JJ-8

Australian Box Office | ....

Don't forget NSW goes on school holidays this week, so it might hold better then those other films in the next two weeks.

It's quite strange actually. For once it wasn't a staggered release; it was a staggered school holiday schedule.

Just some updated numbers:

Top 10 of 2013:

1. (12) Life of Pi - 4.9m / 27.9m

2. (3) The Croods - 3.7m / 16.3m

3. (10) Django Unchained - 3.8m / 15.9m

4. (6) Oz: the Great and Powerful - 4.8m / 14.7m

5. (10) The Silver Linings Playbook - 2.3m / 13.8m

6. (4) A Good day to die hard - 3.8m / 10.3m

7. (3) GI Joe: Retaliation - 3.9m / 9.4m

8. (5) Jack Reacher - 2.9m / 8.7m

9. (7) Hansel & Gretel: Witch Hunters - 2.2m / 8.0m

10. (5) Gangster Squad - 2.3m / 7.4m

Highest opening weekend 2013:

1. Life of Pi - 4.9m

2. Oz: the Great and Powerful - 4.8m

3. GI Joe: Retaliation - 3.9m

4. A Good day to die hard - 3.8m

5. Django Unchained - 3.8m

Looking at this, I think that Oblivion given it's opening should be able to push it's way into the top 10.  However it's running out of time as I think Iron Man 3 might get into the top 10 first....Oblivion will need a further 4m before the 24th April.  If my instincts serve me right, I think that Iron Man 3 can manage a 12m+ Opening weekend....  Mostly thanks to The Avengers..  I don't see it reaching 50m however but 30m is a very strong chance and 40m isn't out of the question either.  The only film i see even thinking about 50m this year right now is one little film opening in november this year... after watching the teaser the other day i think catching fire is gonna live up to namesake and ... Catch Fire :P

Just some updated numbers:

Top 10 of 2013:

1. (12) Life of Pi - 4.9m / 27.9m

2. (3) The Croods - 3.7m / 16.3m

3. (10) Django Unchained - 3.8m / 15.9m

4. (6) Oz: the Great and Powerful - 4.8m / 14.7m

5. (10) The Silver Linings Playbook - 2.3m / 13.8m

6. (4) A Good day to die hard - 3.8m / 10.3m

7. (3) GI Joe: Retaliation - 3.9m / 9.4m

8. (5) Jack Reacher - 2.9m / 8.7m

9. (7) Hansel & Gretel: Witch Hunters - 2.2m / 8.0m

10. (5) Gangster Squad - 2.3m / 7.4m

Highest opening weekend 2013:

1. Life of Pi - 4.9m

2. Oz: the Great and Powerful - 4.8m

3. GI Joe: Retaliation - 3.9m

4. A Good day to die hard - 3.8m

5. Django Unchained - 3.8m

Looking at this, I think that Oblivion given it's opening should be able to push it's way into the top 10.  However it's running out of time as I think Iron Man 3 might get into the top 10 first....Oblivion will need a further 4m before the 24th April.  If my instincts serve me right, I think that Iron Man 3 can manage a 12m+ Opening weekend....  Mostly thanks to The Avengers..  I don't see it reaching 50m however but 30m is a very strong chance and 40m isn't out of the question either.  The only film i see even thinking about 50m this year right now is one little film opening in november this year... after watching the teaser the other day i think catching fire is gonna live up to namesake and ... Catch Fire :P

catching fire no way big overseas though..its not like harry potter in terms of international audience

man of steel will be no.1 in aus...russ crowe factor and 45mil is possible.

iron man 3 - 35mil

Edited by Halba

I disagree here... ummm the hunger games made more than 30m here. which isn't bad... man of steel #1 of year... hmmm i don't see that one coming anytime soon.   i'll remind u of this.... superman returns only managed 14m down under.  I just don't see man of steel magically leaping into the 40m+ area which it is what it will take to be no.1 here...  if you said man of steel can make it to 20m here i'd think that's more realistic.....

here's my prediction for the top 5 of 2013......

1. Catching Fire - 49m

2. The Hobbit 2 - 42m

3. Iron Man 3 - 40m

4. Star Trek into darkness - 34m

5. Fast & Furious 6 - 33m

There might be an animated film that makes it into the 30's but i'm not sure which one at this point. (the croods is obviously only head for around low 20's.  

Man of steel i'm putting int he low 20's for reference.  Frankly i think Thor can be in amongst that but it's facing some stiff competition there ...

many other films to mention which can make it into the high 20' and possible 30's but only time will tell..

here's my prediction for the top 5 of 2013......

1. Catching Fire - 49m

2. The Hobbit 2 - 42m

3. Iron Man 3 - 40m

4. Star Trek into darkness - 34m

5. Fast & Furious 6 - 33m

Catching Fire and Star Trek will come nowhere near those numbers; remember this isn't America. I also expect a dip in grosses for The Hobbit part 2 and don't expect Iron Man 3 to make 40.

Edited by pieman

I disagree here... ummm the hunger games made more than 30m here. which isn't bad... man of steel #1 of year... hmmm i don't see that one coming anytime soon. i'll remind u of this.... superman returns only managed 14m down under. I just don't see man of steel magically leaping into the 40m+ area which it is what it will take to be no.1 here... if you said man of steel can make it to 20m here i'd think that's more realistic.....here's my prediction for the top 5 of 2013......1. Catching Fire - 49m2. The Hobbit 2 - 42m3. Iron Man 3 - 40m4. Star Trek into darkness - 34m5. Fast & Furious 6 - 33mThere might be an animated film that makes it into the 30's but i'm not sure which one at this point. (the croods is obviously only head for around low 20's. Man of steel i'm putting int he low 20's for reference. Frankly i think Thor can be in amongst that but it's facing some stiff competition there ...many other films to mention which can make it into the high 20' and possible 30's but only time will tell..

Hmm.. I'm a bit skeptical on Catching Fire; that's a $19m increase from a $30m grosser, which is a massive ask.And as for Star Trek - it will be lucky to get near $24m, let alone $34m. Remember ST09 only made around $16m. Edited by Robertron of Oz

Catching Fire is around $35m for me. A lot of people weren't overly impressed by it.

The Hobbit should get a small but modest increase IMO. Reception was slightly better then expected.

IM3 should get $35-$40.

Star Trek I think should be able to break past $25. Fantastic WOM from the first plus Cumberbatch will definitely help.

Monsters University/Despeciable Me 2 should be able to hit $30, with MU a chance for $35-$40m.

ok so who was number 1 over the weekend... from international daily...

Oblivion ranked third with $2m USD

the Croods made 2.2m USD

I am thinkign that Olympus has fallen is in the mix here (only other film that could be in the top 3... )