Totem

Avatar: The Way of Water | 16 DEC 2022 | Don't worry guys, critics like it

I think it will end up a little below the first one (domestic), just like Spiderman 2 ended up below Spiderman 1. Like Avatar Spiderman 1 was also novel with breathtaking visuals (at least for it's time). It's tougher to impress the 2nd time around even if it's a good film.

Edited by a2k

I think it will end up a little below the first one (domestic), just like Spiderman 2 ended up below Spiderman 1. Like Avatar Spiderman 1 was also novel with breathtaking visuals (at least for it's time). It's tougher to impress the 2nd time around even if it's a good film.

If by impress you mean visuals this is Cameron when has not impressed (visuals). Whats he doing this in? Isn't it 48 fps? Will be better than The Hobbit and imagine he gives us better 3D and better mocap.

If by impress you mean visuals this is Cameron when has not impressed (visuals). Whats he doing this in? Isn't it 48 fps? Will be better than The Hobbit and imagine he gives us better 3D and better mocap.

Astonishing visuals will not make this do more than then first one. It is practically impossible for it to increase domestic and I don't see why it would defy the expectations.

Astonishing visuals will not make this do more than then first one. It is practically impossible for it to increase domestic and I don't see why it would defy the expectations.

Did I say it would? No.

Bet?

Don't see why, don't make me laugh. This is Cameron, not Nolan, Spielberg or any other director its Cameron he knows how to make great box office successes and sequels that break records. So saying this is impossible to increase is the most misinformed statement ever made in the history of these forums.

I'm just trying to imagine the kind of run this movie will have. One of the biggest wildcards I've experienced. Who knows what the Box Office will be like in 2017? A sequel to the biggest film of all time that was ultimately forgotten.

Sorry, off on a tangent there...

^ This

Well Avatar 2 is good as any movie to do it. lol lol lol And you should be called 95% jr (as in 95% of the board who are predicting drastic falls).

because 95% of us have common sense. Im not even predicting a drastic fall, I think it can still hit around 600m in the US and around 2.2b WW. Either way, Cameron will probably have the top 3 movies of all time when all said and done.

Edited by jessie

I'm just trying to imagine the kind of run this movie will have. One of the biggest wildcards I've experienced. Who knows what the Box Office will be like in 2017? A sequel to the biggest film of all time that was ultimately forgotten.

Sorry, off on a tangent there...

It all depends on whether it is/will be forgotten.

because 95% of us have common sense. Im not even predicting a drastic fall, I think it can still hit around 600m in the US and around 2.2b WW. Either way, Cameron will probably have the top 3 movies of all time when all said and done.

A 20% fall is not drastic? A sub 10 fall wouldn't be drastic not 20%.

Bet?

Edited by Neo

you know our statement is true when you can only list 2 movies that you under predicted (one being a film everyone under predicted lol)

For someone who thinks they know a lot you sure are full of it. Your failure on a daily basis is massive its like putting up bricks you must have your own housing development by now or 2.

For someone who thinks they know a lot you sure are full of it. Your failure on a daily basis is massive its like putting up bricks you must have your own housing development by now or 2.

I don't claim to be some box office prophet Neo, never have, never will. And I've not done too bad this year, had some good calls and some bad calls just like a lot of posters on this site.

A 20% fall is not drastic? A sub 10 fall wouldn't be drastic not 20%.

Bet?

What would be the point in betting 3 years out? At this point it's a wild guess and predicting an increase without knowing anything about the film is just letting your personal feelings cloud your judgement. My prediction will change when I see a trailer but if it makes you happy then fine. I'll bet it doesn't increase in the US and ill bet it doesn't top Skyfall in the UK.

• Like 1

Did I say it would? No.

Bet?

Don't see why, don't make me laugh. This is Cameron, not Nolan, Spielberg or any other director its Cameron he knows how to make great box office successes and sequels that break records. So saying this is impossible to increase is the most misinformed statement ever made in the history of these forums.

Cameron is not infallible at the box office. The Abyss was a BO disappointment (even though it was a great movie). He may well top himself for the third time in a row, but he's due for another disappointment at the box office eventually and with three back to back sequels it's likely that at least one of them underperforms. Titanic and Avatar were both perfect storms. A2 will be much more reliant on outside factors than those films, including whether it has more competition (likely) and if audiences can shake off their 3D indifference to give it an 80% 3D share like the first film (unlikely).

Edited by Darth Homer

I don't claim to be some box office prophet Neo, never have, never will. And I've not done too bad this year, had some good calls and some bad calls just like a lot of posters on this site.

What would be the point in betting 3 years out? At this point it's a wild guess and predicting an increase without knowing anything about the film is just letting your personal feelings cloud your judgement. My prediction will change when I see a trailer but if it makes you happy then fine. I'll bet it doesn't increase in the US and ill bet it doesn't top Skyfall in the UK.

So don't be going around accusing others of bad predicts. So your predict (guess) is full of fail. You can say that about a movie Ghost in the Shell, but movies like AOU, BVS and Avatar you should have predicts on.

From around 600M to 749M make up your mind.

Edited by Neo

Cameron is not infallible at the box office. The Abyss was a BO disappointment (even though it was a great movie). He may well top himself for the third time in a row, but he's due for another disappointment at the box office eventually and with three back to back sequels it's likely that at least one of them underperforms. Titanic and Avatar were both perfect storms. A2 will be much more reliant on outside factors than those films, including whether it has more competition (likely) and if audiences can shake off their 3D indifference to give it an 80% 3D share like the first film (unlikely).

Did I say he was in infallible, some people need to read better. lol BTW I said sequels again lol. Man your attempts with Jessie are laughable. Why is he due? Is it his record 2 hits 1 bomb or a 3 hits, 1 mediocore and 2 bombs? What is prophet? Perfect storms well you don't know if Avatar 2 won't be a perfect storm.

The fail on yours and Jessie's part is you talk in absolutes like it already happened while I take in the possibility.

You, Jessie and others are all the same you think you are infallible. 

I don't think that's what they're saying, Neo. They're just saying that, given general box-office trends and sequel performances (and taking into account AVATAR's huge over performance), even considering Cameron's track record, it's more likely that the AVATAR sequels gross less than the original. It's certainly possible that they manage to overcome the odds, but until we know more, the odds are somewhat against them (and Cameron) overall.

• Like 1

I don't think that's what they're saying, Neo. They're just saying that, given general box-office trends and sequel performances (and taking into account AVATAR's huge over performance), even considering Cameron's track record, it's more likely that the AVATAR sequels gross less than the original. It's certainly possible that they manage to overcome the odds, but until we know more, the odds are somewhat against them (and Cameron) overall.

Odds are just as good for it to increase. Given Cameron sequel increases and known for his movies to breakout when considered to flop or do miserably at the box office. Its more likely for Avatar (2) to increase over the original. Until we know more the odds of increasing are in its favor.

See what I did there?