grim22

Barbie | July 21, 2023 | Warner Bros | Margot Robbie is Barbie. Ryan Gosling is Ken. | Second most profitable movie of 2023

7 minutes ago, Redolent said:

That’s the point - they’re lifting the embargo early, and everyone is thinking ‘great, a sign of confidence!’ But in actual fact, it’s screening to the majority of critics a week after. So you lift the embargo and for a week you have only reviews from the cherrypicked critics that you’ve shown the movie to until that point.

It’s dishonest and deceptive. This isn’t even about Barbie - it’s about WB and their dumbass, Flash-style tactics. 

This is such an out there theory that I am surprised at the number of people buying into it.

Most major publications, the NYT, LAT, Chicago Tribune and what have you, have more than one film critic. They can assign critics to both screenings and get them published before the movies come out.

And if you work for freelance you can choose between the Gerwig or Nolan, so it's not like WB specifically choose you to review the movie. It's kind of spiteful to Oppenheimer more than anything.

Not to mention that there are screenings the day after for some of these, so they can probably still get the review out in time. The embargo is set before the release of the film. So yeah, if you want to get the review up as soon as the embargo is up to get clicks, you would be bothered by it, but otherwise, I don't see how this is an elaborate scheme to hide some bad buzz. Who even come up with these stuff?

And I don't even think the people who are complaining about the conflicting schedule even imply that this is the case. If anything, probably just piss them off more, and if one of them are unprofessional it may negatively impact their judgement of the film.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Maggie said:

So, let me get this straight. Review embargo lifts tomorrow, but not all critics got to see it??? The majority of critics will see it next week?

Yes in most markets, the press screening is happening on Monday 17th July. 

the complaining about this movie never ends

critics embargo it's gonna end 10 days before the movie and still we have the "they're hiding something"  cause not all the critics are watching thhat day (which is another standard thing). 

maybe it's gonna have just good- average reviews (likely at 90% is this) cause after all Warner premiered Elvis and Dune at festivals months before the release and then they get not stellar reviews but there is nothing they're hiding.... we're gonna have reviews 10 days before 💀

Edited by vale9001
  • Like 2

6 minutes ago, Redolent said:

Yes in most markets, the press screening is happening on Monday 17th July. 

Do you mean on international markets? And what's the news?. Every american movie in international markets it showed to critics one- two days before. Most of them just watch them when they're out too. 

Edited by vale9001

1 minute ago, vale9001 said:

Do you mean on international markets? And what's te news?. Every american movie in international markets it showed to critics one- two days before. Most of them just watch them when they're out too. 

No I don’t mean in international markets - I mean everywhere in the US outside of LA and NYC. 

1 minute ago, Redolent said:

No I don’t mean in international markets - I mean everywhere in the US outside of LA and NYC. 

oh only LA and NYC based critics are watching the previews in LA and NYC on that day. A news.

btw ACM theaters CEO 

46 minutes ago, Redolent said:

That’s the point - they’re lifting the embargo early, and everyone is thinking ‘great, a sign of confidence!’ But in actual fact, it’s screening to the majority of critics a week after. So you lift the embargo and for a week you have only reviews from the cherrypicked critics that you’ve shown the movie to until that point.

It’s dishonest and deceptive. This isn’t even about Barbie - it’s about WB and their dumbass, Flash-style tactics. 

So basically you are claiming that instead of WB simply just waiting to lift the review embargo on the day of the film's release they instead engaged in this elaborate conspiracy theory that apparently now even involves so called cherry-picked critics who are also in on' the scam as well

It honestly feels like things are getting sillier the closer we get to this film's official release day lol

Edited by roxas11

45 minutes ago, vale9001 said:

In my opinion the best strategy (and more honest) is what they are doing with oppenhaimer.

When the director himself just says "my movie left the audiences speechless"

Sure, the marketing for Oppenheimer is obnoxious Nolan fare. You will get radiation poisoning in IMAX, Cillian Murphy was literally in a Gulag for 4 months, etc. I don’t have an issue with that take. 

2 hours ago, Niceguy said:

I think it will get good critics reactions, it's just the early reactions are hyperbolic nonsense.

I mean that's every movie to be fair lol I don't see what's so different here

The worst reviews are like 6/10, it'll be fine lmao

45 minutes ago, vale9001 said:

the complaining about this movie never ends

critics embargo it's gonna end 10 days before the movie and still we have the "they're hiding something"  cause not all the critics are watching thhat day (which is another standard thing). 

maybe it's gonna have just good- average reviews (likely at 90% is this) cause after all Warner premiered Elvis and Dune at festivals months before the release and then they get not stellar reviews but there is nothing they're hiding.... we're gonna have reviews 10 days before 💀

Evil Dead Rise & Elvis are both certified fresh. 

90% isn’t just “good - average” btw. 

Look what debuting at Cannes did to Indiana Jones and Elemental. 

18 minutes ago, roxas11 said:

So basically you are claiming that instead of WB simply just waiting to lift the review embargo on the day of the film's release they instead engaged in this elaborate conspiracy theory that apparently now even involves so called cherry-picked critics who are also in on' the scam as well

It honestly feels like things are getting sillier the closer we get to this film's official release day lol

Lmao it’s not conspiratorial if it’s right in front of you. WB had two influencer-only screenings in LA on 23rd-24th June, the lines full of excited people clad in pink. And yes, if you have a movie blog your score can count on RT.

24 minutes ago, Krissykins said:

Evil Dead Rise & Elvis are both certified fresh. 

90% isn’t just “good - average” btw. 

Look what debuting at Cannes did to Indiana Jones and Elemental. 

No i meant at 90% is not getting critical acclaim ( like 80+ MC)  but more something like elvis- dune, so 65-75. 

Not the percentage is getting on RT. Of course 90% there is not average but acclaim. And i think it could get 80-85%

Edited by vale9001

30 minutes ago, Redolent said:

Lmao it’s not conspiratorial if it’s right in front of you. WB had two influencer-only screenings in LA on 23rd-24th June, the lines full of excited people clad in pink. And yes, if you have a movie blog your score can count on RT.

Your original post was not about an 'influencer-only screenings that took place on 23rd-24th June.

You specifically said that once the review embargo lifts only some cherry picked critics will see it and the rest of the critics will see the film next week. So again this is clearly conspiratorial unless you have some actual evidence that these so called cherry picked critics are being paid off by WB

Edited by roxas11
  • Like 2