grim22

Barbie | July 21, 2023 | Warner Bros | Margot Robbie is Barbie. Ryan Gosling is Ken. | Second most profitable movie of 2023

2 minutes ago, jeffthehat said:

It's 100% getting a BP nom. Oscars are one with the memes now. Jamie-Lee Curtis won Best Supporting Actress last year just for showing up in EEAAO. 

Giving the academy the chance to redeem themselves with a actually funny movie this time.  

1 minute ago, MovieMan89 said:

Hopefully it gets at least 192 to take another record away from that dreadful Lion King abomination 

It would have to do like 28M previews, which while possible, will need a very steep jump over the next 2 days

I think 175 is genuinely possible though

Edited by Bobzaruni

1 minute ago, Brainbug said:

Imagine 200 - 208M for Barbie and 70-75M for Oppenheimer.

I mean it doesnt feel right just typing it but the fact that it is actually possible both movies go that high is just amazing.

Truly historic weekend incoming. Barbenheimer has come to save cinema.

That’s pretty funny, those are exactly the ranges for them I’ve been highly considering these past few days. Will be just amazing if to happens. 

Just now, MovieMan89 said:

Hopefully it gets at least 192 to take another record away from that dreadful Lion King abomination 

That movie ages like a banana.

For me, Lion King 2019 is the worst Disney live action remake by far. Not only because of my personal nostalgic feelings for the original and the fact that they butchered literally every element of it, but also because it feels like the laziest among the live action remakes which says a lot.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

1 minute ago, Bobzaruni said:

It would have to do like 28M previews, which while possible, will need a very steep jump over the next 2 days

I think 175 is genuinely possible though

I don’t think we should make any assumptions based on previews for Barbie. Feels like the definition of a walk-up zeitgeist phenomenon too once the word about the movie itself is out there. 

1 minute ago, MovieMan89 said:

I don’t think we should make any assumptions based on previews for Barbie. Feels like the definition of a walk-up zeitgeist phenomenon too once the word about the movie itself is out there. 

True, it is a possibility 

6 minutes ago, Brainbug said:

Imagine 200 - 208M for Barbie and 70-75M for Oppenheimer.

I mean it doesnt feel right just typing it but the fact that it is actually possible both movies go that high is just amazing.

Truly historic weekend incoming. Barbenheimer has come to save cinema.

I think Barbie doesn't have the space for It but yeah 180 and 70.

With this very great reviews for both (opp Is getting too right?) from thuesdsy barbeinhmer conversation will peak more than ever. 

Edited by vale9001

1 minute ago, vale9001 said:

I think Barbie doesn't have the space for It but yeah 180 and 70.

With this very great reviews for both (opp Is getting too right?) from thuesdsy barbeinhmer will peak more than ever.

Oppenheimer is an incredible movie will get good reviews but it is not a crowd-pleaser like an action movie or something if people were expecting that so idk about WOM we'll see. (source: I've seen it)

Edited by Bobzaruni

Just now, MovieMan89 said:

I agree. Barbie could turn out to be a Jurassic World-situation where the preview number is very high, but not anywhere near record-breaking, but then the WOM propels it into the stratosphere the following days. True event movies often bypass historical box office patterns and just start doing their own thing to a certain extent.

Though i want to add that for me, anything above 150M for Barbie is already a giant success and i woud never be disappointed by a number like that. But i do really believe that the film will go much higher. 

• Like 2

I am a big believer that movies can almost always make more than we think they can with tc’s. Many many people genuinely thought 350 OW was impossible when EG did it, and I can guarantee you it did not sell every seat in every showing to do it either. No movie has or ever will, 

14 minutes ago, vale9001 said:

Barbie was coming for 165M even with bad reviews anyway 🤣.

Now chances for 175-180.

In the UK It's gonna beat according to estimations the Lion king OW by a bit .

Lion king made 191 in the US 

That's the range. 

Oh yes please beat that photoreal shit!

1 minute ago, Bobzaruni said:

Oppenheimer is an incredible movie will get good reviews but it is not a crowd-pleaser like an action movie or something if people were expecting that so idk about WOM we'll see. (source: I've seen it)

Yeah i'm feeling It too. People were talking about Barbie WOM but Oppenheimer is not a safe movie in that too. But people want to be part of the conversation. So let'see. 

5 minutes ago, zlazer said:

Huge praise for Margot and Ryan, fun dance and music, loves the costume and production design, praised Greta a lot as a filmmaker and not being put in a box, 10 mins too long, not every joke landed, did not like sequences in Mattel HQ, movie is at its best when an exploration of Barbie and Ken, Film goes deep into a message which sometimes really works especially with American Ferrera

• Thanks 1