John Marston

Edge of Tomorrow OS Thread

400 million would be a nice round number to make up for its disappointing run overall but it looks like it will fall short. Still, I know this is the place for box office discussion, but edge of tomorrow's legacy wont be determined by its immediate box office. I always say in 50 years when people are re watching older movies, they wont care how much it made back then, they will just care about its quality and how good it is. I think edge will stand the test of time as a great addition to cruise's filmography.

• Like 3

In Japan

Edge grossed 4.5 million $ in 331 sitesMIGP grossed 7.3 million $ in 636 sitesOblivion grossed 3.5 million $ in 361 sitesJack Reacher grossed 2.6 million $ in 321 sitesKnight & Day grossed 5.99 million $ in 589 sitesMI 3 grossed 6.3 million $ in 800 sites

The avg for EOt is higher than others...but its screening numbers are almost on par with Jack reacher which is a small budget n marketing movie...I think WB marketing manager shuld be fired....

That's not apples to apples as the 4.5m includes the previews. Anyway, why the low theater count? On par with Jack Reacher and lower than Oblivion. Makes no sense at all.

Edited by picores

I understand mission impossible since the franchise is popular, but how did knight and day get 250+ more sites than EoT? I thought Edge would have been seen as more of a blockbuster type movie.

I think you're framing this wrong. Precisely because of the relative failure of movies like Knight & Day, Cruise's screens are declining. He hasn't had a clear-cut hit outside of M:I in a decade. I agree this movie was worthy of blockbuster treatment but you can't blame international movie houses for more measured assumptions.

Also, just to reiterate, the weekend was not $4.5 mil. The Sat/Sun weekend was $2.5 mil according to Corpse. Based on the various numbers I've seen I think the Friday was $0.6 (which doesn't count toward the weekend) and the previous weekend's previews were $1.5 mil.

• Like 1

That's not apples to apples as the 4.5m includes the previews. Anyway, why the low theater count? On par with Jack Reacher and lower than Oblivion. Makes no sense at all.

331 theaters is pretty wide in Japan.  I've never seen a film play in more than 360-370 theaters.

• Like 1

I understand mission impossible since the franchise is popular, but how did knight and day get 250+ more sites than EoT? I thought Edge would have been seen as more of a blockbuster type movie.

That list above is wrong.  It's got theater counts mixed in with screen counts.  Anything above 350/360 (like 500, 600) is a screen count.  Edge of Tomorrow played in 331 theaters ON 632 screens.  

Edited by Corpse
  • Like 3

That list above is wrong.  It's got theater counts mixed in with screen counts.  Anything above 350/360 (like 500, 600) is a screen count.  Edge of Tomorrow played in 331 theaters ON 632 screens.  

Thank you for always taking the time to explain these things - can be confusing at times

What kind of multiplier does a original well-received action movie gets in China?

2.5x seems to be the going rate. That's what EoT got. Maybe 3x if it's really well received. Chinese film mandarins tend crowd all the summer releases together deliberately, which weakens them. TF4 may beat a 3 multiplier, of course, but it's clearly a special case.

If you're curious about Japan multipliers, go to page 306 of the relevant thread and see MojoGuy quoting Corpse.

I think you're framing this wrong. Precisely because of the relative failure of movies like Knight & Day, Cruise's screens are declining. He hasn't had a clear-cut hit outside of M:I in a decade. I agree this movie was worthy of blockbuster treatment but you can't blame international movie houses for more measured assumptions.Also, just to reiterate, the weekend was not $4.5 mil. The Sat/Sun weekend was $2.5 mil according to Corpse. Based on the various numbers I've seen I think the Friday was $0.6 (which doesn't count toward the weekend) and the previous weekend's previews were $1.5 mil.

That list above is wrong. It's got theater counts mixed in with screen counts. Anything above 350/360 (like 500, 600) is a screen count. Edge of Tomorrow played in 331 theaters ON 632 screens.

Oh right, thanks. Makes more sense taking that into consideration. Ive never thought of it like this but i guess actors are like franchises n themselves and some of Cruise's less well received movies have damaged his brand.

Oh right, thanks. Makes more sense taking that into consideration. Ive never thought of it like this but i guess actors are like franchises n themselves and some of Cruise's less well received movies have damaged his brand.

I disagree with this. His recent flops doesn't seem to have affected EoT box office performances in China and South Korea. I think the transition to a female-centered Japanese film audience and said audience being less receptive of a boy-centric sci-fi film is the bigger problem.
  • Like 3

His recent flops

Cruise has no flops if you don`t count ensemble-driven "Rock of Ages" and "Lions for lambs". Underperformers, may be.

But I get your point.

Female-centric movies sadden me. :P

Edited by Gagen
  • Like 1

Cruise has no flops if you don`t count ensemble-driven "Rock of Ages" and "Lions for lambs". Underperformers, may be.

But I get your point.

Female-centric movies sadden me. :P

You're right of course, poor choice of words. Below expectations was what I meant. 

I disagree with this. His recent flops doesn't seem to have affected EoT box office performances in China and South Korea. I think the transition to a female-centered Japanese film audience and said audience being less receptive of a boy-centric sci-fi film is the bigger problem.

Oh yeah, the box office in china and south korea was very good. I was thinking more about his name value in japan alone. Why is the audience in japan female centered? Guys dont go to the cinema?