Avatar: The Way of Water | 16 DEC 2022 | Don't worry guys, critics like it

4 minutes ago, CJ Ren said:

BWAHAHAHAHAHAHA WTF :rofl: 

GUYS, SANCTUM ISN'T A JAMES CAMERON PRODUCTION :rofl: 

It was produced by Andrew Wight...

Edit: Star Wars has gotten old already?  
Edited by IronJimbo

Just now, vc2002 said:

I'm not used to the growing speed of this thread right now. 6 more pages in one night is just too much. Let's get it back to 1 page a week like it used to be ok?:chaplin:

I suspect it will only get faster as news of the sequel's production slowly trickle out.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, JamesCameronScholar said:

I vividly remember seeing ANH in the theatre and I'm still going strong!

Sorry disrespectful of me !

Just now, vc2002 said:

I'm not used to the growing speed of this thread right now. 6 more pages in one night is just too much. Let's get it back to 1 page a week like it used to be ok?:chaplin:

Should be to 60 pages in December 2017

2 minutes ago, Obi-Wan Telemachos said:

Threads that grow fast because of news are good. Threads that grow fast because of, er... nothing get tiring. :lol: 

Tiring? I seem to recall this thread being the only thing keeping some users up when they want to sleep.

some even made late for work

Edited by IronJimbo
more

Avatar 2 is very hard to predict BO wise. I believe there are 3 levels of blockbuster out there, and depending on which one Avatar hit determines it's sequels box office potential.

Level 1: Outlier Blockbuster

These are films that made a lot of money but didn't have a blockbuster sequel or film series arround it. Titanic, The Lion King, E.T and Gone With The Wind come to mind.

Level 2: Franchise Blockbuster

These are films that are a part of a bigger franchise and therefore have an ingrained fanbase that they expand upon. Most blockbusters fall into this category. Some notables are Transformers, Marvel Cinematic Universe, James Bond, Harry Potter.

Level 3: Societal Franchise

This is the last level of a blockbuster. What sets this apart from franchise blockbuster is it's cultural significance impacts more than it's target demographic. As of right now I would only put Star Wars on this level, though series like Harry Potter and the MCU may one day enter this space.

The question for the Avatar sequels is where do they fall. If Avatar resonated deeply with the world at large beyond the cinematic experience of the original, then we very could see $3 billion+ for Avatar 2. If Avatar didn't hit a cultural note, then the sequels will do well but won't challenge for any records. If Avatar was a fluke, the sequels will bomb (won't happen). We won't really have any of these questions answered until the release date nears (then we'll start seeing telling signs one way or the other). For the record, I don't think Avatar 2 will beat the originals totals. If it did though, I wouldn't be surprised and would be the first to congratulate it :)

Just now, Obi-Wan Telemachos said:

Threads that grow fast because of news are good. Threads that grow fast because of, er... nothing get tiring. :lol: 

Plenty of news about Avatar has come out recently, and far more will start coming in the next few months. In fact, let's discuss the plethora of Avatar related news shall we?

i) Toruk recently had its première, what did fellow fans think of it?

ii) The sequels officially go into production today - is everyone excited?

iii) What do you think Zoe talked to Jim about during her visit to his office?

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, JamesCameronScholar said:

Plenty of news about Avatar has come out recently, and far more will start coming in the next few months. In fact, let's discuss the plethora of Avatar related news shall we?

i) No idea what that is :lol: 

ii) they don't go into production today; maybe sometime next week at the earliest. Yes, it's great news that they're about to finally begin.

3 minutes ago, VenomXXR said:

Avatar 2 is very hard to predict BO wise. I believe there are 3 levels of blockbuster

You forgot level 4, James Cameron Blockbuster.

3 minutes ago, JamesCameronScholar said:

iii)No words were needed ;)

• Community Manager
36 minutes ago, JamesCameronScholar said:

The hypocrisy of you claiming that arguing over the linguistic use of a term is 'trolling' and then manipulating another a single post later is staggering. Doublethink and Star Wars avatars seem to go hand in hand here.

You just aren't happy Sanctum is a James Cameron production because it means accepting that this man you are idolizing...is just a man.

1 minute ago, Obi-Wan Telemachos said:

ii) they don't go into production today; maybe sometime next week at the earliest. Yes, it's great news that they're about to finally begin.

i) an Avatar cirque du soleil, If I was rich I would go see it.

1 minute ago, Obi-Wan Telemachos said:

i) How unsurprising that one of the SW avatars doesn't know about Toruk in an Avatar related thread...

ii) Your source on that information lied to you friendo.

• Like 1

Just now, JamesCameronScholar said:

i) How unsurprising that one of the SW avatars doesn't know about Toruk in an Avatar related thread...

ii) Your source on that information lied to you friendo.

i) My normal avatar is Lawrence of Arabia, friendo. :lol:

ii) it's New Year's Eve, no one in town is working. They ain't gonna be working New Year's Day either.

1 minute ago, Darth Water Bottle said:

You just aren't happy Sanctum is a James Cameron production because it means accepting that this man you are idolizing...is just a man.

Again, the SW avatars love putting words into my mouth, that's libel. I know Jim is a person as much as anyone, and would never 'idolize' him, that is ridiculous.

• Like 1

Maybe my memory is a little foggy, but I seem to remember a guy that used to post here a long time ago that claimed to have written a book on James Cameron.  I don't remember if he was banned or not, but I certainly haven't seen him in here recently. 

I'm not saying that is JamesCameronScholar, but it wouldn't surprise me at all.