bad rep but he s not the only sneaky bastard in the game.

• Like 1