Shawn Robbins

Weekend numbers Feb 14-16

DHD Weekend Estimates 

1). The Lego Movie (WB), 3,775 theaters (0) / $13M Fri. / 3-day cume: $47M to $48M/ 4-day cume: $59M / Total Cume: $140M / Wk 2

2). About Last Night (Sony), 2,253 theaters / $12.9M Fri. / 3-day cume: $30M+ / 4-day cume: $34.5M to $36M / Wk 1

3). RoboCop (Sony) 3,372 theaters / $6.8M Fri. / 3-day cume: $18.6M / 4-day cume: $22M to $25M / Wk 1

4). Endless Love (Uni) 2,893 theaters / $7.3M Fri. / 3-day cume: $17.3M to $17.9M / 4-day cume: $19.7M to $20.4M / Wk 1

5). Monuments Men (Sony) 3,083 theaters (0) / $4.9M Fri. / 3-day cume: $16.6M to $17.9M / 4-day cume: $19M to $20M / Total Cume: $46.7M to $48.3M / Wk 2

6). Ride Along (Uni) 2,511 theaters (-174) / $3.4M Fri. / 3-day cume: $9.2M to $12M / 4-day cume: $13M  to $14M / Total Cume: $118M to $121M / Wk 5

7). Winter’s Tale (WB) 2,965 theaters / $3.6M Fri. / 3-day cume: $8.9M to 9.6M / 4-day cume: $10.2M to $11M / Wk 1

8). Frozen (DIS) 2,101 theaters (-359) / $1.7M Fri. / 3-day cume: $6.9M / 4-day cume: $8.5M to $9M / Total Cume: $378M to $379.2M / Wk 13

9./10). Lone Survivor (UNI), 2013 theaters (-856) / $1.2M Fri. / 3-day cume: $4.3M / 4-day cume: $4.9M to $5M / Total Cume: $119.3M / Wk 8

That Awkard Moment (FOC) 1,922 (-887) / $1.5M Fri. / 3-day cume: $4.3M / 4-day cume: $4.5M to $5M / Total Cume: $22.2M / Wk 3

No, going by RTH's Saturday numbers I can't see how RoboCop only makes 18m 3 day.And by past trends LEGO movie will be over 60m

Huh?  I'm saying that our community has always been better at extrapolating than any media outlet (which includes DHD).  I was agreeing with the essence of your remark that DHD was underpredicting.  DHD/Nikki/Variety/etc. all do a poor job week-after-week, year-after-year at guessing at weekend #s when they're given Friday figures.  We're much better at it.

Huh? I'm saying that our community has always been better at extrapolating than any media outlet (which includes DHD). I was agreeing with the essence of your remark that DHD was underpredicting. DHD/Nikki/Variety/etc. all do a poor job week-after-week, year-after-year at guessing at weekend #s when they're given Friday figures. We're much better at it.

Oooooh, sorry I misread your post.And I agree, mostly because we have a large collaboration of people to correct each other's mistakes.
  • Like 2

The "sci" in sci-fi is "science", I definitely wouldn't put the rapture under that heading, whether you believe in it or not. Fantasy maybe...Posted Image

I guess you do believe in the rapture then. :mellow:

post-Tribulation rapture, why yes I do.  Not fantasy to me.

Making  about $13m more isn't destroying.

A non-3D movie led by a heroine which wasn't well known until last year in the movies is destroying a well known Marvel hero.  Yes that is destroying.  Tony Stark had the suit and 3D to make that much money, Katniss only had a bow.

• Like 3

A non-3D movie led by a heroine which wasn't well known until last year in the movies is destroying a well known Marvel hero.  Yes that is destroying.  Tony Stark had the suit and 3D to make that much money, Katniss only had a bow

LOL ok I'll give you that but...

That bow was no match for the suit and 3D WW.

She got chewed up and spit out.

1.2b WW vs. 861m.

Edited by ECSTASY
  • Like 2

DHD Weekend Estimates 

8). Frozen (DIS) 2,101 theaters (-359) / $1.7M Fri. / 3-day cume: $6.9M / 4-day cume: $8.5M to $9M / Total Cume: $378M to $379.2M / Wk 13

That would mean based off of Rth's Saturday numbers and BOM's Friday numbers Frozen is flat on Sunday... something doesn't add up.(Unfortunately I trust Rth way more than deadline.  That means a drop from last week though smaller.)

Edited by 23IsEverywhere

A non-3D movie led by a heroine which wasn't well known until last year in the movies is destroying a well known Marvel hero.  Yes that is destroying.  Tony Stark had the suit and 3D to make that much money, Katniss only had a bow.

Lets look at this from a different angle.  Marvel's 8th at best (pre movies) most popular comic book character played by an actor whose  career almost fell apart just a few years (well closer to a decade) ago was in a Superhero movie that included more PTSD than all other super hero movies combined.  This movie came within 13M of a sequel to a 400M movie that is based off of a popular book series and a better movie.  B)

Edited by 23IsEverywhere
  • Like 1

LOL ok I'll give you that but...

That bow was no match for the suit and 3D WW.

She got chewed up and spit out.

1.2b WW vs. 861m.

A well known American hero being destroyed by a girl with a bow in American domestic boxoffice.  Which the American audience was more impressed?  A girl with a bow or the man with the suit?

That would mean based off of Rth's Saturday numbers and BOM's Friday numbers Frozen is flat on Sunday... something doesn't add up.(Unfortunately I trust Rth way more than deadline. That means a drop from last week though smaller.)

Always hard to extrapolate when it's single digits. Being off as little as 200k on a single day could make a lot of a difference. If Frozen goes up a little on Friday and Rth is slightly low then it looks possible to me.
  • Like 1

A well known American hero being destroyed by a girl with a bow in American domestic boxoffice.  Which the American audience was more impressed?  A girl with a bow or the man with the suit?

Sure American audience. But why just limit this to America. Movies are more global than ever.  But we are talking about box office though. Right? And you really can't say Katniss was unknown. She is based on a hugely popular set of books. I won't argue about it though. You can have it, lol.

When people say things like Catching Fire destroyed IM3 like IM3 didn't make any money I can't help but point out the overall numbers. 

Edited by ECSTASY
  • Like 1

Sure American audience. But why just limit this to America. Movies are more global than ever.  But we are talking about box office though. Right? And you really can't say Katniss was unknown. She is based on a hugely popular set of books. I won't argue about it though. You can have it, lol.

When people say things like Catching Fire destroyed IM3 like IM3 didn't make any money I can't help but point out the overall numbers. 

Yeah, looking at just DOM #s is shortsighted with the way the global box office is today.