Films

Weekend numbers: Ca2 41.4M, Oculus 12M, draft day 9.75M, Raid 2 1M

I'm not sure about the other regions of the U.S. but I know in Pittsburgh we go through some harsh and long winters so when we get good weather nobody wants to be inside lol. That's certainly the case this weekend.

Edited by AJ2k
  • Like 1

Today is the final round of the Masters as well.  Not sure how big of an audience it will have seeing as Tiger didn't play, but then again, he really hasn't been a factor at a major in quite sometime.

Today is the final round of the Masters as well.  Not sure how big of an audience it will have seeing as Tiger didn't play, but then again, he really hasn't been a factor at a major in quite sometime.

Masters ratings are hugely down. Mad Men won't have any factor at all because really it's a show that gets critical acclaim, not ratings. Game of Thrones will be huge tonight though.

• Like 1

You Me & Dupree on TBS

Hail Russos

I tried to watch the Community paintball episode yesterday, and even though the action was good, I just couldn't sit through it since I had no idea who the characters were

Looking at the weekend numbers, all Phase 2 Marvel movies are basically performing the exact same. The showdown on BOM is within a percentage point everyday. Cap 2 may hold better next weekend due to Easter, but the weekend after that will be better for Thor 2 (Thanksgiving) and IM3 (Memorial Day), so looks like they will all even out by the end.

It leads to the question of whether reviews even matter anymore for Marvel movies. If even with 90% on RT and supposed hot word of mouth Cap 2 drops the same as Thor 2 or IM3 on its second weekend, it will take a really extraordinary movie to buck that trend.

This weekend should be interesting to see the drop for Cap though - even though Easter will help the drop slightly, there will be a major effect from loss of IMAX, RPX, ETX etc. to Transcendence. This weekend's numbers are not available, but last weekend Cap grossed 15.6M from large format screens i.e. 17% of the gross. And this percentage obviously increases with upcoming weekends, so a guess of roughly 20-25% of the 41M this weekend probably came from large formats i.e. around 8-10M. With Transcendence taking those screens away, the easter bump may be negated.

• Like 1

I think "Heaven is for real" will surprise next weekend. It may challenge Transcendence, Rio 2 and Cap 2 for the #1 spot. Easter time + a faith based movie + based on "real events" + based on a bestseller seems to be a really good combination.

I was invited to see it next Sunday... I doubt I'm going to go :lol:

Okay, the movie just ended... and I just gotta say I'll be surprised if Avengers 2 isn't the #1 most anticipated by this forum by the time it becomes eligible for that list in the Speakeasy. I always forget how much I love this movie... even I watched yesterday as well :lol:

Edited by Blankments
  • Like 2

Looking at the weekend numbers, all Phase 2 Marvel movies are basically performing the exact same. The showdown on BOM is within a percentage point everyday. Cap 2 may hold better next weekend due to Easter, but the weekend after that will be better for Thor 2 (Thanksgiving) and IM3 (Memorial Day), so looks like they will all even out by the end.

It leads to the question of whether reviews even matter anymore for Marvel movies. If even with 90% on RT and supposed hot word of mouth Cap 2 drops the same as Thor 2 or IM3 on its second weekend, it will take a really extraordinary movie to buck that trend.

This weekend should be interesting to see the drop for Cap though - even though Easter will help the drop slightly, there will be a major effect from loss of IMAX, RPX, ETX etc. to Transcendence. This weekend's numbers are not available, but last weekend Cap grossed 15.6M from large format screens i.e. 17% of the gross. And this percentage obviously increases with upcoming weekends, so a guess of roughly 20-25% of the 41M this weekend probably came from large formats i.e. around 8-10M. With Transcendence taking those screens away, the easter bump may be negated.

It's a mature series. It'll be interesting to see how GotG does, because it's a "new" film.

But I think going forward we're likely to see more conglomeration of the MCU numbers. AoU will probably decline a bit from the first, and the Phase 3 movies probably won't see an appreciable bump from Phase 2.

God's Not Dead is going to outgross Muppets Most Wanted domestically. I'm gonna be sick.

Disney is handling Muppets wrong, IMO. They have never been big on the screen except for the first one. What does Disney want to do? Sell Kermit and Gonzo plushes, bed sets, and have them walk around Disney World. They need to put the Muppets on Disney Channel, and they could have holiday specials on ABC. The movies just isnt going to work for them, but a sitcom show could and it'll be a more effective way of introducing them to the new generation.

As for God's Not Dead, it clearly has an audience, whether youre apart of it or not, so them showing up and Muppets fans not shouldn't be making you sick.

• Like 3

Disney is handling Muppets wrong, IMO. They have never been big on the screen except for the first one. What does Disney want to do? Sell Kermit and Gonzo plushes, bed sets, and have them walk around Disney World. They need to put the Muppets on Disney Channel, and they could have holiday specials on ABC. The movies just isnt going to work for them, but a sitcom show could and it'll be a more effective way of introducing them to the new generation.

As for God's Not Dead, it clearly has an audience, whether youre apart of it or not, so them showing up and Muppets fans not shouldn't be making you sick.

I may be in the minority on this one, but maybe the Muppets are just past their best before date.  I had a hard time sitting through the movie.  I just found it to be so....what's the word....passe.  There are just some films and series of films that perhaps worked better in the past.  Times change.

• Like 1