Totem

Avatar: The Way of Water | 16 DEC 2022 | Don't worry guys, critics like it

My price point for a 4K TV is £700/$1000. I'll bite when they get to that point.

The problem I see down the road are the ISPs like Comcast and Verizon throttling heavy 4K users.  They are already limiting bandwidth for Netflix power users.  You also have to deal with their data caps.   :badday:

The problem I see down the road are the ISPs like Comcast and Verizon throttling heavy 4K users.  They are already limiting bandwidth for Netflix power users.  You also have to deal with their data caps.   :badday:

damn lil mac perhaps fibre optics going for gb/sec speeds willl change the throttling  limitton problems

4K in YouTube is an absurdity. It's incredibly compressed and 99% of people don't even have a monitor or TV capable of viewing it. Right now, consumer 4K is marketing shill and nothing more.

Yep, true native 4 k is just not available to the public yet.
  • Like 2

Technically, Sony offers some 4K movies on a giant hard disk that you can purchase/lease from them, but it's not cheap and there's very few movies available.

It is for a wealthy and nerdy elite.4k as a universal broadcast standard is not for tomorrow that s for sure.1080p is 1k or 2 k ? I always forget ...

Technically, Sony offers some 4K movies on a giant hard disk that you can purchase/lease from them, but it's not cheap and there's very few movies available.

Don't the new blu-rays have the capability of playing 4K?  I remember reading about it.  As well as expanding to 1TB memory in the blu-ray.

Edited by Klingo

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blu-ray_Disc

On July 20, 2010, the research team of Sony and Japanese Tohoku University announced the joint development of a blue-violet laser,[75] which will help in creating Blu-ray discs with a capacity of 1 TB using only two layers (and potentially more than 1 TB with additional layering). By comparison, the first blue laser was invented in 1996, with the first prototype discs coming four years later.

On January 7, 2013, Sony announced that it would release "Mastered in 4K" Blu-ray Disc titles which are sourced at 4K and encoded at 1080p.[76] "Mastered in 4K" Blu-ray Disc titles can be played on existing Blu-ray Disc players and will have a larger color space using xvYCC.[76][77]

On January 14, 2013, Blu-ray Disc Association president, Andy Parsons, stated that a task force was created three months prior to conduct a study concerning an extension to the Blu-ray Disc specification that would add the ability to contain 4K Ultra HD video.[78][79]

Don't the new blu-rays have the capability of playing 4K?  I remember reading about it.  As well as expanding to 1TB memory in the blu-ray.

Yeah, it is a possibility but things are moving very slowly on this front.A 4 k film file size must be massive.
  • Like 1

H ey future , no expert but i think hd is 1k , ultra hd is 2k, and quad hd is 4k. Lol at 8k tvs coming and we cant make 2k hdtv astandard yet :wtf:

No, resolution is measured by horizontal lines. 720p is 1.2K (1280x720), 1080p is close to 2K (1920x1080). But broadcasters (right now, at least) don't use 1080p, they'll broadcast at either 1080i (fields of 960p alternating lines) or they'll do 720p (true full-frame, at 1280x720). Blu-ray uses 1080p24 (24 frames of full-frame 1920x1080).

what do the rich pay for this very limited butjaw droppingly good 4k stuff you think tele? $25000-80,000 or more?

You can buy a 4K TV for 2-3,000, that's not necessarily the limiting factor (and, of course, you get what you pay for... higher-quality TVs or projectors are significantly more expensive). And the Sony 4K player isn't necessarily super-expensive either... it's about $700. It's that if you're streaming content, you're basically losing the reason to watch 4K anyway, since streaming compression is going to be significant enough to minimize the benefit. And you have limited movies -- a couple hundred, I think. And... more to the point, many of them probably aren't mastered to 4K to begin with! They'll have a 2K master that's up-sampled to 4K. So, it's not particularly worth it... unless you use a professional cinema camera for your home videos.

On January 7, 2013, Sony announced that it would release "Mastered in 4K" Blu-ray Disc titles which are sourced at 4K and encoded at 1080p.[76] "Mastered in 4K" Blu-ray Disc titles can be played on existing Blu-ray Disc players and will have a larger color space using xvYCC.[76][77]

Yes, but that's basically marketing speak. Even if they're mastered in 4K, if they're encoded in 1080p (which they have to be, to meet the current Blu-ray specs and playback), then they're 1080p videos just like anything else. Now, mastering in 4K is nice, and good, and I'm not knocking it at all. But that's not the equivalent of playing back that movie at true 4K... you're playing it back in "almost 2k".

It's always helpful to keep the whole pipeline in mind, and remember that in order to be truly 4K (or whatever resolution), it needs to stay that way through the entire process: it needs to be acquired in 4K (or more), mastered in 4K (or more), projected or played back at 4K (or more) on a display or screen that's capable of 4K (or more).

That being said, it's also worth keeping in mind that resolution is only part of the equation for a beautiful looking image and there are other factors that're equally important (if not moreso): frame rate, shutter speed/angle, dynamic range (both in acquisition and playback), brightness of projection, color fidelity, etc.

• Like 4

No, resolution is measured by horizontal lines. 720p is 1.2K (1280x720), 1080p is close to 2K (1920x1080). But broadcasters (right now, at least) don't use 1080p, they'll broadcast at either 1080i (fields of 960p alternating lines) or they'll do 720p (true full-frame, at 1280x720). Blu-ray uses 1080p24 (24 frames of full-frame 1920x1080).

You can buy a 4K TV for 2-3,000, that's not necessarily the limiting factor (and, of course, you get what you pay for... higher-quality TVs or projectors are significantly more expensive). And the Sony 4K player isn't necessarily super-expensive either... it's about $700. It's that if you're streaming content, you're basically losing the reason to watch 4K anyway, since streaming compression is going to be significant enough to minimize the benefit. And you have limited movies -- a couple hundred, I think. And... more to the point, many of them probably aren't mastered to 4K to begin with! They'll have a 2K master that's up-sampled to 4K. So, it's not particularly worth it... unless you use a professional cinema camera for your home videos.

Yes, but that's basically marketing speak. Even if they're mastered in 4K, if they're encoded in 1080p (which they have to be, to meet the current Blu-ray specs and playback), then they're 1080p videos just like anything else. Now, mastering in 4K is nice, and good, and I'm not knocking it at all. But that's not the equivalent of playing back that movie at true 4K... you're playing it back in "almost 2k".

It's always helpful to keep the whole pipeline in mind, and remember that in order to be truly 4K (or whatever resolution), it needs to stay that way through the entire process: it needs to be acquired in 4K (or more), mastered in 4K (or more), projected or played back at 4K (or more) on a display or screen that's capable of 4K (or more).

That being said, it's also worth keeping in mind that resolution is only part of the equation for a beautiful looking image and there are other factors that're equally important (if not moreso): frame rate, shutter speed/angle, dynamic range (both in acquisition and playback), brightness of projection, color fidelity, etc.

Reminds me of VCR upconversion to DVD back in the day.  Now you have DVD upconversion to 1080p.  

• Like 2

I saw a movie on a theater screen that I believe advertised itself as 4K.  It was noticeably clearer than the usual, but not worth the premium price.

The movie was advertised as 4K, or the theater? 4K projection isn't unusual these days (though there are still lots of places using 2K), but it's still fairly rare to have a movie mastered in 4K.

The movie was advertised as 4K, or the theater? 4K projection isn't unusual these days (though there are still lots of places using 2K), but it's still fairly rare to have a movie mastered in 4K.

4K projection I'm pretty sure.  What does 4K projection mean?