John Marston

Edge of Tomorrow OS Thread

Retaining top spot in Korea with $6.2m for $24.8m, Edge of Tomorrow fought its way to an additional $37.4m, with around 5.1m admissions, for $181m to date overseas including $14.2m generated by IMAX.

The action sci-fi held well in China against the might ofGodzilla with a $9.3m weekend and a local tally of $49.7m, while Russia dropped just 19% in its second weekend to add $6.1m for $16.4m.

• Like 1

Retaining top spot in Korea with $6.2m for $24.8m, Edge of Tomorrow fought its way to an additional $37.4m, with around 5.1m admissions, for $181m to date overseas including $14.2m generated by IMAX.

The action sci-fi held well in China against the might ofGodzilla with a $9.3m weekend and a local tally of $49.7m, while Russia dropped just 19% in its second weekend to add $6.1m for $16.4m.

I hope Japan comes to the rescue, Tom Cruise is BIG there, it did big in SK so there are good signs. 

$350-375 million WW will be an okay number and the movie probably won't lose money. That must count as a win given how the movie was tracking a month ago. Right ?

Well it could get close or reach $400M, if Japan overperforms. Tom Cruise is HUGE there, $50M+ there could happen. 

I seriously don't understand what were people's expectations regarding this movie. Come to rescue? It's a hit. Show me an original sci-fi that is the past 10 years that has done better than EoT? Show me a non-franchise, non-Oscar film that has done better?

If it performs well in Japan, EoT have a really good shot at beating both Pacific Rim and Prometheus.

• Like 1

I seriously don't understand what were people's expectations regarding this movie. Come to rescue? It's a hit. Show me an original sci-fi that is the past 10 years that has done better than EoT? Show me a non-franchise, non-Oscar film that has done better?If it performs well in Japan, EoT have a really good shot at beating both Pacific Rim and Prometheus.

It's a disappointment overall for its budget. Get over it
  • Like 3

That's the studio's fault. The numbers and film's performance over the globe are great. It was never gonna make 500m WW given its genre, so it's only disappointing for those who let it have such a high budget. If you take the budget aside for a sceond and look at the sheer numbers, it's doing extremely well for an original sci-fi.

• Like 1

I seriously don't understand what were people's expectations regarding this movie. Come to rescue? It's a hit. Show me an original sci-fi that is the past 10 years that has done better than EoT? Show me a non-franchise, non-Oscar film that has done better?

If it performs well in Japan, EoT have a really good shot at beating both Pacific Rim and Prometheus.

List all movies with a 180m budget you believe were a 'hit'. Put in EoT in that list and compare the grosses.

That's the studio's fault. The numbers and film's performance over the globe are great. It was never gonna make 500m WW given its genre, so it's only disappointing for those who let it have such a high budget. If you take the budget aside for a sceond and look at the sheer numbers, it's doing extremely well for an original sci-fi.

I get what you mean. Do you agree that a better release date could have allowed for better numbers?

I disagree with Alfred. This is a big budget mainstream action movie. if it is limited to 400M WW, studio had no business keeping the budget at 178M. With marketing it needs HV to break even. We will know once warners report their quarterly earnings on impact of this one.

Tom's WOTW was a benchmark to target considering OS markets have exploded since 2005. Avatar has shown Sci-fi has no limits. Inception is another film they showed how big the genre can be.

• Like 2

I disagree with Alfred. This is a big budget mainstream action movie. if it is limited to 400M WW, studio had no business keeping the budget at 178M. With marketing it needs HV to break even. We will know once warners report their quarterly earnings on impact of this one.

Tom's WOTW was a benchmark to target considering OS markets have exploded since 2005. Avatar has shown Sci-fi has no limits. Inception is another film they showed how big the genre can be.

Yeah, excepting  that Liman is no Cameron or Nolan. 

I`m sure Interstellar will be a huge hit.