Totem

Avatar: The Way of Water | 16 DEC 2022 | Don't worry guys, critics like it

• Community Manager
26 minutes ago, JamesCameronScholar said:

At least someone is using data, even if it is speculative. It's superior to the hyperbole and feelings that a lot of the other posts seem to be basing their predictions on.

Trying to use historical data to accurately predict box office grosses is like trying to use random chemicals to create gold.

1 minute ago, IronJimbo said:

http://wegotthiscovered.com/movies/leonardo-dicaprio-playing-spiderman-james-cameron/

If they let Jim do spiderman we wouldn't have the family tier humour and tv series action superhero flicks we have today. It would have grew into a stronger genre.

Oh, what could have been... although I do hear that Jim is a fan of Snyder's comic book films, so far at least. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, IronJimbo said:

http://wegotthiscovered.com/movies/leonardo-dicaprio-playing-spiderman-james-cameron/

If they let Jim do spiderman we wouldn't have the family tier humour and tv series action superhero flicks we have today. It would have grew into a stronger genre.

I doubt that. The Dark Knight trilogy did not ave family tier humor. 

• Community Manager
Just now, JamesCameronScholar said:

What other data would you suggest we use to make predictions then?

Each box office run tends to be unique.  You can use historical data but you must also use other factors as well-many of which have yet to appear for Avatar 2 like marketing job. I have no idea how Avatar 2 will perform.

1 minute ago, Darth Dexter of Hoth said:

If James Cameron directed Spider Man the plot and structure would be similar since Cameron is not a strong writer.  Cameron plot are very basic like most comic book movies.

Patently false. You can even read the scriptment yourself online - he intended it to be R-Rated. More libellous unfounded claims from a Star Wars avatar, I'm starting to feel like Phil Connors.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Darth Water Bottle said:

Each box office run tends to be unique.  You can use historical data but you must also use other factors as well-many of which have yet to appear for Avatar 2 like marketing job. I have no idea how Avatar 2 will perform.

I guess by your logic Rentrak et al. should just close up shop then.

• Like 1

• Community Manager
1 minute ago, JamesCameronScholar said:

Patently false. You can even read the scriptment yourself online - he intended it to be R-Rated. More libellous unfounded claims from a Star Wars avatar, I'm starting to feel like Phil Connors.

Making it R-rated doesn't mean squat on how simple or complicated a plot is. Some rated-R movies have very simple plots-like Mad Max: Fury Road. Also it's a good thing Spider-man wasn't R-rated. That would not only really limit the box office appeal but I can't see it being very fun/good either.

• Community Manager
Just now, JamesCameronScholar said:

I guess by your logic Rentrak et al. should just close up shop then.

Rentrak uses a lot of data we don't have usually have access to. They don't just look at historical data and make predictions that way. They use tracking info and other data that if we had access to, we could use that to make more accurate box office predictions. The data we have access to isn't sufficient to make any real predictions.

2 minutes ago, Darth Water Bottle said:

Making it R-rated doesn't mean squat on how simple or complicated a plot is. Some rated-R movies have very simple plots-like Mad Max: Fury Road. Also it's a good thing Spider-man wasn't R-rated. That would not only really limit the box office appeal but I can't see it being very fun/good either.

1. I should have perhaps used a semi-colon instead of a hyphen then, as I intended the R-rated fact as added trivia not adding to the initial point, although there is no common usage for the hyphen. Apologies for any confusion caused.

2. Unfounded opinion again - T2 was rated R and the highest grossing film of '91, and is widely regarded as both "good" and "fun".

• Like 1