Totem

Avatar: The Way of Water | 16 DEC 2022 | Don't worry guys, critics like it

7 minutes ago, Andreas said:

Second biggest opening weekend OF ALL TIME in Romania.

6.305.847 RON ($1.36M), probably over 200K admissions.

COMPS:

2.05 x Doctor Strange 2

1.94 x Spider-Man: No Way Home

1.5 x Avengers: Endgame

Just corrected this, it's actually the second biggest opening weekend of all time behind Fast and Furious 8.

2 minutes ago, IronJimbo said:

hmm I think our newpapers and internet articles might have done some damage

I saw someone saying that even Avatar first part performed relatively much better in rest of Europe when compared to UK..maybe Avatar brand is just not that strong in UK when compared to rest of Europe

Just now, upriser7 said:

I saw someone saying that even Avatar first part performed relatively much better in rest of Europe when compared to UK..maybe Avatar brand is just not that strong in UK when compared to rest of Europe

AVATAR made around 150mil in the UK, if i remember right.

3 minutes ago, XXR Tulkun Rider said:

Correct but exchange rates were much better. It made about £93M in local currency. 

Man those current exchange rates are really going to damage this films potential right.

EDIT. I read that wrong, i thought you were saying 150mil in todays exchange rates is $93mil lol.

Edited by stuart360

2 minutes ago, stuart360 said:

Man those current exchange rates are really going to damage this films potential right.

ED.T. I read that wrong, i thought you were saying 150mil in todays exchange rates is $93mil lol.

I mean, the idea is still correct. The difference in ER from 2009 to now is about 33% (so £50M today is $61M USD but in 2009 it would have been $81M). Hell, in November 2007 a £50M take would have been $105M!

• Like 3

1 minute ago, XXR Tulkun Rider said:

I mean, the idea is still correct. The difference in ER from 2009 to now is about 33% (so £50M today is $61M USD but in 2009 it would have been $81M). Hell, in November 2007 a £50M take would have been $105M!

So taking into account that, and the China situation, its prety fair to say if this hits 2bil WW it should be classed as a massive success?

4 minutes ago, stuart360 said:

So taking into account that, and the China situation, its prety fair to say if this hits 2bil WW it should be classed as a massive success?

I would say yes. Exchange rates are about as bad as they have ever been. It was technically a little worse a few months ago but A2 will probably have the worst ER of any major release. Without doing a deep dive into the numbers, I'd estimate that $1200M OS-C today is probably close to $1700 OS-C when Avatar came out. 

As for China, we all know what the populace is dealing with there and while I don't think A2 was ever going to make $800M or anything like that, it would probably make in the $500-600M range if everything was normal vs the $125-150M it's going to make.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, CaptNathanBrittles said:

The testosterone laden Tom Cruise would not do this.

Tom Cruise has done probably worse. 

Great for James Cameron, those people were maybe being ridiculous booing just because they did not get an autograph. 

"Celebrities" are people. 

Edited by StreamBO

41 minutes ago, JustLurking said:

How the hell y'all even manage to get that much time, adding up to the time it takes to get to/from the theater I needed like 5 free hours for this one.

Cinema is 5min with car, bringing kids to bed, holidays, and voila, the rest of the evening is party time or avatar time 😁

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, stuart360 said:

I could still see 80mil Christmas and 70mil New Years weeknd.

Having said that, what i think people forget, myself included, is just how long this film is. The slots at my multiplex were 3hrs 50min pr showing.

It could simply mean that legs could be even longer than some of us already believe.

Still think we are going to need the 4th weekend number to truley no where this film is going.

Agreed and of course this Avatar isnt Facing Alvin or Sherlock Holmes and all the rest.. Very unwise for folks to saying what and what it can do indeed brother Stewart. 

Feeling some strong days and weekends coming . Only XMas Eve is a question.. I think NWH made an Impressive 19-20M on Xmas Eve- A typical Slow day for BO

Imagine if keeps holding in the 90s-80s, 70s, and 60-50s Weekend after Weekend for awhile :)

Then that multiplier we need is in effect.  

6.4-6.9 Multiplier or better---LETS GO!!!

Avatar 2 after a slow climb has surpassed the 950M Domestic Mark with no end in sight. Folks continue to keep watching the James Cameron Masterpiece domestically and around the world.. Chinas Box Office has picked up and Avatar continues to dominate in the 2nd Largest Box Office Market (FIlm at Eleven )

" LETS GET IT DONE!"

--Kal-El of BOM  since 2002

Movie Avatar GIF

Edited by Sheldon Cr
Just updating

1 hour ago, IronJimbo said:

I'm stuck at 3 times because i'm really busy for a few days 😭

Going for my 2nd this or Next week. I feel you Jimbo... GRRRR Also our 4DX and Imaxes are sold out until 11:30pm- Midnight and I dont want to be in the city at that time and get out of theaters at 4am.. lol