Dementeleus

THE MARTIAN | Oct 2, 2015 | Will compete as a comedy at the Golden Globes

hmm..I feel this could do 55-60/200m+ and be the biggest movie post Minions and before Specter.

This and possibly Compton are the only films (MI5 notwithstanding) that I could see making a run for $150 million+ DOM from now until Spectre. 

Of course, I'm not saying Fall 2015 will be bad. :lol:  I actually think we'll potentially have 6-7 Sep and Oct releases do $90 million+ DOM and 4-5 doing $100 million+ DOM. It's just that The Martian is the only one I can see breaking out that big. And this fall is looking to be one where everything does solid, but nothing does gigantic other than possibly Martian. 

• Like 1

This year can break the curse. I can't name 3 good Hollywood movies filmed (partially) in Hungary. I remember Die Hard 5, Hercules (2014) and a bunch of other shit movies, but no good ones except Ghost Protocol (first 5 min). This year we have Spy already and The Martian's Earth scenes were also shot here.

Edited by misafeco
  • Like 2

Kate Mara is in this. The movie is doomed! She's the female equivalent of Jai Courtney.

Then the upcoming movie called Man Down, not a very auspicious title, co-starring Jai Courtney, must be the unluckiest movie ever.

Transcendence, 2014, opened with $10M, with 60% drop in 2nd weekend.

Deadfall, 2012, co-stars another box office downer Olivia Wilde, grossed $66,000

She has a 5-minute role, and flashes her badge to Tony Stark in Iron Man 2, and it 

is the worst Iron Man movie.

She is attached to F4 sequel due in 2017.

But she is in the awesome 1st season of House of Cards with Kevin Spacey.

Maybe she is not meant to be in big budget movie?

Edited by zackzack
  • Like 1

Let the record show, I'm not a fast reader.

But, I have read the first two third of this in one sitting. It is just a fun fucking read. I think a lot of it will lend itself well to a film adaptation. Actually, I think this will be hard to fuck up. There is a ton of juicy drama on Earth that is, at times, more exciting then the survival story. Ridley Scott is overdue for a hit and I think this might be it!

• Like 1

This movie sounds more formulaic than a superhero film to me.

All the ingredients I see in the trailer, I ve seen it all in other movies.

The plot is pretty straightforward. It's a survival story. A lot of the elements are going to be similar to other high concept survival stories: Apollo 13, Gravity, Castaway, etc.

The thing about it is the execution of the plot, not the plot itself. Damon's character (if he's like he is in the novel) is very, very funny, in spite of the tremendously horrible situation he's stuck in.

That's the thing I worry about most. Scott's recent films seem particularly devoid of humor. If you take that out, this is going to be a slog to view.

• Like 1

This movie sounds more formulaic than a superhero film to me.

All the ingredients I see in the trailer, I ve seen it all in other movies.

It is a very very formulaic story. The humor of Mark Watney while being trapped on a planet far far away is what makes the book so entertaining, hopefully that comes through in the movie as well.

• Like 2

It is a very very formulaic story. The humor of Mark Watney while being trapped on a planet far far away is what makes the book so entertaining, hopefully that comes through in the movie as well.

And all the ways he stays alive which are 95% scientifically accurate, the book is pretty much a love letter to science.  If its executed well, it will easily stand apart from other survivalist movies.

Edited by Ozymandias
  • Like 3

Let the record show, I'm not a fast reader. But, I have read the first two third of this in one sitting. It is just a fun fucking read. I think a lot of it will lend itself well to a film adaptation. Actually, I think this will be hard to fuck up. There is a ton of juicy drama on Earth that is, at times, more exciting then the survival story. Ridley Scott is overdue for a hit and I think this might be it!
I've only seen the trailer but the earth stuff looks much more interesting than the Mars stuff. I can't decide whether or not to read the book. Everyone says it's great fun but I don't want to lessen the first experience of a hopefully equally fun movie.