Shawn Robbins

CA2: $10.2m Thursday Night (beats Thor2's $7.1m) | $100m+ coming?

if this hits over $100M OW, I think that means Superman Vs. Batman will end up moving. Even though, it would be the bigger film of the two, you don't want to go against a film like what Cap 2 looks to make.

I think WB will move it regardless of CA2 OW being under or over $100 M because it has more to lose if  it failed than CA3 in the same situation.

It will do it because CA3 is 100% sure to open bigger than CA2 surfing on both CA2 and AOU goodwill where its main star leads.

WB has MOS as a starting point and a reboot Batman to be compared to TDK trilogy., which is a disadvantage it will have to deal with.  It needs more than Marvel a date for itself to maximise its revenues.

Also, while domestically it is a certainty that BvS will end up bigger.  On the foreign front, especially in expanding Asia, things are unclear.  The Marvel's brand will keep on increasing its domination for the next two years while WB, not having a project in between lost that battle already.

The battle is not just at home when it comes to tentpoles.  It's outside too and those two movies will lose lots of money if released on the same date, However overseas facing each other, Marvel has the edge and an ever increasing fanbase.  

Marvel has the upper hand in terms of that decision to move or not cause it can afford having a minor failure at home, it will be soften by the foreign front where CA2 already can approach $100M in China only.  AOU could hit $200 M in that country in 2015.  Imagine what CA3  could do the next year when it features the avenger lead who nearly reached or reached $100 M in its last solo experience ?

WB doesn't have the luxury to face CA3 in every single country, especially in Asia.  It can't afford failure/underperformance in a number of important markets cause it needs to maximise its revenues as underperfomance could halt its subsequent projects.

WB needs to strike hard and to have its first commercial and critical reception since it launched its universe.  MOS has bombed in so many big countries overseas (doing even less in italy than Superman Returns despite Nolan's name, despite 3D...even the horrendous FF did better)  and it's not a good sign for such an iconic character.    So he is not the liability he is at home bar in countries like the UK and Australia...

Will its follow up improved TREMENDOUSLY in countries like Brasil, South Korea, Germany, Russia, where it did so poorly.. ?  Will it be able to pull numbers like TDKR did in those countries ?  I mean it has still to be proven that a no Nolan Batman can pull those figures abroad wether Superman and WW are added or not.  

While for CA3, projections can be made based on CA2 reception, knowing that all those trilogies increase tremendously and have an avengers effect...an AOU affect is therefore expected for CA3.

As i said Marvel has the upper hand.  It can even fuck with WB and add a new character like the Black Panther in CA last installment or ask RDJ or the Hulk to come back and voilà !  

I don't think Marvel will back down.  I think WB will because their situation is more vulnerable and they have to win big having to face a bigger production cost, limitting the risks to its maximum.  They cannot afford losing a few millions and this, on all fronts both domestically and overseas.

That's the only way to put their shared universe back on track and to have a chance to expand it with future projects.  If they failed, they may not release JUSTICE LEAGUE.  If CA3 underperform as i don't see it failing, it will be a minor setback for Marvel, its shared universe is in orbit already and other projects will still be on track regardless.

Edited by Ent
  • Like 1

The best thing would be putting IM4 in that spot..Fuck off WB

Ahemmmm. Lifts buddy FMpro above head and drops his body across my kneee---CRACK!!!!

LOL... That is blasphemous FMpro... You will feel the burn of Superman and Batman.

ANd move you say.. I doubt anything less than Avatar would make WB shake in its boots.. Batman And Superman

will shatter records :)> Your talking golden age and all the batman and superhero and sci-fis running

to this one :).

Wow Congratulations on Captain America..  I was telling folks that both Godzilla and Captain are going to suprise

and potentially make 95-120M OWs.... 1 down  a unstoppable force of nature left to go :)!!

You won't hear news about anything moving until sometime in 2015

Why so late? Should have it figured out soon and with Comic-Con coming up a good time to announce the 2016 movies.