grim22

Barbie | July 21, 2023 | Warner Bros | Margot Robbie is Barbie. Ryan Gosling is Ken. | Second most profitable movie of 2023

Not surprised about Gosling being so great. His involvement in this is what told me way back that this must be something to really keep an eye on. I mean, has anyone seen his track record with blockbuster/tentpole type stuff? He almost has always flat out rejected them. Knew there was prob 0% chance he would do a Barbie movie of all things if the script hadn’t really been something. And ofc, Gerwig also inspired a lot of confidence in this as well. 

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, Warmaster506 said:

Barbie and Oppenheimer get picture nods would definitely piss off Disney. Hope it happens.

That would honestly be hilarious if the Barbenheimer thing continued into the Oscar BP race. I’d still be very shocked to see a BP nom for this though. Can maybe buy Gosling getting in if it’s a weak year for the guys and a screenplay nom. Let’s see reviews though. 

Edited by MovieMan89

24 minutes ago, MovieMan89 said:

Not surprised about Gosling being so great. His involvement in this is what told me way back that this must be something to really keep an eye on. I mean, has anyone seen his track record with blockbuster/tentpole type stuff? He almost has always flat out rejected them. Knew there was prob 0% chance he would do a Barbie movie of all things if the script hadn’t really been something. And ofc, Gerwig also inspired a lot of confidence in this as well. 

Surprisingly the only bad movie in his career post 2008 Is a Netflix movie. 

Edited by vale9001

14 minutes ago, MovieMan89 said:

That would honestly be hilarious if the Barbenheimer thing continued into the Oscar BP race. I’d still be very shocked to see a BP nom for this though. Can maybe buy Gosling getting in if it’s a weak year for the guys and a screenplay nom. Let’s see reviews though. 

Do you mean in the main categories?. Cause It's a strong contender for a lot of technical categories. I'm not saying just for a nominee but for a victory.....hair make up- costumes design - production design for sure. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, vale9001 said:

Do you mean in the main categories?. Cause It's a strong contender for a lot of technical categories. I'm not saying just for a nominee but for a victory.....hair make up- costumes design - production design for sure. 

Barbie feels like a Production Design winner tbh. They built Barbieland!

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, vale9001 said:

Yeah main cats 

I don't know why people find Barbenheimer nominations unlikely? They are movies by very respectable directors who were nominated before with ensemble casts which is a bonus when it comes to voting especially actors branch. AMPAS has embraced quirky before - look at 2022 winner. It's happening. 

Just now, Valonqar said:

I don't know why people find Barbenheimer nominations unlikely? They are movies by very respectable directors who were nominated before with ensemble casts which is a bonus when it comes to voting especially actors branch. AMPAS has embraced quirky before - look at 2022 winner. It's happening. 

Prestige director or not, let’s be real that a movie based on Barbie would still be a huge shock to be a BP nom lol

• Like 1

If this gets good reviews I can definitely see it being a nomination for bp. Respected director+big ensemble cast+potential supporting actor nominee+a lot of potential wins on the technical cats, and it could get a lot of goodwill swooping in as the absolute smash hit of summer as well

Also, it's a snarky comedy with societal critique before being a barbie film, really

But it's a pretty stacked year imo, we'll see what happens

Edited by JustLurking

5 minutes ago, MovieMan89 said:

Prestige director or not, let’s be real that a movie based on Barbie would still be a huge shock to be a BP nom lol

They said that about movies based on funny books and yet BP and Joker made it and Joker got Director, Script and Editing noms and Actor win. 

12 minutes ago, MovieMan89 said:

Academy Is changing and try to get young people to watch it (and in general to change Its taste).

Black panther was definitely already a big step. As top gun 2 nomination last year. 

And i would say even avatar 2 since they usually didn't nominate sequels. 

I see a nomination unlikely too but not impossible like 10 years ago and more. 

I don't think for Gosling being nominated we need a weak year or It's unlikely. If very acclaimed in One of the bigger movies of the year will definitely happen (at least there are not really 5 so so much better performances). Last year they nominated an actress from a Marvel movie, so what would be unlikely for a beloved actor as Gosling in a big movie with a role really has a big range from pure comedy to drama and even musical acts ?

Edited by vale9001
  • Like 2

15 minutes ago, Valonqar said:

They said that about movies based on funny books and yet BP and Joker made it and Joker got Director, Script and Editing noms and Actor win. 

Joker was dark and serious and trying to go for that gritty adult drama vibe that is usually big Oscar bait. Far less shocking than Barbie in the BP mix imo. 

Just now, MovieMan89 said:

Wait Gosling is supporting??? Ohhh… in that case he could 100% get in if the social reactions end up being general consensus. 

Early word is that he's so good in this to the point where, at least right now, he's possibly the frontrunner to win.

• Astonished 1

34 minutes ago, MovieMan89 said:

Just like a Top Gun sequel?

More genre movies have been receiving BP recognition as of late (Dune, Joker, Black Panther, Get Out, Everything Everywhere All At Once). A Spiderman cartoon is being hyped up as a possible nominee. And at the PGA (Oscar's biggest precursor) movies like Deadpool have been nominated