baumer

Jack Ryan: Shadow Recruit (2013)

26 members have voted

1. 1. Grade it

It's... something. It's like they said 'let's make a political thriller with a semi-bankable character that looks like every other political thriller out there' and Branagh said 'yeah I'll direct it if I can play a hammy villain' and then went on to make a serviceable movie that doesn't make you want to kill yourself but that isn't very good either.

5/10

It needed more Sir Ken's awesome Russian accent :D

• Like 1

i actually liked it,it was good and i'm surprise because i vaguely remember this getting terrible reception or something ...

its an A-  for me ! 

chris pine was good as ryan , so happy to see kevin costner back in the mix ,there was a time there where i lost complete interest in him 

that said the plot was a little too gift-wrapped and russian plan a bit outlandish : really collapse the american economy ? 

keira was ok i guess but yeah on the accent i couldnt decide if she was british or american , makes those brits who master the american accents look good 

talking about the other jack ryan films i did like harrison ford , but its been very long since i saw them , sum of all fears with ben affleck is more fresh in my mind because i enjoyed it so much i bought the dvd and rewatched it a couple times over the years

what i did like about that one was the bomb actually went off , nothing irks me more when the good guy catches the bad guy with average joe unaware of what nearly happened , no i want consequences , i want blood i want mayhem and then yeh sure catch the bad guy , but jeeze let him be bad or else where is the fun in the hero saving the day ?

i didnt know this was a reboot attempt i just thought it was a new one with a new actor , this was def better than the spy/comedy movie chris pine did with tom hardy and reese whiterspoon , now that was a snoozer

Kenneth Branagh: You think this iz good movie Numbers?

Numbers: Why yes Sir Ken, I do.

Competently made with lots of good tension and solid acting. Only things I would have liked is for the prologue sequence to be a little longer (it feels a bit choppy and rushed) and for someone else to have been the action hero in the finale (since the Ryan character was pretty close to the novel counterpart until he gained a couple levels on the Jason Bourne scale suddenly for the last bit).

B+

• Like 2

this movie was a real missed opportunity. They should have adapted one of Clancy's stories instead of writing their own generic one (updating it of course). They also should have cast Pine as Jack Ryan Jr. instead, and brought back Ford as Ryan Sr. thus giving a connection to the films people remember. I don't understand the obsession with rebooting everything when you have the opportunity to continue from the original films. 

• Like 1