Totem

Avatar: The Way of Water | 16 DEC 2022 | Don't worry guys, critics like it

5 minutes ago, Darth Water Bottle said:

They don't just look at historical data and make predictions that way.

DARPA might want to contact Rentrak then and ask if they can take a look at their time machine, since they're obviously pulling data from the future somehow!

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Darth Dexter of Hoth said:

Nah he most likely watching Avatar  and laughing the terrible characters, acting and dialog. 

Ok Darth Dexter of Hoth, you're an expert on the matter so I'll take your word for it.

1 minute ago, Jayhawk the Hutt said:

Wait did I just read that someone thinks that Avatar sells more merchandise than SW? Haha, unbelievable.

I'm not sure, that's what quoting is for.

• Community Manager
Just now, JamesCameronScholar said:

1. I should have perhaps used a semi-colon instead of a hyphen then, as I intended the R-rated fact as added trivia not adding to the initial point, although there is no common usage for the hyphen. Apologies for any confusion caused.

2. Unfounded opinion again - T2 was rated R and the highest grossing film of '91, and is widely regarded as both "good" and "fun".

T2 might have been good and fun but that doesn't mean an R-rated Spider-man would be good and fun. That's a leap that doesn't take into consideration the differences between the two properties. And I never said Spider-man wouldn't have done well and it wouldn't have been a hit but to suggest an R-rating wouldn't affect it's box office run is ludicrous.

Just now, Jayhawk the Hutt said:

Wait did I just read that Avatar sells more merchandise than SW? Haha, unbelievable.

jayhawk buddy it is treu. Avatar on a yearly base sales bout 15.5B in merchandise sales a year It is inpossile to find AVATAR Judgernut toys anywhere since kidos keeping buying them. Jedis only sales about 900m a year. Disney has been loosing money on toys since bought star wars. The actual budget for stars is close to 2B with marketing and production and actor pay. SW7 is going to need to make 4.5B even to break even. I doubt there even been an episode 8 now. LOL

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Darth Dexter of Hoth said:

jayhawk buddy it is treu. Avatar on a yearly base sales bout 15.5B in merchandise sales a year It is inpossile to find AVATAR Judgernut toys anywhere since kidos keeping buying them. Jedis only sales about 900m a year. Disney has been loosing money on toys since bought star wars. The actual budget for stars is close to 2B with marketing and production and actor pay. SW7 is going to need to make 4.5B even to break even. I doubt there even been an episode 8 now. LOL

Imitation is the sincerest form of flattering, god bless Kal.

3 minutes ago, Darth Water Bottle said:

T2 might have been good and fun but that doesn't mean an R-rated Spider-man would be good and fun. That's a leap that doesn't take into consideration the differences between the two properties. And I never said Spider-man wouldn't have done well and it wouldn't have been a hit but to suggest an R-rating wouldn't affect it's box office run is ludicrous.

You're applying non-Cameron logic to a Cameron production - that itself is illogical friendo.

• Like 1

• Community Manager
2 minutes ago, JamesCameronScholar said:

DARPA might want to contact Rentrak then and ask if they can take a look at their time machine, since they're obviously pulling data from the future somehow!

So you ignore the rest of my post that gives that comment context? As I said, they have access to other data including tracking information that lets them make those kind of predictions. I understand that this fact doesn't fit with whatever point you are trying to make but I seriously suggest you actually take the time to learn about the industry before trying to form opinions.

1 minute ago, JamesCameronScholar said:

You're applying non-Cameron logic to a Cameron production - that itself is illogical friendo.

logic always wins. Spiderman is meant for families. People would have hated an R spider man. I am sorry James Cameron is not perfect. 

1 minute ago, Darth Water Bottle said:

So you ignore the rest of my post that gives that comment context? As I said, they have access to other data including tracking information that lets them make those kind of predictions. I understand that this fact doesn't fit with whatever point you are trying to make but I seriously suggest you actually take the time to learn about the industry before trying to form opinions.

1. I suggest you learn to read what I wrote - you are suggesting that there exists a form of data this is not historical - if this is the case someone somewhere has invented a time machine by definition.

2. I've been learning this industry for 30 years and will never stop, thanks for the suggestion though.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Darth Water Bottle said:

Hey, remember Sanctum?

Jim was an executive producer, helped with some of the technology and marketing, it wasn't a Cameron production. I seriously suggest you actually take the time to learn about the man before trying to form opinions.

• Like 2

• Community Manager
2 minutes ago, JamesCameronScholar said:

1. I suggest you learn to read what I wrote - you are suggesting that there exists a form of data this is not historical - if this is the case someone somewhere has invented a time machine by definition.

2. I've been learning this industry for 30 years and will never stop, thanks for the suggestion though.

When I say historical data, I obviously meant looking at data on how movies have performed in the past because  that's the common definition for "historical data" pretty much everywhere. You apparently have decided to define any set of data as soon as it comes into existence as historical data. So congrats, you have proven absolutely nothing because my actual point stands. When you are trying to find loopholes into how a person said something rather than actually dealing with what that person actually said, you either lost the point you are trying to make or you are trolling. Trolling is against site rules. ;)

• Community Manager
4 minutes ago, JamesCameronScholar said:

Jim was an executive producer, helped with some of the technology and marketing, it wasn't a Cameron production. I seriously suggest you actually take the time to learn about the man before trying to form opinions.

:lol::lol::lol:

Sorry, nice try. He was executive producer meaning it was by definition a Cameron production. He might not have directed it or written it but come on, he put his name on it in the marketing and was involved.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Darth Water Bottle said:

:lol::lol::lol:

Sorry, nice try. He was executive producer meaning it was by definition a Cameron production. He might not have directed it or written it but come on, he put his name on it in the marketing and was involved.

The hypocrisy of you claiming that arguing over the linguistic use of a term is 'trolling' and then manipulating another a single post later is staggering. Doublethink and Star Wars avatars seem to go hand in hand here.

• Like 1