Totem

Avatar: The Way of Water | 16 DEC 2022 | Don't worry guys, critics like it

Just now, Jayhawk said:

I'm sure there will be increased interest once the films come out. But I honestly don't know how big a draw the films will be for the park. It looks spectacular on it's own, which could be enough to draw a lot of people, especially if the 2 attractions are top-notch. Cars Land out in California is somewhat similar actually. I would say most people aren't exactly super excited about the Cars franchise, but the land is so well-done that it has become cherished by many Disney fans. Not a perfect 1 to 1 comparison, but that's how it could play out.

It looks spectacular on it's own, which could be enough to draw a lot of people, especially if the 2 attractions are top-notch

I was going to bring this point up because  Pandora is meant to be a magical place, and it the park captures that, the park could run on it's own feet. Then add on that a franchise that made over $10b dollars world wide (next 4 Avatars would have to average $1.8b), we could see a booming park.

Honestly getting impatient for the future, I want to see things play out so badly.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, IronJimbo said:

ironic in a way that Disney (MCU and Star Wars) has faith in Jim but their internet fans don't.

That article is citing the industry, theme park I'd wager in this case, as thinking it's risky.

Yes, that means then that internet fans also are skeptical for similar reasons. 

Let's not act like Disney never misfires: Lone Ranger, Alice 2, John Carter(which I actually liked but I digress).

1 minute ago, IronJimbo said:

I was going to bring this point up because  Pandora is meant to be a magical place, and it the park captures that, the park could run on it's own feet. Then add on that a franchise that made over $10b dollars world wide (next 4 Avatars would have to average $1.8b), we could see a booming park.

Honestly getting impatient for the future, I want to see things play out so badly.

It definitely will make Animal Kingdom a more complete park. It's awesome but there isn't too much to do. With Pandora, you've added a couple more hours of stuff worth doing. If only they would fix the stupid Dinosaur carnival area...

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, Jayhawk said:

To be honest, I'm not sure if Pandora will draw the crowds it needs to justify the cost of building it. It is likely going to be more expensive than Star Wars Land. But they did go all out with it, which, as a theme park fan, I'm very happy about.

Animal Kingdom is the one Disney Park that has been considered a 'half-day' park.  They have been desperate to find ways to get people there.  I'm sure they took a page out of California's DCA park re-do and realized that a half-assed job would fail.

Not sure how the movies will affect it.  I assume there is a hope that it'll draw some of the international travelers that have been migrating to Universal and HP.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Captain Craig said:

That article is citing the industry, theme park I'd wager in this case, as thinking it's risky.

Yes, that means then that internet fans also are skeptical for similar reasons. 

Let's not act like Disney never misfires: Lone Ranger, Alice 2, John Carter(which I actually liked but I digress).

hmm I maybe missing something here but all I see is that "experts question the pick of Avatar", seems rather vague.

35 minutes ago, Jay Hollywood said:

Shanghai Disney and Tokyo Dosney both turned down avatar lands. Disneypitched them hard, but they didn't bite and  went other routes. 

This was surprising because China and Japan were two of the biggest OS markets for Avatar. I guess it's not kawaii enough for the Japanese to drive merchandise, but I thought China would at least eat it up. 

7 hours ago, JamesCameronScholar said:

Do you have a source on this, Shanghai seems a really obvious place for Pandora. 

It would take forever to find it, Its been stated lots times on the Jim Hill Podcast Disney Dish as well as on Parkscope Podcast. Theme parks are my 2nd favorite thing after movies. 

Disney does not own The parks in Asia. They own 47%, they don't pick attractions. The reason things get cloned is because each disney resort is run with different management. The resorts will "Split" development costs on new attractions. Which is why the quality and service at all the Disney resorts is different  

Edit: Its a tough sell too, if the sequels are HUGE maybe they bite. But there is no guarantee you can get your billion dollar investment back. That how much Avatar Land cost so they have to be SURE it would drive Merch sales. 

Edited by Jay Hollywood
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, IronJimbo said:

"like nothing you've ever seen" are big words which could come back to bite him in the ass, he must be confident!

Big words are what these professional actors and actresses say all the time. These "big" words are so common in this business.