baumer

The Wind Rises (2013)

13 members have voted

1. 1. Grade it

This might not be Miyazaki's final film, but from an artistic standpoint, it honestly makes sense that he made this with a conclusion in mind. It's a graceful reflection of his career in the though about the personal cost of making something beautiful, explained in the context of a visionary plane designer in early 20th century Japan. Jiro just wanted to make beautiful airplanes, insisting to himself that he knew why they would be use, but when it finally becomes painfully clear to him at the final scene, it's a moment of haunting yet subtle catharsis. The entire movie works like this, acting as a work of sheer beauty and wonder (the Ghibli charm, despite the more grounded setting in reality, is all over this film.) of the world that Miyazaki has created, yet never shying away from creating a powerful message.

The Wind Rises is a masterpiece. Go see it!

• Like 2

I think if your expecting Spirited Away or Princess Mononoke this is not the film for you. 

Its a good story but imo it was more suited for a live action film.

The way Ghibli animates its much better suited for grand fantasy settings. 

B

One of these movies that left me in pieces after I watched it. Miyazaki's direction is really something to behold, I teared up in sheer amazement and awe. An anime that doesn't look like an anime, without all (in varying degrees) silliness, annoying character archetypes, bad humor and the need to preach. For some reason, TWR reminded of Boyhood in its epicness.

It's not just a great anime, it's a great movie overall, a fucking masterpiece for the ages. 100/100

Studio Ghibli Marathon
The Wind Rises 100/100
Princess Mononoke 80/100
Rosso Porco 75/100
Castle in the Sky 60/100
Kiki's Delivery Service 55/100
My Neighbor Totoro 45/100
Nausicaa and the Valley of the Wind 35/100