Shawn Robbins

CA2: $10.2m Thursday Night (beats Thor2's $7.1m) | $100m+ coming?

True but superhero movies have still not tapped unexplored territory like YA (Spidey is the only thing that has come remotely close), feminism (keep being afraid of getting cooties from that WW flick, WB. How is that working out for you so far?), social themes  (this was where Fox dropped the ball BIG TIME with the X-Men), family themed (this was where Fox dropped the ball BIG TIME again with the X-Men AND Fantastic Four) and gangster/noir/gritty street (Fox is great at dropping the ball. This time with Daredevil).

So basically the superhero genre can overlap with any other genre, as long as writers are creative and the studios have balls to back their scripts. 

Plus, "Action genre" also has a sense of sameness to it too.

every genre and sub genre can. Every adapotion for a book, video games, real life event, comic books can have multiplier genre. 

I've always thought it would be funny if a studio picked one of its lesser superhero properties and just decided, "Yeah, we're going to make this epic superhero into a raunchy comedy." I'd love that. I think it almost happened with Jack Black as Green Lantern.

True but superhero movies have still not tapped unexplored territory like YA (Spidey is the only thing that has come remotely close), feminism (keep being afraid of getting cooties from that WW flick, WB. How is that working out for you so far?), social themes  (this was where Fox dropped the ball BIG TIME with the X-Men), family themed (this was where Fox dropped the ball BIG TIME again with the X-Men AND Fantastic Four) and gangster/noir/gritty street (Fox is great at dropping the ball. This time with Daredevil).

So basically the superhero genre can overlap with any other genre, as long as writers are creative and the studios have balls to back their scripts. 

Plus, "Action genre" also has a sense of sameness to it too.

Sorry, I'm not a passionate TASM hater but how on earth have any of the spiderman films even come close to exploring feminism or social themes? 

I think what Feige is accomplishing is truely remarkable and what is he making is superhero movies without cynism, Marvel Studio takes the genre and all its crazyness seriously and that to me is a huge artistic statement, call it corporate all you want but I think it is misguided.

Remember what Joss Whedon said : "I believe in the genre, I don't think it is needs to be (the exact quote escapes me at the moment)"

• Like 4

I think what Feige is accomplishing is truely remarkable and what is he making is superhero movies without cynism...

Richard Donner was cynical when he made SUPERMAN? Del Toro was cynical when he made HELLBOY? Sincerity is hardly a new thing. (I appreciate it, but c'mon.)

From a business perspective, I agree: Marvel is very smart about how they're building out their universe and plugging pieces together.

Edited by Telemachos

• Founder / Operator

You want artistic blockbusters?

How often can you make a successful franchise from those?

Inception and Gravity were one shots.

Hollywood lives off of franchises.

By choice, though. Not entirely out of necessity.

• Like 5

Richard Donner was cynical when he made SUPERMAN? Del Toro was cynical when he made HELLBOY? Sincerity is hardly a new thing. (I appreciate it, but c'mon.)

From a business perspective, I agree: Marvel is very smart about how they're building out their universe and plugging pieces together.

True but Feige is doing it on such a scale and scope that it needs a man with a vision and Feige is truly a clever dude.

Edited by The Futurist
  • Like 1