Peeta Tong Karanasios

Maleficent OS Thread

700M WW was locked when the first Japanese #'s came 8 days ago. Now it is so locked that I'm surprised baumer couldn't see the obviousness.

If Maleficent can survive the 5 openers in Japan next weekend (=30% drop or lower), 500M OS will be in the bag and we'll start talking about 750M WW.

• Like 1

It has Jolie attached as a director which should be enough. And a great story.

I love dramas. GA not much. It's rare a drama makes more than 100 million overseas. Changeling (with Jolie) made only 77 million.

700M WW was locked when the first Japanese #'s came 8 days ago. Now it is so locked that I'm surprised baumer couldn't see the obviousness.If Maleficent can survive the 5 openers in Japan next weekend (=30% drop or lower), 500M OS will be in the bag and we'll start talking about 750M WW.

I don't know about local films. But international releases are weak: only Planes 2 can make some money, and Planes made only 1M OW.http://www.imdb.com/calendar/?region=jp&ref_=ttrel_rel_66 Edited by Ajbg
  • Like 1

I love dramas. GA not much. It's rare a drama makes more than 100 million overseas. Changeling (with Jolie) made only 77 million.

which considering the 35 DOM is absolutly extraordinary. See Sanda B. T.B.S. overseas numbers.

[*]Maleficent has now grossed close to $670m worldwide to date and added $13.4m from 45 territories through Walt Disney Studios Motion Pictures International to climb to $447m after seven weekends.

The film stayed top in its second weekend in Japan and has now reached $19.1m. Elsewhere, China has generated $46m, Mexico $45.2m, Russia $37.2m, Brazil $31.1m and the UK $30.2m

http://www.screendaily.com/box-office/transformers-4-surges-past-500m/5075131.article?blocktitle=LATEST-INTERNATIONAL-BOX-OFFICE-NEWS&contentID=40071

(Today is Male's last day in China! :( )

Edited by A K A
  • Like 2

which considering the 35 DOM is absolutly extraordinary. See Sanda B. T.B.S. overseas numbers.

I know dramas are tough sell.But unbroken is a bigger picture than Changeling. And has some action. Maybe it works. I'm really curious about it.

It made 38 million in last 7 days lol

Wasn't it at 418.5 at the end of last weekend? 447-418.5 = 28.5

500m is still likely with Japan tho I think

Deadline:

Maleficent’s international tally after this weekend is $447M, and its global total is $668.9M. The Disney pic added $13.4M this frame in 45 markets. In Japan, where it dethroned Frozen as the No. 1 movie last weekend, it maintained its position with a 25% drop. The cume there after two weeks is $19.1M.

$19.1-$6.8=$12.3m

So the weekly in countries other than Japan is $28.5-$12.3=$16.2. Still doing great.

Edited by Sky™
  • Like 1

Wasn't it at 418.5 at the end of last weekend? 447-418.5 = 28.5 500m is still likely with Japan tho I think

I think he/she said worldwide (then, including USA).But, it made 13,4 international + 4,1 domestic this weekend = 17,5 million.In worst case, it'll do 35 million more (more than 700 million assured). But, actually it'll do more, because Japan has only two days weekend - the multiplier is bigger - and in other places it has good légs (bigger multiplier too).

I think he/she said worldwide (then, including USA).But, it made 13,4 international + 4,1 domestic this weekend = 17,5 million.In worst case, it'll do 35 million more (more than 700 million assured). But, actually it'll do more, because Japan has only two days weekend - the multiplier is bigger - and in other places it has good légs (bigger multiplier too).

Ah.. I see, thanks! :)

Yep 700M is locked now.

The Blind Side isn't a comparison for anything other than American Football films, it is not representative of dramas in general. their are plenty of dramas that do more than that OS, and with a better OS/DOM ratio.

[*]Maleficent has now grossed close to $670m worldwide to date and added $13.4m from 45 territories through Walt Disney Studios Motion Pictures International to climb to $447m after seven weekends.

The film stayed top in its second weekend in Japan and has now reached $19.1m. Elsewhere, China has generated $46m, Mexico $45.2m, Russia $37.2m, Brazil $31.1m and the UK $30.2m

http://www.screendaily.com/box-office/transformers-4-surges-past-500m/5075131.article?blocktitle=LATEST-INTERNATIONAL-BOX-OFFICE-NEWS&contentID=40071

(Today is Male's last day in China! :( )

I seriously think Male should get an extension in China as still a lot of people tweeted at weibo(Chinese version of twitter) said that they can't watch Maleficent as the screen numbers have been cut to around 5%(one show per day in the early morning eg 9am) since TF4 opened! 

Edited by A K A
  • Like 2

Yesterday was not the last day for Maleficent in China!  I checked the Wanda Cinema(largest chain in China) website and it shows Maleficent still on their list but with limited screen tomorrow(Tuesday)! 

Here we go, 

China (Monday 14/07)

2.0M yuan, Total : 289M yuan/$46.6M

Edited by A K A
  • Like 4