grim22

Barbie | July 21, 2023 | Warner Bros | Margot Robbie is Barbie. Ryan Gosling is Ken. | Second most profitable movie of 2023

What i’m loving about these reactions is that every comparisson with other IP’s made by auteurs ended up hitting some weird baffling great movie that looks like a talent tricking the studio 

Where The Wild Things Are, Mars Attack!, Altman’s Popeye, Josie and the Pussycats etc 

What a promising group to be compared with

Since it's been mentioned a few times here: has Mars Attacks had some massive rehabilitation that I wasn't aware of? Because its satirical intentions were definitely obvious back in the 90s, it just wasn't funny.

Edited by Hatebox

10 minutes ago, ThomasNicole said:

What i’m loving about these reactions is that every comparisson with other IP’s made by auteurs ended up hitting some weird baffling great movie that looks like a talent tricking the studio 

Where The Wild Things Are, Mars Attack!, Altman’s Popeye, Josie and the Pussycats etc 

In some ways it’s not promising. What’s interesting is how these movies were rejected by audiences. Audience reception on RT:

Altman’s Popeye: 39%

Josie and the Pussycats: 52%

Mars Attacks!: 53%
Where The Wild Things Are: 57%

But maybe mass audiences are ready for Barbie in a way that weren’t at the time for some of these movies/ now cult classics ?

• Astonished 1

10 minutes ago, Hatebox said:

Since it's been mentioned a few times here: has Mars Attacks had some massive rehabilitation that I wasn't aware of? Because its satirical intentions were definitely obvious back in the 90s, it just wasn't funny.

Yes it became a cult camp classic 

5 minutes ago, Redolent said:

In some ways it’s not promising. What’s interesting is how these movies were rejected by audiences. Audience reception on RT:

Altman’s Popeye: 39%

Josie and the Pussycats: 52%

Mars Attacks!: 53%
Where The Wild Things Are: 57%

But maybe mass audiences are ready for Barbie in a way that weren’t at the time for some of these movies/ now cult classics ?

I think so, i still think there will be some cynical behavior towards Barbie but i feel the younger generation and people who grew watching those movies are likely to embrace the weirdness and over the top aspects people are talking about

These other movies came out in a different cultural moment i think

Edited by ThomasNicole

1 minute ago, ThomasNicole said:

I think so, i still think there will be some cynical behavior towards Barbie but i feel the younger generation and people who grew watching those movies are likely to embrace the weirdness and over the top aspects people are talking about

These other movies came out in a different cultural moment i think

I saw a funny comment which was like ‘Speed Racer walked so that Barbie could run’. We could be at a time where the campness and chaos is indeed embraced unlike these movies of the past.

• Astonished 1

Just now, Redolent said:

I saw a funny comment which was like ‘Speed Racer walked so that Barbie could run’. We could be at a time where the campness and chaos is indeed embraced unlike these movies of the past.

So the Speed Racer connection is already happening and i didn’t saw? Oh we won so hard 

And yes i know all these movies are panned back then but watching them today is a breathe of air, because we’re exposed to much more projects and they’re all grey and cynical in the past 15 years.

Barbie having the same approach of some of those movies now looks fresh because of that imo

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, ThomasNicole said:

I'd pop Cat in the Hat, Speed Racer and the Frank Oz Stepford Wives in there too. Too many other examples to list that I'm forgetting.

By the way, unrelated to your post, but can't believe Gerwig is doing a Narnia flick for Netflix next. Heck, maybe it's the best fantasy movie in a long time but ugh. Just for me, that's an incredibly boring choice especially when she has all this cred. She'll never have more cred than she has now. She can do literally whatever she wants.

Now, can we get Julia Ducournau on the next Barbie movie? Trick question, she already made her Barbie movie and it's called Titane.

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, ThomasNicole said:

Where the wild things are didn't really trick the studio. The studio knew exactly what they were getting. They tried to fight spike jonez to make it less scary and more kid friendly but he was adamant. They eventually gave in and decided to market the movie to adults. That was an example of the studio taking a risk on a director.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, JohnnyGossamer said:

I'd pop Cat in the Hat, Speed Racer and the Frank Oz Stepford Wives in there too. Too many other examples to list that I'm forgetting.

By the way, unrelated to your post, but can't believe Gerwig is doing a Narnia flick for Netflix next. Heck, maybe it's the best fantasy movie in a long time but ugh. Just for me, that's an incredibly boring choice especially when she has all this cred. She'll never have more cred than she has now. She can do literally whatever she wants.

Now, can we get Julia Ducournau on the next Barbie movie? Trick question, she already made her Barbie movie and it's called Titane.

I was thinking the same for Little Women and then she made such an energic, full of life, freshier version of it. So honestly I'm excited for her Narnias too. 😄

6 minutes ago, ListenHunnyUrOver said:

Barbie becoming this cultural behemoth and opening bigger than a Nolan movie feels like the definitive end of the Superhero era. 

Barbie AND Oppenheimer opening bigger than a lot of SH movies this year is what it feels like the definitive end of SH era 

That and the phenomenons like Top Gun and Avatar 

There’s still gas in the SH genre tank but it’s definitely lower now

1 hour ago, Hatebox said:

It’s now old enough where the kids who watched it are old enough to have nostalgia for it, and vulgar auteurism is the hip new thing. Of course it has a rehabilitation.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Eric Stickell said:

It’s now old enough where the kids who watched it are old enough to have nostalgia for it, and vulgar auteurism is the hip new thing. Of course it has a rehabilitation.

yeah if i think about it memes humour and internet humour is based on that style. It's the kind of humour of a generation. 

3 minutes ago, Eric Stickell said:

This is such a sexy way to phrase it i’m gonna copy