Totem

Avatar: The Way of Water | 16 DEC 2022 | Don't worry guys, critics like it

Dash stop trying to be clever obviously box office wise avatar is more popular. I'm talking more about long term popularity avatar is not as loved as avengers or many other films people at at the time people got caught up in the gimmick and the novelty factor help it more then any other movie in recent history.

Dash stop trying to be clever obviously box office wise avatar is more popular. I'm talking more about long term popularity avatar is not as loved as avengers or many other films people at at the time people got caught up in the gimmick and the novelty factor help it more then any other movie in recent history.

Well, that's the POV of those who insist that 3D was the only reason Avatar did so well. Also, calling TA more popular after a year since release and firm release date for the sequel and non-stop barrage of Marvel marketing is a bit unfair.

Long term popularity after only one year? Are you kidding me?

If it was for the gimmick only, AiW would made 2B+ WW as well.

Edited by dashrendar44

I'm saying avengers seems to have been more well received I'm a fan of avatar and the amount of people I argue with saying its shit and the story's awful at the time of release and now is ridiculous. Should not based it on my experience but seems pretty widespread happens when ever avatar is brought up.

Then what is the parameter you are using? More kids dressed up as a SH on Halloween? More cereal boxes with their faces on them?

So let's not talk about 2.8, I repeat 2.8 BILLION DOLLARS, since you think that was due to the novelty factor of 3D. Let's just talk about something else like how it broke records on home media too where there were no 3D TVs yet at that time. Why did they buy it if it weren't in 3D?

This movie got a fucking 10x legs. No way to spin it.

• Like 2

I'm saying avengers seems to have been more well received I'm a fan of avatar and the amount of people I argue with saying its shit and the story's awful at the time of release and now is ridiculous. Should not based it on my experience but seems pretty widespread happens when ever avatar is brought up.

Yeah "it seems" based on your bias but in fact:

760M > 623M .DOM.

2,78B > 1,51B .WW

9,7x multiplier > 3,1 x multiplier (repeat factor)

Thanks dash state the obvious well done. I'm just saying loads of people seem to hate avatar yet it made so much. Amount of people I argue with saying its awful worse film ever then I say how times did you see at the cinema they say 5 times lol!

Thanks dash state the obvious well done. I'm just saying loads of people seem to hate avatar yet it made so much. Amount of people I argue with saying its awful worse film ever then I say how times did you see at the cinema they say 5 times lol!

Ah you mean Internet fat geeks. Their word is not real life as proven ten times already. ;)

Edited by dashrendar44
  • Like 2

Dumb argument. I'm one of the bigger TA fans on this site but to say TA was more well received is just ludicrous. Avatar had nearly 10 multiplier so to say GA disliked it or that it has aged badly is opinion based rather than fact based. It's been nearly 4 years since Avatar and I trust JC to bring his best effort for A2. That man's sequel record is second to none and I expect the same for A2. 

You know what? That's EXACTLY what used to happen on Titanic, but now the backlash on Titanic is getting less and less because Avatar took its place since Avatar claimed the boxoffice crown.

And I bet, IF Avatar 2 takes the crown, it will replace Avatar to be the main backlash target. The same old shit will happen again and again untill Cameron's death. The film world was, is and will always be dominated by males, and some of them can't stand a chick flick beating the shit out of their fav movies to be the boxoffice champion.

Edited by vc2002

So why did it sell so many blue-rays if people only went for 3D? It's has the record for most blue-rays sold lol.Also there were other 3D movies before Avatar which earned a fraction of its gross. Oh and btw, TA also had the novelty of multiple superheroes in 1 movie, lets not ignore that.

Read other posts please 3D is just one argument against its success I was displaying. I am a fan of avatar and think there was a variety of factors that attributed to its success.

every successful movies have various factors that make them huge so I don't see what your point is?TDK=Heath Leders deathTA = first superhero team upStar Wars, Jurassic Park, ID4, Avatar = breakthrough in technologyThere's not many box office phenomenons that didn't have some sort of gimmick. Ironically, Titanic is one of the few that didn't, just relied on good WOM, which also happened to be made by James Cameron.
  • Like 2