Totem

Avatar: The Way of Water | 16 DEC 2022 | Don't worry guys, critics like it

None of this really matters cause it was all about the 3D and that ladies and gentlemen is what sold the movie..

Sure and Avengers 3D helped to make barely past HP7.. Your logic is fleeting BKB lol.

Cameron knows how to make far better world evolving movies than anyone else..  Hmm his last film  destroyed Avengers too and

sold 1.1B domestic in 1 run in ticket  sales equivalent. Without 3D.. Your point?

The music, the grand story and emotion. That ending is everything that most movies , including Avengers simply is not.

And thats why Cameron is the best pound for pound in quality.. You watch his biggest epics and you just dont leave like its just another popcorn film, its becomes something that clings to most moviegoers inner core.

Why does this film get trolled so much?, its like certain people are scared stiff of it.

BKB and Water that would be, they know our film is going to obliterate their  Avengers 2, SWS and everything else. :)

I do think Batman and Superman because they are so much bigger that what marvels  got in terms of history and golden age- current appeal....might be the only film that has a shot at 1.8B or  WW after Cameron.  DC  Would have to really do one hell of a great job marketing and deliver a film as good or better than Avengers 1.

Batman , Superman, WW, GL are far bigger than Avengers...So watch  MOS2 and JLA.. Going to be interesting.

Avengers 2 I think has a range of 1.4-1.7B WW max

Even Cameron, as we know, is arrogant, I dont think he is that arrogant to have considered "2.7BN" or even "outgrossing Titanic" as the goal.

Yes he is VC, but his talent can also defy everyones imagination even more than Steven Speilberg at his best.

So thats why hes the pound for pound mega king of making movies.  (He also writes,edits,does 2nd  unit camera work and even  designs the technology at times  to make his films better)  Like Josh and other directors have said ... He has no equal in pushing the envelope.

..except avatar didn't cling to people's cores. by a year later titanic was more relevant again. if you mention "avatar" to someone under 25 today there's a 50/50 chance they assume you mean avatar the last airbender

not that i'm not excited for a2 or think it can't make more money but the first one wasn't THAT good if you just look at it as any other movie

I agree AVATAR2 will be huge but will it be as big as the first one? I hope so, but I got my doubts. And btw the avengers2 could make 2Billion and take be a bigger sequel than Avatar2 if avatar doesn't got a good WoM. 

Avengers 2  will be lucky to make 540-560M Domestic and even 900M OS... So I dont think you keep track of how these

films perform.  Avatar will do 200-500M in some territorries...  And have over 2.4B OS alone and a domestic tally of 600-900+M ..

Just no.. Not even with stellar WOM will Avengers 2 be a Avatar.. 1.5-1.7B WW and could fall off to 1.3-1.4B WW. This is a comic film. After a  great CBM hits it apex  none have ever managed to  be incredible enough to expand

on a level needed to hit  2billion..So that aint happening .

I think only the debut of JLA or Superman, Batman, WW, Aquaman etc. Coud push at the 1.8-2B mark WW and even that is iffy.

..except avatar didn't cling to people's cores. by a year later titanic was more relevant again. if you mention "avatar" to someone under 25 today there's a 50/50 chance they assume you mean avatar the last airbender

not that i'm not excited for a2 or think it can't make more money but the first one wasn't THAT good if you just look at it as any other movie

Incorrect, they have hundreds of thousands of online communities talking about Avatar. Its mention in almost every show.

From 24 to the simpsons. LOL And  I can see your a hater... But you and BKB's nonsense doesnt explain why disney is gving

Cameron and Fox  proably close to a billion to make  Avatar themed Park in their huge amusment resorts..lol

Or why there is an Avtar TV series planned and  MMOP  Pandora in the gameworld as well.

When all is said and done... James and Fox  are going to make sure we are still talking about Avtar  100 yrs from now.

Wonder  if Avengers will ever be mentioned in the Grand tones of  Avatar, Forrest Gump, SWs, HP, Titanic, T2,  ET, JAWs, Jurassic Park.

The answer never.

Mark these words Avenger brothers and sisters.. At the end of this war.. Your ass is going to be whippey by 1.5-2B+  at the box office..

:P... The domestic war is more interesting though.. Though  I still think Juggernaut will win by at least 100M there.

Wonder  if Avengers will ever be mentioned in the Grand tones of  Avatar, Forrest Gump, SWs, HP, Titanic, T2,  ET, JAWs, Jurassic Park.

The answer never.

first of all what is T2 second avengers and many others are already among those i would say. i didnt even mention avengers though nor do i think it's a "threat" or something, but you brought it up though so clearly you do

first of all what is T2 second avengers and many others are already among those i would say. i didnt even mention avengers though nor do i think it's a "threat" or something, but you brought it up though so clearly you do

Transformers II

The answer never.

First of all my top 10

1) LOTR P1

2) LOTR P3  

3) LOTR P2

4) Starwars P4

5) Inception

6) ET

7) Starwars P5

8) Starwars P6

9)  Ironman 1

10) JP P1

Btw you forgot to mention in your list of legends the LOTR trilogy, by far the most impressive one (I also like the starwars idea but they didn’t had the technology to get the impressive realistic effect. )

And now calm down fan boy, I am not a fan boy of avengers nor of avatar, only of LOTR that true. So I can honestly tell you that you are thinking way to positive about Avatar2.

Avatar2 will do great business I agree with that.

DOM: range of 550M-700M On the hype of the first one(Unless it has another technology whit what I could sell it.)

Will be dragged by the first one, if second one isn’t better it will lose much money in the third instalment. Likely tnx to China, and other growing markets not because of EU because in that country’s it will fall a bit. Positive is that it already got 80.000 votes on RT and 98% want to see 2.6 years before release so that is great. And imdb also indicates a lot of interest in the second instalment.  

Like someone else mentioned avatar got a lot of publicity according to its revolutionary 3D technology and because of that Free advertising in the news(papers) it created that hype . If it doesn’t get that kind of boost it will wind up around 1.8-2.2B but if the second one isn’t better than the first one (First one hadn’t a great story, effects were amazing, loved them but the story was kind a normal, nothing special, it didn’t touch me. And allot of the critics are saying the same. So Cameron will have to do better this time. If not third one could fall to 1.5B WW and that would suck.

In a lot of reports the critic and moviegoers are saying they love the effect but the story was not amazing. So that could become a problem. Btw I can honestly tell you I made the same mistake with the hobbit I tough It would be the best movie ever but it’s not by far, JP disappointed me very much. TH1 couldn’t even match the 3 LOTR with price inflation so. This could have the same kind of effect.

On the other side The Avengers:

DOM range 500M-800M (with good WoM it could do 800M but almost Impossible I think)

I think we can expect a small increase here because the reaction were positive, and with the Marvel brand is growing)

Btw it got the lucky effect that CA2 was the last one they released before the avengers2 cause that will trigger a positive mood. They will likely remember the good performance of the last movie so that is positive. Then you got the hype that is going on: for example it’s one of the few movie that got a better rating from US voters than of non US voters on IMDB. So that could also count.  Then you got RT on with the ‘one see meter’ is at 100% with 105.000 voters 1 year before the release.  And at imdb it’s already 15 weeks in the top 100 movie and now 2 weeks in at place 14 of most visited page and it’s still one year before release. So that why I think it will do 675M or a bit more.

OS range: 1.1B-1.6B

Come on man be honest with yourself. IM3 made 800M and crossed the avengers on many markets so that means Avengers2 will easy beat them at those markets, with positive reaction on the movie like I mentioned before it won’t do less than 1.1B that is locked.

Why?

China will do a 180M think 225M is possible so that would already make 950M with no other increases. Than you got the Asian and S-American market who will grow at least another 150M because of IM3 passed some of avengers market in Asia, so that makes 1.1B OS.

Than we got Europe were it will grow at least 40M on its first instalment so that good news to. The first avengers made some publicity in Europe and the second one can now rises a lot. And in Africa and Oceania it will likely grow another modest 20M.

And for Europe, Africa and Oceania it’s the bottom of increase I can tell you that now. So the we could at least say the second avengers got a clear shot on 2B WW gross. And don’t tell me it isn’t like that because we all know it does.  You can say it’s a bad movie or that it’s stupid of humankind to go to such movies but whatever you say it will increase over the first one, it’s just locked.

Everyone who predict movie will say avengers is the easiest one to say ‘it will out gross the last one.

My prediction: Avatar2 got the most chances to win the battle but could get in trouble if it’s not a good movie.

Avengers2: 1.95B WW

And plz don't complain I am a avatar hater, because I am not! Don't say I am an avenger fan boy because that would be a lie. 

It's just how I am seeing the situation richt at this moment with the available information I got at this point. 

• Like 1

Avengers 2 will not outgross the original, certainly not by almost half a billion - ridiculous.

There's no way Avatar 2 will not be a good movie.

Having said that, the Avatar sequel might drop-off more than the Avengers sequel (which might stay flat), simply because the former was a much bigger phenomenon, especially worldwide, and it's difficult to replicate that.

First of all my top 10

1) LOTR P1

2) LOTR P3  

3) LOTR P2

4) Starwars P4

5) Inception

6) ET

7) Starwars P5

8) Starwars P6

9)  Ironman 1

10) JP P1

Btw you forgot to mention in your list of legends the LOTR trilogy, by far the most impressive one (I also like the starwars idea but they didn’t had the technology to get the impressive realistic effect. )

And now calm down fan boy, I am not a fan boy of avengers nor of avatar, only of LOTR that true. So I can honestly tell you that you are thinking way to positive about Avatar2.

Avatar2 will do great business I agree with that.

DOM: range of 550M-700M On the hype of the first one(Unless it has another technology whit what I could sell it.)

Will be dragged by the first one, if second one isn’t better it will lose much money in the third instalment. Likely tnx to China, and other growing markets not because of EU because in that country’s it will fall a bit. Positive is that it already got 80.000 votes on RT and 98% want to see 2.6 years before release so that is great. And imdb also indicates a lot of interest in the second instalment.  

Like someone else mentioned avatar got a lot of publicity according to its revolutionary 3D technology and because of that Free advertising in the news(papers) it created that hype . If it doesn’t get that kind of boost it will wind up around 1.8-2.2B but if the second one isn’t better than the first one (First one hadn’t a great story, effects were amazing, loved them but the story was kind a normal, nothing special, it didn’t touch me. And allot of the critics are saying the same. So Cameron will have to do better this time. If not third one could fall to 1.5B WW and that would suck.

In a lot of reports the critic and moviegoers are saying they love the effect but the story was not amazing. So that could become a problem. Btw I can honestly tell you I made the same mistake with the hobbit I tough It would be the best movie ever but it’s not by far, JP disappointed me very much. TH1 couldn’t even match the 3 LOTR with price inflation so. This could have the same kind of effect.

On the other side The Avengers:

DOM range 500M-800M (with good WoM it could do 800M but almost Impossible I think)

I think we can expect a small increase here because the reaction were positive, and with the Marvel brand is growing)

Btw it got the lucky effect that CA2 was the last one they released before the avengers2 cause that will trigger a positive mood. They will likely remember the good performance of the last movie so that is positive. Then you got the hype that is going on: for example it’s one of the few movie that got a better rating from US voters than of non US voters on IMDB. So that could also count.  Then you got RT on with the ‘one see meter’ is at 100% with 105.000 voters 1 year before the release.  And at imdb it’s already 15 weeks in the top 100 movie and now 2 weeks in at place 14 of most visited page and it’s still one year before release. So that why I think it will do 675M or a bit more.

OS range: 1.1B-1.6B

Come on man be honest with yourself. IM3 made 800M and crossed the avengers on many markets so that means Avengers2 will easy beat them at those markets, with positive reaction on the movie like I mentioned before it won’t do less than 1.1B that is locked.

Why?

China will do a 180M think 225M is possible so that would already make 950M with no other increases. Than you got the Asian and S-American market who will grow at least another 150M because of IM3 passed some of avengers market in Asia, so that makes 1.1B OS.

Than we got Europe were it will grow at least 40M on its first instalment so that good news to. The first avengers made some publicity in Europe and the second one can now rises a lot. And in Africa and Oceania it will likely grow another modest 20M.

And for Europe, Africa and Oceania it’s the bottom of increase I can tell you that now. So the we could at least say the second avengers got a clear shot on 2B WW gross. And don’t tell me it isn’t like that because we all know it does.  You can say it’s a bad movie or that it’s stupid of humankind to go to such movies but whatever you say it will increase over the first one, it’s just locked.

Everyone who predict movie will say avengers is the easiest one to say ‘it will out gross the last one.

My prediction: Avatar2 got the most chances to win the battle but could get in trouble if it’s not a good movie.

Avengers2: 1.95B WW

And plz don't complain I am a avatar hater, because I am not! Don't say I am an avenger fan boy because that would be a lie. 

It's just how I am seeing the situation richt at this moment with the available information I got at this point. 

IM3 was pretty much seen as an Avenger movie, and you willl MOS a smaller comeback film outsold IM 2 in an embarrassing way.

2. Rem none of these marvel films are easily hitting 900M OS.. Avengers 2 likely wont break the trend.

How can a film that doesnt have the appeal of even HP OS compete with Avatar pepsa.. Logic my friend.

James cameron is the alpha omega, all fans go to see his major epics.

There is nothing to suggest that Avengers1 isnt near the max for the team up gimic by the way, while James Cameron has no limits.

Avengers wont pas 1.7B WW.

James Camerons Avatar 2 wont get less than 2.3-2.8B+ OS .... One territory alone can get avatar 2 up to 450-500M ...

How are you going to compete with that.

I mean major BO guys predict 3B-3.8Billion baby... So there you go..

BKB knows he should just join the Cameron train..  He willl be in 1st place again domestically and worldwide.

And even if it misses the first, its  beating Titanic.

I  willl say it again Avengers does not appeal to enough crowds to get to a 1b OS.. but Batman and Superman or JLA , because they are far bigger characters and can get Golden age folks to attend may be able to pull it off.

Turn off those Marvel blinders guys... No comic film is touching James Cameron and like wise with TW as well :).

If he makes a bad movie, then the war gets more interesting :). Of course James Cameron is the best in history at making sequels. So thats an unlikely scenario. :)

Avengers 2 will not outgross the original, certainly not by almost half a billion - ridiculous.

There's no way Avatar 2 will not be a good movie.

Having said that, the Avatar sequel might drop-off more than the Avengers sequel (which might stay flat), simply because the former was a much bigger phenomenon, especially worldwide, and it's difficult to replicate that.

Yes and Avatar didnt beat Titanic by  nearly a billion either.( thats to the clowns a few pages back that said James Cameron is tired and Avatar is old news lol) Amen Elessar.

Avatar is also the biggest HV BO Seller since the 90s.  I wonder if these marvel or anti-cameron moviegoers realize Avatar sold on HV without the 3D Gimic over 50+Mil units... lol

Like I said logic all putting limits and r lowballing James Cameron. Your going to get owned again.

Elessar, they are not learning. >There are films like JP, LOTR, and Avengers and there is a James Cameron

event film.. Not on the same playing field. (Though JP is pretty damn big though)

I rem alot of jokers saying the same thing about JAmes cameron couldnt pull of a titanic again LOL.. You dont learn your lesson well.

I will see what you say when James cameron is in 1st place again. :). When you have markets expanding 100-200+ percent and Avatar 2 is the most anticipated sequel(Or is just being part of a James Cameron event movie--not sure which one ranks higher lol)

(To the dude  giving AVTR 2 1.4B WW -LOL)

You got to be kidding..lol  Do you know how much bigger China and Japan markets are alone which Avatar has the all time record.LOL

Edited by Superman001

^^ I agree with Elessar and Kayom that the sequel could fall off, but unless its an economic or natural disaster... I cant see Avatar 2 falling to less than 2.5-2.8Billion range.

Thats insane.. How the hell can a film be a  near lock for over 2.4B..(That is the James Cameron Phenom)

None of this really matters cause it was all about the 3D and that ladies and gentlemen is what sold the movie..

Cant really say that when Avatar even without 3D out sold avengers and still would reach 2billion.

Not to mention Avengers on HV 18-20M units.. Avatar 2 will proably hit 60M units ww soon..

See the difference.. And you can best believe those BRs and dvds are 88% 2D!

Elessar, they are not learning. >There are films like JP, LOTR, and Avengers and there is a James Cameron

event film.. Not on the same playing field. (Though JP is pretty damn big though)

If you ask people what is there favorite film almost none says Avatar, you got a lot more chance to hear LOTR or Starwars Titanic.

And ps. You can see the high rating on IMDB of avatar.

If you ask people what is there favorite film almost none says Avatar, you got a lot more chance to hear LOTR or Starwars Titanic.

And ps. You can see the high rating on IMDB of avatar.

Actually folks here and all over the web and on FB post their top 10. Avatar is usually in their top 5  :).

I suggest you look at the top 100 lists in this forum alone.

Mainstream considers Avatar a one of a kind experience(Thanks to the visuals, music, involving story , naturalistic themes and incredible characters)

LOTR is also one of my favorites in my all time top 5:D.. So good taste.

Just for saying the LOTR beats avatars ass in all ratings....

RT beaten (by the audience and the critics)

Imdb beaten (and more votes for ROTK)

Metacritic beaten (by the audience and the critics)

So no it’s not that good, the movie was OK but not amazing.