Totem

Avatar: The Way of Water | 16 DEC 2022 | Don't worry guys, critics like it

After the majority said no to 1B and how many 2B predicts were there? I remember one which DOM had it at 700M+ Best predict. Others can go say 500M/1.5B, but I will stick with 700M-1B and 3B-3.5B.

Even with inflation and increase in ticket prices I think that is absurdly high. You'll look like a genius if me and others are wrong

Yep, Landeau and Cameron never answered to the budget question but you could feel their embarrasement when asked, I really think it went near 300m.

Remember, Avatar is almost a Pixar film of almost 3hours of very complex  CGI which needed enormous computer power.

So much that Weta Digital got swamped and couldn't finish the movie for Dec 2009.

ILM saved the movie and they did the rendering of the final battle.

Imagine the price of 1 minute of rendering with that complexity and quality.

• Like 1

One hit wonder? Doesn't there have to be other movies, to determine if it was a one hit wonder. As of now its a wonder (Seventh).

Hmm Seem Mr. bear is forgetting alot of Cameron haters predicted  300-500M WW for Avatar LOL. And absolutely no chance at  repeating what he did with titanic..And other bs...Leo was the reason cameron's film went so high rofl..

Seems Mr. bear definitely doesnt look at Camerons perfect track record and with 300-350M to work with or more for each film, he will destroy the competition and I think the domestic barrier yet again.  Always bet  on Cameron and the Music of Horner and the incredible team that break their backs to realize a cameron epic baby!!  It will be another day long having people's mouth hanging agape to the ground. :)

• Like 1

Even with inflation and increase in ticket prices I think that is absurdly high. You'll look like a genius if me and others are wrong

Neo and I already were geniuses predicting Avatar I on the ultimate highend could top Titanic.

So we are in familar territory yet again Giant Cal bears.... There is no escaping  Camerons tenacity of destroying non-believers.

And guess what I know 30 people that plan to watch this sucker 10+ times no matter what. Its that kind of Pandora loyality that could end up making you faint..

^^^ TO Neo my friend  I pray for 7-10x Multi for the Juggernaut 2016.. If we get way over 10x multiplier... I feel bad for the haters lol.

Oh dont forget Titanic 20x Multi!! Lol

Ok but you know Noctis is rude as they come good buddy...What is your ultimate max for Avatar domestically and worldwide

Think we could go for 3.5-4B+ WW?

It's not really fair to talk about someone when they can't be here to talk back, especially if you're just going to laugh at their low-ball (or high-ball) estimates.

And no, I don't think A2 does 3.5b.

• Like 1

It's not really fair to talk about someone when they can't be here to talk back, especially if you're just going to laugh at their low-ball (or high-ball) estimates.

And no, I don't think A2 does 3.5b.

Telemachooooosss!!! NOOO man.. Believe my friend. What are you predicting currently domestically and OS my friend. I hope you will up your predict to me and Neos in the months to come... Man I hope Avatar blows away my predicts....We need to see a film hit 950-1B+ in one  domestic run....And a 3B OS new record made.. If any film can do it, it will be the Juggernauts return. Geesus at seeing it having a domestic multi between Titanic and Avatar I(9-11X+????)

domestic: 500-550m

WW: 2.650-2.850m

Love your prediction KARL, but  I dont see Avatar 2 decreasing by that much, lowest domestic I feell for this one is  650M  vs the Highest on the max end of the spectrum Avtr II makes POTC II or  LOTR WW numbers domestically!! 1.08- 1.1B(with a potential 8-10X multi)

Edited by Superman001

domestic: 500-550m

WW: 2.650-2.850m

Yeah, this sounds reasonable. It's going to be much more front-loaded than the original. Obviously it will open much higher but it's December; it's not going to open to 180-200m. I figure legs will be good compared to regular blockbusters (4-5x) but nothing close to AVATAR or TITANIC (duh).

Edited by Telemachos

Yeah, this sounds reasonable. It's going to be much more front-loaded than the original. Obviously it will open much higher but it's December; it's not going to open to 180-200m. I figure legs will be good compared to regular blockbusters (4-5x) but nothing close to AVATAR or TITANIC (duh).

I think far better than regular blockbuster Tele,..Avatar one or better.

This is the kind of film folks will want to watch again and again.. Matters not if it opens huge.. I also agree a 180-200M OW may not happen as its december, but a 160-170M OW is very likely.. And man oh man with a 6x-9X multi...(Especially if Cameron gives us even more mind blowing pushing the envelope years ahead of everything else visuals, we will see the worlds first huge opening with a multiplier well ahead of anything in the game)

It's the only film that has realistic chance to get 2b and dare I say it even 3b IMO

Maybe 4billion Bball if our wildest expectations happen.. Aka 150-170M OW and 7-10x+ multiplier and then it suprises even me and massacres  Avatar I OS with 3.5B+ OS alone!!!. Imagine that scenario....Holy moly and if Avatar 2 makes 3.5-4+Bil, when will anyone ever dethrone the top 3 Cameron movies lol

I think far better than regular blockbuster Tele,..Avatar one or better.

This is the kind of film folks will want to watch again and again.. Matters not if it opens huge.. I also agree a 180-200M OW may not happen as its december, but a 160-170M OW is very likely.. And man oh man with a 6x-9X multi...(Especially if Cameron gives us even more mind blowing pushing the envelope years ahead of everything else visuals, we will see the worlds first huge opening with a multiplier well ahead of anything in the game)

Why will people want to watch it again and again? We've already been to Pandora, it won't be a new and unique thing. Neither is 3D or performance-capture, no matter how brilliantly done it is.

I don't think it comes anywhere close to a 160-170 OW either... not in mid-December. Maybe 120-130 or so. Figure that and give it a 4-5x multiplier and that's where it lands, domestically.

Why will people want to watch it again and again? We've already been to Pandora, it won't be a new and unique thing. Neither is 3D or performance-capture, no matter how brilliantly done it is.

The story first and foremost. Why fanboys/fangirls go see HP movie and Twilight movie a billion times? Because of story.

Cameron's greatest trick is to turn GA worldwide into Twilight fangirls since Titanic.

I mean when I was casually strolling in a big TV selling shop, I was staring at a HD screen showing Avatar's blu-ray. There was someone watching as well...a grandma that told me how she was awestruck when her and her granddaughter saw it in theaters complimenting how beautiful it is.

Edited by dashrendar44

The story first and foremost. Why fanboys/fangirls go see HP movie and Twilight movie a billion times? Because of story.

Cameron's greatest trick is to turn GA worldwide into Twilight fangirls since Titanic.

Well yes, if he hits it out of the park story- and character-wise, the sky's the limit. I just don't think that's automatic.

Look at STAR WARS and EMPIRE... probably our best comparison right now (domestically, at least). You have the original: a juggernaut of a movie that set new visual standards and shattered box-office records, and was a science-fiction film that got nominated for a bunch of Oscars, including Best Picture. You have a collection of characters that people fell in love with. You have a new and exciting universe that people wanted to see more of.

And then EMPIRE comes out and -- in many ways -- is superior to the first film. Yet despite that, it fell 30%+ in terms of gross. There's only so many mountains out there, not every single one is gonna be Mt. Everest, *especially* if it's a sequel.

• Like 2