Totem

Avatar: The Way of Water | 16 DEC 2022 | Don't worry guys, critics like it

Just now, IronJimbo said:

Avatar opened to 2700 theatres, Avatar 2 will open to 4000+. Avatar wasn't based on any exisiting franchise, Avatar 2 will have fans coming in.

That's why it will open bigger but also drop bigger.

As for LOTR, FOTR & TTT sold way less tickets than Avatar domestically, it had room to grow.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Baumer Fett said:

Far far far from record setting films.

AoU isn't a good example of a sequel. There had been the Iron Man, Thor, Cpt America, and Hulk films leading up to it. Avengers was them all coming together as a big superhero bash. Avengers was a sequel already in a way.

Avatar was as fresh as they come, there really isn't many good comparisions to make. Avatar is it's own beast and using Avengers as a comparision is imo dishonest.

Ellesar knows what hes talking about. I understand if some new people don't get this stuff but Kal has been following the box office in posting on forums for about 15 years. He should understand that stuff by now.

• Like 5

16 hours ago, Darth Dexter of Hoth said:

Cameron always delays his films. Cameron is a perfectionist. They haven't started filming yet and Cameron will being filming three movies at once.  While he is filming Avatar 3 and 4. Avatar 2 will be in post production. Cameron will want to make sure everything is perfect. 

How horribly misinformed - he's stated himself that he's not a perfectionist, but a 'rightist' - ergo he likes to do things right. Filming starts in 4 weeks, and all 3 films are being filmed at the exact same time, not in sequential order.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, IronJimbo said:

Avatar opened to 2700 theatres, Avatar 2 will open to 4000+. Avatar wasn't based on any exisiting franchise, Avatar 2 will have fans coming in.

1 The Lord of the Rings: The Return of the King NL $377,027,325        
2 The Lord of the Rings: The Two Towers NL $339,789,881        
3 The Lord of the Rings: The Fellowship of the Ring NL

$313,364,114

PS thanks Ethan, Jimbo and fmpro.  Some posters here hate when I point out how flawed their logic is. Then when I win,  they're stratching their heads.  And you notice I'm 96% civil on here.  Even when in defending my point or my franchise.  Happy New Year my friends and everyone.  Loving the discussion and looks like Jedi's spoke to soon about awakens beating out titanic in the all time spot to be number 2 lol.  Not today

^

Amen Jimbo. And if James hadn't taken off for 12 yrs and still easily beat his own movie.  A first in history, we could say it's logical for Bauer to base those low numbers off historical data.  Lol 

Bottomline just James die hard fans plus the new assure us 550m Max domestic isn't logical.  

• Like 1

1 minute ago, IronJimbo said:

AoU isn't a good example of a sequel. There had been the Iron Man, Thor, Cpt America, and Hulk films leading up to it. Avengers was them all coming together as a big superhero bash. Avengers was a sequel already in a way.

Avatar was as fresh as they come, there really isn't many good comparisions to make. Avatar is it's own beast and using Avengers as a comparision is imo dishonest.

Its a perfect ecample.

16 hours ago, AJG said:

Cameron thought Terminator Genesis was brilliant. 

I feel that says a lot.

False - he just said it was better than 3 & 4, and that he saw it as the proper continuation of the trilogy - stop putting words in people's mouths, that's libel.

• Like 2

14 hours ago, Ozymandias said:

This thread is becoming a masterpiece lol, I see the Cameron loonies are coming out of the woodwork.  Every defense of Avatar more or less comes down to it being the #1 grossing film and its about to lose that so they're a bit dazed and confused.  It makes SW7's impending 950m-1.05b gross all the sweeter.  Theres been an awakening my friends, embrace it.

You actually believe TFA will make more than $2.78B and yet you have the audacity to call other person's 'loonies'. The hypocrisy is astounding.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, theultimatebiu said:

Well I'm convinced. Avatar 2 will collect between $400m-$1.2bn domestic.

Now, when will we see a poster? What will be the hook this time? 

the same as it always is

"A James Cameron Film"

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Daniel Dylan Davis said:

At this point, I think Star Wars Vs. Cameron is far more interesting than Marvel Vs. DC, which just comes off like fanboys being childish and stupid. At least with the Cameron Vs. Star Wars thing, you actually have the possibility of Avatar 2 regaining its position as the highest grossing film ever, over TFA.

Just my two cents.

This implies TFA will even beat Avatar...

• Like 1

Holy shit biu.....i dont think ive liked more than one of your posts at one time before. This is awesome. We finally have something in common......kals annoying posts lol

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, IronJimbo said:

the same as it always is

"A James Cameron Film"

While we don't see eye to eye in terms of Avatar 2's box office potential, you could not have said it better. "A James Cameron Film" - that is the hook, nothing else needed.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Baumer Fett said:

Holy shit biu.....i dont think ive liked more than one of your posts at one time before. This is awesome. We finally have something in common......kals annoying posts lol

See everyone. If you agree with me it brings nothing but joy. 

Now, if we could work on your love for Transformer and Twilight movies, you would have this feeling more often.

• Like 3