Dementeleus

Weekend #s April 4-6 (Cap2: 96.2, Noah 17, Divergent 13)

Haven't read all the way back over the last 7 pages, but I remember someone asking what might have caused CA2 to be more front-loaded than Thor 2. My best guess right now is it was a combination of two things: CA2 generated more excitement among fans than Thor 2 (largely because of the reviews and pre-release buzz), and maybe, some of the general audience are treating it as more of a Saturday-Sunday matinee film.

If it doesn't stay relatively flat today though, that theory's partly shot. At that point, I think we'd have to wonder if IM3 and Thor 2 have combined to diminish non-fan interest on opening weekend. But it's too early to say. Let's see Saturday's hold.

I think part of it is that at this point, Marvel is a very mature franchise. Even though this is only the second CA film, it's the eighth (?) in the franchise, so there's going to be an increased amount of frontloading.

And regarding earlier conversation about the look of Marvel films, pretty much none of them had distinctive direction except the first Thor and Cap.

I think the major flaw for me with Cap 2 was some of the action scenes just got to over the top for the style they were going for, spectacle is nice but it needs to be constrained for full effect. The best parts were definitely the more personal sections, just like Iron Man 3. I wanted more of the political thriller aspects and less of the over the top action and concepts that broke the tone.Also on a box office note people say Iron Man 3 wasn't well liked by the GA but I have yet to see anything to prove otherwise, although I don't think it was necessarily loved.

Edited by The Panda
  • Like 1

I haven't watched TWD since season 1, but there are lots of shows I drop after a season. I've been meaning to catch up on Shameless, haven't watched that since season 1 either

i'd say you needn't bother. emmy rossum is good and fine as anything but whatever.i've been so busy since the start of this year. i used to have like 101 shows, but so far community and true detective are really the only ones i've kept up with. fallen way behind on everything else.
  • Like 1

I think the major flaw for me with Cap 2 was some of the action scenes just got to over the top for the style they were going for, spectacle is nice but it needs to be constrained for full effect.

The best parts were definitely the more personal sections, just like Iron Man 3. I wanted more of the political thriller aspects and less of the over the top action and concepts that broke the tone.

Also on a box office note people say Iron Man 3 wasn't well liked by the GA but I have yet to see anything to prove otherwise, although I don't think it was necessarily loved.

Lee Bermejo agrees

Posted Image

Whoaaaa...I just noticed something, not sure if its big or not. Okay currently watching IM2 (don't ask way, just placeholder for 10 more minutes until the final four) and it's the court scene with Stark and Senator Stern. Remember Stern was all like "give us your IM's suits, the government needs them" and Stark was all "fuck you, I'm Iron Man".

Okay now remember Cap when Stern shows up again. Is the reason he wanted Stark to give up his because armors was so 

HYDRA could really get control, and not the government, and then they could use his suits to kill people and take control just like they were going to use the Hellicarriers?

Is that what his scene was referencing?

• Like 2

I think the major flaw for me with Cap 2 was some of the action scenes just got to over the top for the style they were going for, spectacle is nice but it needs to be constrained for full effect.The best parts were definitely the more personal sections, just like Iron Man 3. I wanted more of the political thriller aspects and less of the over the top action and concepts that broke the tone.Also on a box office note people say Iron Man 3 wasn't well liked by the GA but I have yet to see anything to prove otherwise, although I don't think it was necessarily loved.

I thought the action scenes of Cap 2 were the less exciting parts of the movie, but that's only because the dramatic scenes were so good. And the action itself was excellent too.

With IM3, I felt like there was some great promise early in the film, with Tony dealing with the aftermath of New York and having panic attacks. That's heavy stuff. But they drop it halfway through the film and never really revisit it. It ends pretty well, but if there's a problem I had with IM3, it's that all the drama is in the first half of the film and all the action in the second half. I thought Cap 2 was more balanced, and followed its themes through to their logical conclusion.

• Like 2

Whoaaaa...I just noticed something, not sure if its big or not. Okay currently watching IM2 (don't ask way, just placeholder for 10 more minutes until the final four) and it's the court scene with Stark and Senator Stern. Remember Stern was all like "give us your IM's suits, the government needs them" and Stark was all "fuck you, I'm Iron Man". Okay now remember Cap when Stern shows up again. Is the reason he wanted Stark to give up his because armors was so 

HYDRA could really get control, and not the government, and then they could use his suits to kill people and take control just like they were going to use the Hellicarriers?

Is that what his scene was referencing?

all i know is garry shandling looks like someone just threw acid in his face in captain america 2. jesus christ...

Django Unchained, Silver Linings Playbook, Life of Pi, and Les Miserables are all much more entertaining/exciting than Zero Dark Thirty. Lincoln can be argued to be less entertaining/exciting but it's a close call.

Never saw Amour or Beasts.

• Like 3

I think part of it is that at this point, Marvel is a very mature franchise. Even though this is only the second CA film, it's the eighth (?) in the franchise, so there's going to be an increased amount of frontloading.And regarding earlier conversation about the look of Marvel films, pretty much none of them had distinctive direction except the first Thor and Cap.

I feel that will change with Gunn's Guardians and Wright's Ant-Man. Actually felt Black put his stamp on Iron Man Three somewhat too. Definitely concur with the Russos lacking in the set design/cinematography department though.

Django Unchained, Silver Linings Playbook, Life of Pi, and Les Miserables are all much more entertaining/exciting than Zero Dark Thirty. Lincoln can be argued to be less entertaining/exciting but it's a close call.

Posted Image

• Like 3

Zero Dark Thirty is a great movie and not boring at all, so I don't know what you are talking about.  :mellow:

• Like 2

Posted Image
  • Like 3

i'd say you needn't bother. emmy rossum is good and fine as anything but whatever.i've been so busy since the start of this year. i used to have like 101 shows, but so far community and true detective are really the only ones i've kept up with. fallen way behind on everything else.

Yeah my DVR is jam-packed with shit I'll probably never get around to. There are maybe a half-dozen shows I've watched with any kind of regularity this season

Posted Image
Django Unchained, Life of Pi, and Silver Linings Playbook are the better movies, and I agree with Blankments much more entertaining.

I loved ZDT but it can get boring after you watch it once, unlike the other three which stay brilliantly engaging.

• Like 1