Totem

Avatar: The Way of Water | 16 DEC 2022 | Don't worry guys, critics like it

23 minutes ago, BKB IS CAPTAIN AMERICA said:

What's there to talk about??? There's been no news on it,  it won't come out til the end of next year, basically making this thread almost useless until then and it's true.. Not to mention, I'd be willing to bet it ends up getting postponed til 2018 instead of the end of 2017... So basically for the next 2 years, you can read all of Kal and his 2 Cameron buddies posts while waiting..

You don't have to read them, this is an Avatar thread afterall. Also I really don't care about DOM, as it's just one country to me. Look at Spain, Italy, South Korea and it's getting demolished. It won't beat Avatar in the most important stat, WW gross.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, IronJimbo said:

You don't have to read them, this is an Avatar thread afterall. Also I really don't care about DOM, as it's just one country to me. Look at Spain, Italy, South Korea and it's getting demolished. It won't beat Avatar in the most important stat, WW gross.

To them Domestic is the World... that is until the Chinese box office becomes the biggest market for films, then I wonder what they'll call it.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, JamesCameronScholar said:

To them Domestic is the World... that is until the Chinese box office becomes the biggest market for films, then I wonder what they'll call it.

Avatar 4's DOM will outgross TFA's North America gross.

1 hour ago, JamesCameronScholar said:

Studios do earn the highest profit from the domestic release compared to overseas markets. Each country is different on how much a studio will make. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, JamesCameronScholar said:

Dex is right. If a movie grosses "x" dollars in China, the studio gets only like half of what they would get if the movie made the same amount in America.

For China to really be considered as important as DOM, then it would have to make double there than it does here.

5 minutes ago, DAJK said:

Dex is right. If a movie grosses "x" dollars in China, the studio gets only like half of what they would get if the movie made the same amount in America.

For China to really be considered as important as DOM, then it would have to make double there than it does here.

2020 should do it.

21 minutes ago, DAJK said:

Dex is right. If a movie grosses "x" dollars in China, the studio gets only like half ofit what they would get if the movie made the same amount in America.

Actual my friend os is much more important.  All the big studios do massive advertising os as olbviously profit margins dwarfs the domestic in overall profit.  China will give fox 300 to 400 m fox the rest for China for exlample out of the 600-750m it makes there alone 

Edited by Kalel009Shel

2 minutes ago, Kalel009Shel said:

Actual my friend os is much more important.  All the big retooled do massive advertising os obviously dwarfs the domestic in overall profit.  China will give fox 300 to 400 m for fox the rest for China for example out of the 600-750m it makes there alone 

Well, no, this is not true, Kal. Studios get a flat 25% from China. If it makes 600m there, Fox gets 150. 750m, Fox would get 187 or so.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Darth Rallax said:

I LIKE AVATAR!  I also LOVE CAMERON!  

But damn, get over it!

Get over what? Avatar will remain (probably) most successful movie of all time. Tfa will be the crownprince, grats to that achievement, since i liked that movie alot. But avatar will be still king of the world, no matter what. In case you forget "domestic ≠ world".

So damn it, get over it.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, dignam said:

Get over what? Avatar will remain (probably) most successful movie of all time. Tfa will be the crownprince, grats to that achievement, since i liked that movie alot. But avatar will be still king of the world, no matter what. In case you forget "domestic ≠ world".

So damn it, get over it.

MtAlxL8.jpg

7 minutes ago, dignam said:

So damn it, get over it.

I'm sorry, was I even talking to you?   I am not taking anything away from Avatar, I merely said that Star Wars was whooping it's ass domestically and there are a couple of people who are butthurt over it.  Of course Star Wars isn't going to beat it worldwide and I never said it would.

Some are under the impression that those who like Star Wars and are excited about it's current domination are only made up of people that hate Avatar and want it to go down.  I was just saying that I really enjoyed Avatar and would consider myself a huge Cameron fan.  I saw Avatar 5-6 times and 4 times in IMAX because I enjoyed it so much.  I also greatly enjoyed watching it climb all the way to the top and smash everything along the way.  

That doesn't mean I can't also enjoy Star Wars and concurrently enjoy its equally impressive box office domination.  Nobody has seen anything like it and who knows if/when we will see anything like it again?

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, Darth Rallax said:

I'm sorry, was I even talking to you?   I am not taking anything away from Avatar, I merely said that Star Wars was whooping it's ass domestically and there are a couple of people who are butthurt over it.  Of course Star Wars isn't going to beat it worldwide and I never said it would.

Some are under the impression that those who like Star Wars and are excited about it's current domination are only made up of people that hate Avatar and want it to go down.  I was just saying that I really enjoyed Avatar and would consider myself a huge Cameron fan.  I saw Avatar 5-6 times and 4 times in IMAX because I enjoyed it so much.  I also greatly enjoyed watching it climb all the way to the top and smash everything along the way.  

That doesn't mean I can't also enjoy Star Wars and concurrently enjoy its equally impressive box office domination.  Nobody has seen anything like it and who knows if/when we will see anything like it again?

I suppose you're talking about me when you say butthurt about the DOM. Honestly it's just another country/region to me, the WW gross is the most important.

It's cool to hate Avatar on the internet and cool to love Star Wars. Most people will hate on Avatar purely because they've being conditioned to do so, depsite thoroughly enjoying the greatest cinematic experience of the century. You're an outlier in my eyes.

I will say this site has a lot less Avatar hate than others though!

Edited by IronJimbo
extra line
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, Darth Rallax said:

Some are under the impression that those who like Star Wars and are excited about it's current domination are only made up of people that hate Avatar and want it to go down.

Not at all. Only a few.

Also, i'm not losing sleep over it. ;)

17 minutes ago, Darth Rallax said:

Dont get me wrong this was not against you. I'm happy for tfa, i liked that movie alot and its a behemoth domestic wise. But what pisses me off are the avatar haters who rooted six years for every movie that could beat avatar. And now after 6 years we have worth contender who will beat avatar (dom) and the haters went nuts, suddenly the only gross what counts is domestic. And all the milestones avatar achieved are mehhh.

Month ago i predicted that tfa will beat avatar dom but ww avatar will remain king.

Edited by dignam
  • Like 1