Olive

Best Animated Feature-2014

So I'm wondering how predictive these wins are for the Oscar.

The Outstanding Animation award at the VES has been given since 2008. In that time the film that won there also won the best animated feature Oscar except in 2010. HTTYD got the VES award over Toy Story 3 but lost the Oscar race.

The Outstanding Animated Character award has been given since 2002. It's also lined up with the Oscar winner every year except 2010 (HTTYD again), 2006, and 2002.

We can probably discount 2002, as well. There were only two films nominated: Spirit: Stallion of the Cimarron and Stuart Little 2, which won. However Stuart Little 2 wasn't really an animated film to begin with.

In 2006, Cars won the character animation award at the VES, but Happy Feet won the Oscar.

So it seems they line up with the Oscars more often than the Annies do.

• Like 1

DreamWorks Animation is spending $1 million on their How to Train Your Dragon 2 Oscar campaign:

http://www.thestreet.com/story/13045414/1/dreamworks-animation-spends-1-million-to-win-oscar-for-your-dragon-2.html

It has been a loooooong time since DWA last won an Oscar.

DWA's 2 wins is still more than Walt Disney Animation Studios' 1 win though. ;)

Edited by Mojoguy

That's not a good thing, yo. Poor Lilo, unfortunate to come in the same year as Spirited Away. And Wreck-It Ralph was plain robbed. :(

Much as I liked Brave, I myself would have preferred it Ralph won that year, that or Paranorman.

Edited by Fancyarcher
  • Like 1

My personal ranking:

1. How to Train Your Dragon 2

2. Big Hero 6

Haven’t seen Boxtrolls, SotS or TotPK.

Predicted winner: How to Train Your Dragon 2

I'd currently rank them:

1. Kaguya (Arguably it's Takahata's best film.)

2. HTTYD2

3. BH6

4. Boxtrolls

I won't get a chance to see Song of the Sea until the 27th, though. I hope for good things, since Secret of Kells is so fantastic.

It's starting to look like a tossup between Dragon and Hero, though. If they were slightly weaker, I think Kaguya could sneak in for the deserved win, but it's probably not in the cards. Unfortunately, with the way the animation industry is looking, it's unlikely we'll ever get a situation where a plucky underdog can take the crown. There are no years that will have a truly weak slate to allow it.

• Like 1

I'd say the category is still a bit of a toss up:

Dragon is the current frontrunner, but Kaguya has a small amount of really passionate support, and BH6 has a lot on fans in technical side.

The winner is going to end up being what the grandchildren of the voters liked the most! :lol:

So Dragon has already won this?

I can't see BH6 winning since it hasn't won any major best animated movie award, they have all been going to Dragon or LEGO.

The two foreign 2d movies will split the vote between each other.

Boxtrolls has a small chance at a win if the vote splitting happens between the two blockbuster type movies Dragon and BH6.

I have to say this year is so much more interesting than last year, when Frozen was pretty much the assured winner everywhere. :lol:

Brutally Honest Oscar Ballot No. 5

➻ BEST ANIMATED FEATURE

I only watch the ones that my kid wants to see, so I didn't see [The] Boxtrolls but I saw Big Hero 6 and I saw [How to Train Your] Dragon [2]. We both connected to Big Hero 6 — I just found it to be more satisfying. The biggest snub for me was Chris Miller and Phil Lord not getting in for [The] Lego . When a movie is that successful and culturally hits all the right chords and does that kind of box-office — for that movie not to be in over these two obscure freakin' Chinese fuckin' things that nobody ever freakin' saw [an apparent reference to the Japanese film The Tale of the Princess Kaguya, as well as the Irish film Song of the Sea]? That is my biggest bitch. Most people didn't even know what they were! How does that happen? That, to me, is the most ridiculous thing I've ever seen.

MY VOTE: Big Hero 6

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/race/brutally-honest-oscar-ballot-no-773905

Brutally Honest Oscar Ballot No. 5

➻ BEST ANIMATED FEATURE

I only watch the ones that my kid wants to see, so I didn't see [The] Boxtrolls but I saw Big Hero 6 and I saw [How to Train Your] Dragon [2]. We both connected to Big Hero 6 — I just found it to be more satisfying. The biggest snub for me was Chris Miller and Phil Lord not getting in for [The] Lego . When a movie is that successful and culturally hits all the right chords and does that kind of box-office — for that movie not to be in over these two obscure freakin' Chinese fuckin' things that nobody ever freakin' saw [an apparent reference to the Japanese film The Tale of the Princess Kaguya, as well as the Irish film Song of the Sea]? That is my biggest bitch. Most people didn't even know what they were! How does that happen? That, to me, is the most ridiculous thing I've ever seen.

MY VOTE: Big Hero 6

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/race/brutally-honest-oscar-ballot-no-773905

What a jackass.

• Like 3