Totem

Avatar: The Way of Water | 16 DEC 2022 | Don't worry guys, critics like it

2 hours ago, Taruseth said:

Visually Avatar is an absolut Masterpiece,

emotionally though, it really isn't that good.

Disagree, you must not have managed to immerse yourself because for me it was emotional.

7 hours ago, ThePhasmid said:

I recently checked out Avatar in the second dimension. Damn, this series needs more fresh material than unobtainium can afford.

Na, Jimmy Boy will expand his Avatar sequels upon the OLD MATERIAL in the first one. The new cast is basically the old one (still featuring Sam Worthington as our protagonist !). Even the main villain is the same throughout the five movies.

So, you can pretty much say adios to your hopes of "fresh material". 

3 hours ago, WeneedtotalkaboutKevin said:

Na, Jimmy Boy will expand his Avatar sequels upon the OLD MATERIAL in the first one. The new cast is basically the old one (still featuring Sam Worthington as our protagonist !). Even the main villain is the same throughout the five movies.

So, you can pretty much say adios to your hopes of "fresh material". 

Harrypotter, lotr and starwars.

Just the same characters everytime, completely unfresh!

Let's atleast watch the trailer before making this judgment ay kevin?

Also Quaritch and GET SOME are coming back through the same technology. My guess is that every big time merc on pandora had thier dna scanned andthwy both will get made and grown in a tank on the way back to earth.

Weaver isnt back from the dead, she's playing a navi now

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, IronJimbo said:

Harrypotter, lotr and starwars.

Just the same characters everytime, completely unfresh!

Let's atleast watch the trailer before making this judgment ay kevin?

Also Quaritch and GET SOME are coming back through the same technology. My guess is that every big time merc on pandora had thier dna scanned andthwy both will get made and grown in a tank on the way back to earth.

Weaver isnt back from the dead, she's playing a navi now

"Avatar will rehash old material!"

By the same people who pin on 40 years old characters being still exploited like Luke Skywalker, Darth Vader and Han Solo. I mean the whole ST selling point was about bringing back the oldies.

:hahaha:

Edited by dashrendar44
  • Like 3
  • Haha 1

To play @IronJimbo's advocate for a moment (got your back, brotha), I think you guys are underestimating Avatar 2's potential at least a little bit :P I don't think it'll make as much as the 1st one, mostly because, as far as we know, Cameron is not developing some brand new form of ultimate immersion device like IMAX 3D at the time of A1's release. And IMAX 3D was a massive influence in the inflation of prices and the #EventMovie appeal that everyone had to see at least once, combined with the best exchange rates in history that pushed the film to an astonishing 2B OS alone.

A2 seems like "just" a sequel to A1's story, so the novelty factor will be lost a bit. That being said, it's still fucking Avatar 2 and it'll get a lot of asses in seats, especially in the Holiday season. Cameron is also known for being the master of sequels - T2 and Aliens are two of the greatest sci-fi action films of all time, and Aliens was a sequel to a movie that he didn't even direct himself; and while I don't love Avatar (I think it's.... alright), there is plenty of potential for a quality sequel, and therefore, good-great wom (not that A1 didn't have great wom, for as much as I may personally disagree with it). I honestly would not be surprised with a 150-200M range OW, 550-650M DOM and 2B WW finish. Not a record breaker, but with the Disney machine behind the marketing, they're gonna get everyone's interest in the sequel to, whether we like it or not, the highest grossing film (unadjusted) in film history.

Edited by MCKillswitch123
  • Like 3

37 minutes ago, JamesCameronScholar said:

The fall of world tree has more emotional weight than I've ever seen inside the MCU.

Please leave quietly. You are clearly not a true fan of Avatar if you cannot even recall the correct name of their tree. (It's Home by the way)

@IronJimbo I'm so disappointed in JCS, I always suspected he was a fake follower... :(  

• Haha 2

35 minutes ago, JamesCameronScholar said:

The fall of world tree has more emotional weight than I've ever seen inside the MCU.

Personally I like when Jake gives the "This is our land!" speech with Tsu'tey translating and when Neytiri meets human Jake.

@MCKillswitch123

The 3D of Avatar got them to see an original film, science fiction film about blue humanoids with catlike features, then the film itself kept them coming back for more.

Now the Avatar cool aid has heen drunk it doesn't need to push boundaries to do well. Pushing boundaries is whats going to take A2 to the stratosphere.

I'm fully see where you're coming from but I still think thats lowballing, Jim's shown he can make universal stories which everyone can enjoy, not once but twice. Also he has shown he can make a kickass sequel not once but twice.

I'm fully on this hypetrain as you already know and with IW showing the strength of emerging markets my predictions are actually increasing.

4 billies isn't sounding crazy to me anymore.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

10 minutes ago, feasby007 said:

Please leave quietly. You are clearly not a true fan of Avatar if you cannot even recall the correct name of their tree. (It's Home by the way)

@IronJimbo I'm so disappointed in JCS, I always suspected he was a fake follower... :(  

JCS is a James Cameron scholar first and foremost lol.

Not every Jim fan has seen avatar 10+ times like us

• Haha 1

20 minutes ago, IronJimbo said:

Personally I like when Jake gives the "This is our land!" speech with Tsu'tey translating and when Neytiri meets human Jake.

@MCKillswitch123

The 3D of Avatar got them to see an original film, science fiction film about blue humanoids with catlike features, then the film itself kept them coming back for more.

Now the Avatar cool aid has heen drunk it doesn't need to push boundaries to do well. Pushing boundaries is whats going to take A2 to the stratosphere.

I'm fully see where you're coming from but I still think thats lowballing, Jim's shown he can make universal stories which everyone can enjoy, not once but twice. Also he has shown he can make a kickass sequel not once but twice.

I'm fully on this hypetrain as you already know and with IW showing the strength of emerging markets my predictions are actually increasing.

4 billies isn't sounding crazy to me anymore.

Yeah, I know the wom was clearly a big factor for A1, but.... I do feel like the IMAX 3D draw was probably THE big "you have to see this movie" factor behind it. It was a really big deal and seen as the future of cinema at the time. I compare Avatar to Wii Sports, and if you don't like video games or don't understand the reference, bear with me for a second: Wii Sports, kinda like Avatar, is basically a tech demo; but its actual content is also more than replayable enough to stand on its own as actually good, and because it worked both as a game (and in Avatar's case, as a movie) AND as a tech demo, the industry and fanbase became wholly caught up in the fad and saw it as a huge revolution that changed everything. In IMAX 3D's situation, I don't think Alice In Wonderland '10 and Clash Of The Titans '10 would have done as well as they did had they not benefitted big time from their 3D conversions that were clearly feeding off of hype wave (Alice rode it all the way to 1B WW, despite horrible wom). There were more factors at play w/Avatar's success than, say, Titanic, which was ALL wom. Ok, that and the Celine Dion song :P. Still, not taking away that the wom obviously helped Avatar a lot too. And this is coming from someone who isn't a big fan of the movie.

And hey, if Avatar 2 does push boundaries on a technological perspective on top of potential good wom, it wouldn't be so insane that it grosses similar numbers to A1. Now, 4B is pushing it :P. I get your enthusiasm, but again, A1 also benefitted from amazing exchange rates on top of that novelty factor (+ the good wom). The OS markets have grown since, for sure (especially China), but the exchange rates are something that can't be replicated on the other hand. To hit 4B, it'd need, like, 1B DOM, 500M China and 3.5B non-China OS (and with China included, the OS gross of A1 "only" struck over 2B). And unless it pushes some big boundaries and creates a big novelty of its own, only good wom can't really carry it that far, me thinks. Still, I sure as fuck didn't imagine 2.8B would ever be possible if Avatar came out today, but it happened, so.... what the hell do I know. We shall see what happens :ph34r:. I'll keep myself in the 2-2.1B WW range for A2, but anything's possible, I guess.

Edited by MCKillswitch123
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, JamesCameronScholar said:

When the North Korea leaders died, their people also cried a river. It looks like Avatar has the same effect on you as well.

nk%20dec22%20p.jpg

Edited by WeneedtotalkaboutKevin
e

17 hours ago, NGGKroze said:

Quartich villain again? What will be his motives now? Come with a bigger Army for revenge?

I've got a feeling he is going to go rogue. There are 4 films though so it might not happen straight away.

I think the collectors edition cut is the best as it fleshes out Graces as a character, you get to see her deep pain at what happened at the Na'vi school. Tsu'tey and Norm also had more scenes in the script but Jim couldn't release a 3hr 20m movie (shame). Norm has sex with trudey (michelle rodriguez), what a player

Edited by IronJimbo
  • Thanks 1

22 hours ago, feasby007 said:

My apologies, I focus too much on JC and not enough on his magnum opus - I'll correct it.

3 minutes ago, JamesCameronScholar said:

My apologies, I focus too much on JC and not enough on his magnum opus - I'll correct it.

Much appreciated. I'm sure it was just a one time slip up ;) 

• Thanks 1

On 06/05/2018 at 1:49 PM, IronJimbo said:

I've got a feeling he is going to go rogue. There are 4 films though so it might not happen straight away.

I think the collectors edition cut is the best as it fleshes out Graces as a character, you get to see her deep pain at what happened at the Na'vi school. Tsu'tey and Norm also had more scenes in the script but Jim couldn't release a 3hr 20m movie (shame). Norm has sex with trudey (michelle rodriguez), what a player

I can buy blue cat people, floating mountains, Ethernet trees but this...This shatters my suspension of disbelief.

Edited by dashrendar44
  • Like 1

Just now, dashrendar44 said:

I can buy blue cat people, floating mountains, Wifi trees but this...This shatters my suspension of disbelief.

well to be fair they are stuck in that cabin together for ~3 months and Jake already has his tail and it's blue

• Like 1