Films

Weekend numbers: Ca2 41.4M, Oculus 12M, draft day 9.75M, Raid 2 1M

welp I wish I saw this post before going through 22 pages

It depends on which zip code you tried out as well. So you may have captured a completely different section of LA as compared to me since I use my default zip code.

If AMC showed up on Fandango it would be much easier, but unfortunately AMC needs people to click through to see if it is sold out or not. And Regal/Edwards does not work well consistently either.

Also, Pacific Theaters and Arclight remove showtimes from Fandango once the showtime has passed, so your list is incomplete as morning shows are not captured.

Edited by grim22

It depends on which zip code you tried out as well. So you may have captured a completely different section of LA as compared to me since I use my default zip code.

If AMC showed up on Fandango it would be much easier, but unfortunately AMC needs people to click through to see if it is sold out or not. And Regal/Edwards does not work well consistently either.

Also, Pacific Theaters and Arclight remove showtimes from Fandango once the showtime has passed, so your list is incomplete as morning shows are not captured.

Oh... well, all I've ever done is type in "Los Angeles, CA" and copy the results from there :P

• Like 1

Chicago, IL

Race Gurram: 3

Rio 2: 1

I didn't know there were so many Gults in Chicago to give Race Gurram 3 sell outs. I would have bet on San Francisco (Bay Area) giving it a lot more sellouts due to the IT connection since it is Allu Arjun's big comeback movie after his failed political adventure. 

Edited by grim22
  • Like 1

The LA area sellouts (as shown on Fandango - too lazy to click through all AMC theaters since they don't show sellouts on Fandango) are pretty simple: Rio 2 (2D+3D): 33Oculus: 2Everything else: 0

Los Angeles, CARio 2: 13Rio 2 3D: 6Captain America 2: 3Draft Day: 2Divergent: 1Noah: 1

I DON'T KNOW WHAT TO BELIEVE!
  • Like 2

UPDATED, SATURDAY: 10:35 P.M.: Captain America: The Winter Soldier has ruffled Fox’s feathers on Saturday as it is turning out to be more of a battle than expected between the Disney/Marvel title and the animated Rio 2 for the top spot. The superhero pic is besting the animated family film by more than $2M for the day with the Cap up around 52% on Saturday with $17.7M estimated compared to Rio 2 which is up about 27% for a Saturday gross of anywhere from $15.1M to $15.3M — and with those numbers both pics are expected to have a lower 3-day gross. Currently, it appears that Disney/Marvel may end up the leader when the dust — er, feathers — clear tomorrow morning. With about 23% of kids out of school on Monday (Spring Break), Sunday evening should have stronger numbers for Captain America. Saturday and Sunday are traditionally big family movie days, too. In the meantime, Oculus and Draft Day are both expected lower for the 3-day as well due to less than expected Saturday grosses so guesstimates are around 11.8M to $12M for the horror flick and less than $10M now for the football film. Stay tuned. More to come in the early AM.

• Like 4

UPDATED, SATURDAY: 10:35 P.M.: Captain America: The Winter Soldier has ruffled Fox’s feathers on Saturday as it is turning out to be more of a battle than expected between the Disney/Marvel title and the animated Rio 2 for the top spot. The superhero pic is besting the animated family film by more than $2M for the day with the Cap up around 52% on Saturday with $17.7M estimated compared to Rio 2 which is up about 27% for a Saturday gross of anywhere from $15.1M to $15.3M — and with those numbers both pics are expected to have a lower 3-day gross. Currently, it appears that Disney/Marvel may end up the leader when the dust — er, feathers — clear tomorrow morning. With about 23% of kids out of school on Monday (Spring Break), Sunday evening should have stronger numbers for Captain America. Saturday and Sunday are traditionally big family movie days, too. In the meantime, Oculus and Draft Day are both expected lower for the 3-day as well due to less than expected Saturday grosses so guesstimates are around 11.8M to $12M for the horror flick and less than $10M now for the football film. Stay tuned. More to come in the early AM.

that seems like a shitty increase for Rio 2 since it is a kids movie

• Like 1

Oh... well, all I've ever done is type in "Los Angeles, CA" and copy the results from there :P

That's how I do it too.  The first theater that comes up is Regal LA Live in downtown L.A. by the Staples Center.

Rio had 1 sell out tonight and Cap had 2.

Edited by ECSTASY
  • Like 1

UPDATED, SATURDAY: 10:35 P.M.: Captain America: The Winter Soldier has ruffled Fox’s feathers on Saturday as it is turning out to be more of a battle than expected between the Disney/Marvel title and the animated Rio 2 for the top spot. The superhero pic is besting the animated family film by more than $2M for the day with the Cap up around 52% on Saturday with $17.7M estimated compared to Rio 2 which is up about 27% for a Saturday gross of anywhere from $15.1M to $15.3M — and with those numbers both pics are expected to have a lower 3-day gross. Currently, it appears that Disney/Marvel may end up the leader when the dust — er, feathers — clear tomorrow morning. With about 23% of kids out of school on Monday (Spring Break), Sunday evening should have stronger numbers for Captain America. Saturday and Sunday are traditionally big family movie days, too. In the meantime, Oculus and Draft Day are both expected lower for the 3-day as well due to less than expected Saturday grosses so guesstimates are around 11.8M to $12M for the horror flick and less than $10M now for the football film. Stay tuned. More to come in the early AM.

So bad increases all around from the looks of it. Cap didn't get the big Marvel Saturday boost and Rio 2 didn't get the huge family boost if these numbers hold.