Films

Weekend numbers: Ca2 41.4M, Oculus 12M, draft day 9.75M, Raid 2 1M

And here comes Nikki with her weekend estimates @NikkiFinke: Wkd Box Office: #1 / $40M tie between 'Rio 2' (Fox-3948 runs) & 'Captain America 2' (Marvel-3938) because of "good US weather".

Cap should do more than 40 mill
  • Like 1

I was actually supporting Cap: TWS there........TDK is more violent and adult and if that didn't affect its box office earnings why would it affect Cap: TWS?

We are talking about the "Marvel" boost. This has nothing to do with the TDK or any other movie. But the point is moot anyway because the boosts from other Marvel movies were posted A2Knet

Edited by ECSTASY

Compared to the May movies CA2's 52% bump is better than TA, IM1 and IM2 - 46.8%, 43.7%, 49.7%.

Lower than Thor and IM3 - 66% and 62.6%

So not really an un-Marvel bump.

Prior to Avengers, Marvel didn't play like family movies. That was the point they were making in weekend box office articles and so on, all I said was that the bump is lower than Thor 2 and IM3 right now  :)

• Like 4

Cap should do more than 40 mill

Not if the weather is good again.

(Seriously though, yes, it should hit 40 if that Sat number is accurate. And Fri doesn't decrease.)

Both are superheroes, both are getting a good rap, both are amazing films. Only thing different is the release dates for both.

Wrong. One major difference is that TDK is significantly bigger. By a huge amount.

You cannot compare movies like TDK and Avengers and Avatar to other movies. Those movies are transcendent. They don't follow normal boxoffice rules or trends.

Wrong. One major difference is that TDK is significantly bigger. By a huge amount.

You cannot compare movies like TDK and Avengers and Avatar to other movies. Those movies are transcendent. They don't follow normal boxoffice rules or trends.

Perhaps. I don't think that violence would hurt a Marvel movie though.

Prior to Avengers, Marvel didn't play like family movies. That was the point they were making in weekend box office articles and so on, all I said was that the bump is lower than Thor 2 and IM3 right now  :)

Ok  :).

In Thor 2's case though the Sunday drop in November was big at -44.5% (only 1 movie in top 10 had a lower than 40% drop..Free Birds at 38.7%... 5 fell > 47%). So I assume Sat had a bigger share of business in general for all movies.

Though yeah, Avengers made things more family friendly and that probably showed in IM3's bump.

Edited by a2knet

:lol: I was thinking more about the 43-45m that many were considering decent on Friday evening.

I think people are just happy that it's got a chance to finish in 1st place. In no way, shape, or form would a 40M weekend be considered great.  (Though Thor The Dark World's second weekend was 36.5, so it's still well ahead of TDW's numbers. Fortunately.)

I'll ask again: is Fox more likely to overestimate tomorrow morning so they can claim first place for the weekend?

• Like 1