Dementeleus

THE MARTIAN | Oct 2, 2015 | Will compete as a comedy at the Golden Globes

Loved it, my only criticism is that Scott cut 20 minutes because he felt it was too long... I didn't feel the length at all and there were some things missing from the book.  Hopefully that extended cut he mentioned makes it on the Blu-ray.

Ugh. More extended cuts? :mellow:

This.

I saw The Martian last night. It's very good. It's a fun, feel good space movie with fantastic visual and likeable characters. It's clever. It's funny. The movie did everything right except the lack of emotional payout and the real thrill and tension that could live it up to another level. It's like

a Marvel movie compare to Interstellar being a DC one in term of tone and storytelling. It's a crowd pleasure, I just prefer a much darker movie given the plot and the premises.

I share a lot of your observations. I feel that Ridley Scott is not really required to direct this one. Ridley is more of a doom-n-gloom guy, look at Alien, Blade Runner & Gladiator. Martian is very light-hearted, too polite, very, very careful not to offend anyone, to the point of ...but it is rare to see a movie so sunshine-y and optimistic. I will be surprised if the audience at large does not embrace this one. This could be the Holiday Smash everybody is waiting for. 

But here is the strange thing:  this is probably the first film that I saw this year where the characters seldom argue, everybody's emotion is muted, everybody almost agrees on everything, everybody is gung-ho, everybody is teaming up, there is almost no crisis. The only character who is really frustrated is Matt Damon. And oh yeah, they didn't kill Sean Bean.

Edited by zackzack
  • Like 1

I share a lot of your observations. I feel that Ridley Scott is not really required to direct this one. Ridley is more of a doom-n-gloom guy, look at Alien, Blade Runner & Gladiator. Martian is very light-hearted, too polite, very, very careful not to offend anyone, to the point of ...but it is rare to see a movie so sunshine-y and optimistic. I will be surprised if the audience at large does not embrace this one. Could be the Holiday Smash everybody is waiting for.

But he did direct it.

Let's not deny him of his accomplishment if it is good.

But seriously...is this the one? You know, the one...the...Ridley makes one great move every decade one?

I share a lot of your observations. I feel that Ridley Scott is not really required to direct this one. Ridley is more of a doom-n-gloom guy, look at Alien, Blade Runner & Gladiator. Martian is very light-hearted, too polite, very, very careful not to offend anyone, to the point of ...but it is rare to see a movie so sunshine-y and optimistic. I will be surprised if the audience at large does not embrace this one. Could be the Holiday Smash everybody is waiting for. 

Scott has done lighter fare successfully before with Thelma & Louise / Matchstick Men. 

But he did direct it.

But seriously...is this the one? You know, the one...the...Ridley makes one great move every decade one?

Great as in better than Interstellar and Gravity?  Yep.  emot-smug.gif

But he did direct it.

What was the one in the 90s?

I guess he had two in the 80s, though.