grim22

Barbie | July 21, 2023 | Warner Bros | Margot Robbie is Barbie. Ryan Gosling is Ken. | Second most profitable movie of 2023

21 minutes ago, vale9001 said:

Why?. Are you Piers?. 

dont think a Barbie with mainstream feminist themes is really making anyone upset, no one has a right to be surprised by that, so I'm a bit worried about what that "upset" line might be referencing

cant also ignore how that might affect its BO

Edited by interiorgatordecorator
  • ...wtf 2

3 minutes ago, interiorgatordecorator said:

if it goes too far it might affect my enjoyment of what seems like a very enjoyable movie; I also dont think a Barbie with mainstream feminist themes should "make a lot of people upset", so I'm slightly worried about what that could mean 

cant also ignore how that might affect its BO

Grow up

• Like 5
  • Disbelief 1

I think the reception confirms what I thought though, the people who love this movie are gonna love it wholly i.e. it has an in-built audience that'll bat for it and that helps rewatch too, while the people who don't like campy stuff won't appreciate it as much.

Edited by Bobzaruni

No nowadays people can write "some people Will be upset" cause a character says "women should have more rights"

Sadly this Is where the discourse is now.

I don't if the worst are these now obsessed people (they would try wokeness in every movie in the past they loved) or these supposed progressive (i would Say Just normal people) feeding them with their "people couldn't like It" for literally nothing 🤣

Edited by vale9001

17 minutes ago, Bobzaruni said:

The people who have certain social perspectives were never gonna like it

that is correct, but when it's the one thing they mention in their reaction, its fair to ask why

there are a many possible answers: some good, some insignificant, and some not particularly good 

Edited by interiorgatordecorator

Just now, stephanos13 said:

Unless it's unwatchable, I don't think reviews will matter for Barbie. Even if reviews are mixed on RT it will be critic proof.

Wont matter for opening weekend, but I do think it'll matter long term. I thought this movie would open well (although nowhere near as well as it looks like it will be opening) but I always expected a big second weekend drop. Maybe that doesn't happen, but if it's too political most parents wont want to take their kids and most kids wont enjoy it.

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, BestPicturePlutoNash said:

Lol Kyle Buchanan is a former film critics, novelist and writes for the NY Times.. he enjoyed the movie.

You people live in an alternate dimension

It's just a movie relax, no need to get defensive.

• Like 1

Just now, BestPicturePlutoNash said:

You went from "too political" to "its only a movie" that quickly because you were called out for being wrong/misinformed? 

I have no idea what you're talking about, but goodnight. Hope you enjoy the movie.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, BestPicturePlutoNash said:

Lol Kyle Buchanan is a former film critics, novelist and writes for the NY Times.. he enjoyed the movie.

You people live in an alternate dimension

So the two actual critics who reacted had reservations, but because a former critic (current culture blogger) didn't, "us people" (??) live in an alternate dimension, what?

10 minutes ago, stephanos13 said:

Unless it's unwatchable, I don't think reviews will matter for Barbie. Even if reviews are mixed on RT it will be critic proof.

I don’t really want it to be “better than unwatchable” or critic proof, I want this movie to be awesome, and walk out loving it!

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Last Man Standing said:

So the two actual critics who reacted had reservations, but because a former critic (current culture blogger) didn't, "us people" (??) live in an alternate dimension, what?

Yes because you didnt mention him since you're trying to frame a narrative that only exists to you