grey ghost

Ghost in the Shell | March 31, 2017 | Scarlett Johansson | Paramount | New Trailer on page 43!!!

5 minutes ago, drdungbeetle said:

Considering how bad Attack on Titan live action was, I think it's safe to say Japan tanks its own animes in live action adaptations quite frequently. Shin Godzilla was an absolute best case scenario and miracle for 2010s JP genre film.

Shin Godzilla is one of the movies from the Godzilla franchise and in Japan, its franchise started from 1954 and kept on releasing similar movies in which Godzilla battles against any forms of giants like Mechagodzilla, Space Godzilla, etc. So, Godzilla franchise is not based on anime.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, drdungbeetle said:

At the risk of sounding like a huge jerk, maybe it was good that Rinko Kikuchi wasn't the lead in this film. It had many problems in addition to the lead's ethnicity and that great Paramount marketing to pound it home. Do people seriously want the first big break for a Japanese female lead to get "Catwomaned"?

Yes, she probably dodged a bullet, in terms of appearing in "a flop". However, the irony is a good deal of the problems in the movie (at least those dealing with culture and subtext) would go away. It'd be a better movie with literally no other changes.

note: this is not a reflection against ScarJo. I think she did a fine job with what she was given.

• Like 3

Just now, RandomJC said:

If you're calling it Detective Conan, then you certainly know more about it than 99% of the US.

I'm not an American. My friends and I know more about Conan since we bought its comic books when I was 7.

29 minutes ago, KevinPr said:

Shin Godzilla is one of the movies from the Godzilla franchise and in Japan, its franchise started from 1954 and kept on releasing similar movies in which Godzilla battles against any forms of giants like Mechagodzilla, Space Godzilla, etc. So, Godzilla franchise is not based on anime.

I meant that it was very high quality in relation to other Japanese genre films like the Attack on Titan adaptation, not that it was anime based. 

10 minutes ago, KevinPr said:

I'm not an American. My friends and I know more about Conan since we bought its comic books when I was 7.

My point was the American title was changed to Case Closed. (I don't know where you are from, but I was under the impression it was Case Closed in the UK.)

My larger point was that Detective Conan is very obscure. Case Closed a touch less obscure. It wasn't even able to garner enough interest in a dub to last a bit over 100 episodes, while One Piece or Fairy Tail flew past that mark. Add on that even Viz had to slow down the manga translation due to sales. 

Conan is just popular in anime circles, but no where else. 

Also, I love anime nerds talking about love action anime and yet keep citing the same three movies over and over again, like those are the only live action adaptations of anime/manga ever made.

Edited by RandomJC

10 minutes ago, Tele Came Back said:

Yes, she probably dodged a bullet, in terms of appearing in "a flop". However, the irony is a good deal of the problems in the movie (at least those dealing with culture and subtext) would go away. It'd be a better movie with literally no other changes.

note: this is not a reflection against ScarJo. I think she did a fine job with what she was given.

Just casting Rinku wouldn't have fixed the sucky script. Actors are often the least important part of a production, especially one as production and SFX oriented as this one. Expecting Rinku to save this like saying Halle Berry could've saved Catwoman because she was black like Julie Newmar.

1 minute ago, drdungbeetle said:

Just casting Rinku wouldn't have fixed the sucky script. Actors are often the least important part of a production, especially one as production and SFX oriented as this one. Expecting Rinku to save this like saying Halle Berry could've saved Catwoman because she was black like Julie Newmar.

Black like Julie Newmar??

4 minutes ago, RandomJC said:

My point was the American title was changed to Case Closed. (I don't know where you are from, but I was under the impression it was Case Closed in the UK.)

My larger point was that Detective Conan is very obscure. Case Closed a touch less obscure. It wasn't even able to garner enough interest in a dub to last a bit over 100 episodes, while One Piece or Fairy Tail flew past that mark. Add on that even Viz had to slow down the manga translation due to sales. 

Also, I love anime nerds talking about love action anime and yet keep citing the same three movies over and over again, like those are the only live action adaptations of anime/manga ever made.

The only good ones I hear about are Oldboy, Parasyte, Ruroni Kenshin, and depending on who you ask, Death Note. Most of the others are pretty disliked.

2 minutes ago, RandomJC said:

Oh yeah! I know that the Western version is called Case Closed. Sorry!

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Mulder said:

The only good ones I hear about are Oldboy, Parasyte, Ruroni Kenshin, and depending on who you ask, Death Note. Most of the others are pretty disliked.

Disliked by who? And they make a lot of live action adaptations. I mean a lot. Just look up the list of movies based on manga/anime. If the majority of them are as bad as anime nerds claim, I guarantee that studios wouldn't be wasting time and money on them.

3 minutes ago, RandomJC said:

Disliked by who? And they make a lot of live action adaptations. I mean a lot. Just look up the list of movies based on manga/anime. If the majority of them are as bad as anime nerds claim, I guarantee that studios wouldn't be wasting time and money on them.

They make moderate amounts of money but the only ones to really be giant successes were Death Note, Parasyte, and Ruroni Kenshin. 

22 minutes ago, drdungbeetle said:

Of course not. But a lot of the unintentional subtext, and some of the poor directing choices when it came to cultural performances, would've been alleviated. It still would've been a better movie.

• Like 4

3 hours ago, Nova said:

How many times do white people get to fail in big budget movies only to get hired again? And I'm not saying there's anything wrong with that. We all fail. That's not the point. But this whole "well if an asian was cast in it, it wouldn't have done any better," like you don't know that. You have absolutely no proof to make that kind of statement. Just like I wouldn't know if it would have been successful. But the point is if white actors and actresses get to be in big budget films even after they've been in box office bombs, then how come minority actors aren't at least given the chance to be the face of a franchise/big budget film. 

Post/comment of the year is locked 

preach.gif

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Tele Came Back said:

Of course not. But a lot of the unintentional subtext, and some of the poor directing choices when it came to cultural performances, would've been alleviated. It still would've been a better movie.

The unintentional subtext was terrible, but was probably lost on much of the audience. It still would've been a Paramount dump movie and Rinku would've been partially blamed (as opposed to Paramount choosing to throw Sanders under the bus). "Stars" never get blamed and get a billion chances, everyone else is expendable.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, filmlover said:

Finally saw this tonight. It's biggest sin is that it's boring most of the time, really.

Producers went cheap. Half of the actions scenes lacked momentum.

Edited by Belakor