grim22

Barbie | July 21, 2023 | Warner Bros | Margot Robbie is Barbie. Ryan Gosling is Ken. | Second most profitable movie of 2023

Couldn't disagree more with all the points raised. THE MARVELS is toast. BARBIE is not a success because just going woke. That is a lazy, uneducated and unintelligent take. It is a brilliant film. The moment Gerwig and Baumach took over, we know this had great potentials. MARVELS look utter trash. 

• Like 4

1 minute ago, The Dark Alfred said:

Couldn't disagree more with all the points raised. THE MARVELS is toast. BARBIE is not a success because just going woke. That is a lazy, uneducated and unintelligent take. It is a brilliant film. The moment Gerwig and Baumach took over, we know this had great potentials. MARVELS look utter trash. 

Captain Marvel OW audience was like 60% male, as opposed to Barbie, which I assume will be heavily female centric

• Like 1

1 minute ago, The Dark Alfred said:

The more people doubt The Marvels while social media is going crazy for it, the better. It keeps the film on the conversation, same thing that Barbie faced Captain Marvel and Wonder Woman also faced. Of course that big studio fanboys like yourself would say otherwise. But November is close, I’m confident and we’ll know soon enough.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, The Dark Alfred said:

for what i'm reading of couse is not an hating men movie, actually is also uplifting with his male characters. 

But they talk without even seeing it. 

5 minutes ago, The Dark Alfred said:

Of course is not because going woke, that is obvious, is because the quality of the film obviosly, we are saying go woke go rich because they think that if your film dares to have a bit of to the left message is automatically a bad film. And a film can be either right wing or left wing and be perceived good or bad regardless. 

Mad Max Fury road is another woke film that is good. Like countless others. 

Edited by Day and Date The Best
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, The GOAT said:

Captain Marvel OW audience was like 60% male, as opposed to Barbie, which I assume will be heavily female centric

Captain Marvel had a 55% male audience at the OW; but still made to $400m DOM. Also, it’d be incredibly foolish to assume that all the audience for Barbie will be female. Barbie is big among the LGBTQ crowd and I think that people will be surprised by how many men will show up for this one as well.  

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, The Dark Alfred said:

I agree. I don't know how someone could conclude Barbie is a big success due to make the righr people mad.

There hasn't even been so many angry people with Barbie movie. I've seen a LOT more people angry with TLM and Indy5.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, ZattMurdock said:

The more people doubt The Marvels while social media is going crazy for it, the better. It keeps the film on the conversation, same thing that Barbie faced Captain Marvel and Wonder Woman also faced. Of course that big studio fanboys like yourself would say otherwise. But November is close, I’m confident and we’ll know soon enough.

How about the people who financed the film doubting it? The comparison is ridiculous, BARBIE had an amazing trailer and created a buzz due to the vivid imagery and the clever direction Gerwig took. On the other hand MARVELS look trash. It won't get 90% RT and either.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Kon said:

I agree. I don't know how someone could conclude Barbie is a big success due to make the righr people mad.

There hasn't even been so many angry people with Barbie movie. I've seen a LOT more people angry with TLM and Indy5.

Indy 5 was not going to be big regardless they were mad or not. TLM performed better than expected seeing how Mission Impossible 7 (And MI7 is GREEAT) is performing from opening weeknd is clear they have no say and are irrelevant. 

Edited by Day and Date The Best
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Kon said:

And I wonder how much these "angry mobs" are just overblown bubble thinking from cesspools like twitter and dont represent the reality so much. Same goes to news which is highly researched and studied that it distorts the perception of reality.

1 minute ago, Day and Date The Best said:

The internet people loving or hating is not representative of Box Office look at Timothy chalamett, Dune part 2 will probably flop too. And Villanueve will not have the excuse to blame HBO MAX, now MAX. 

There's 0% chance Dune 2 makes less than the first. Which would guarantee it NOT being a flop. But this also isn't the Dune/WB thread.

Just now, The Dark Alfred said:

How about the people who financed the film doubting it? The comparison is ridiculous, BARBIE had an amazing trailer and created a buzz due to the vivid imagery and the clever direction Gerwig took. On the other hand MARVELS look trash. It won't get 90% RT and either.

Lmao. You literally are using the same arguments used against Captain Marvel before. Nia DaCosta is directing The Marvels and just like Greta, she is an up and coming young director, she just directed a very successful reboot of The Candyman for Peele’s studio; The Marvels is focused on three women of very different backgrounds coming together for a fun superhero ramp across the galaxy.

The gist of my point is that the more mad people get at films like Barbie and The Marvels, even fucking better for these films. It’s absolutely free advertising for them, it actually motivates people to show up to the films. You are fooling yourself if you don’t think that doesn’t play a major part on people getting excited for Barbie. Even I that wasn’t considering to go might end up doing just because it pleases me to piss off the right people. Yes, Greta Gerwig is a critically acclaimed director making her big break with a major popular IP, that plays a major part on the film’s hype. But ignoring how much it’s delicious to own fucking chuds would be wrong. It happened before, it’s happening again. The more chuds try to replicate the Ghostbusters remake effect, the stronger they make female lead blockbuster films.

Just now, von Kenni said:

And I wonder how much these "angry mobs" are just overblown bubble thinking from cesspools like twitter and dont represent the reality so much. Same goes to news which is highly researched and studied that it distorts the perception of reality.

Exactly those angry mobs do not matter nothing, the people commenting Go woke get Rich is to oppose the broke slogan that is fake. Those angry mob types like Dune and that movies is probably on flop territory too. 

The internet people loving or hating is not representative of Box Office look at Timothy chalamett, Dune part 2 will probably flop too. 

If this is true, so the "make the right people mad for publicity" theory doesn't work either.

My point was that there hasn't been so many people angry about the Barbie movie. So, I don't know how this movie could represent that theory.

1 minute ago, Kon said:

If this is true, so the "make the right people mad for publicity" theory doesn't work either.

My point was that there hasn't been so many people angry about the Barbie movie. So, I don't know how this movie could represent that theory.

Understand your point, it probably does not move the needle either way. The Marvels could end up being good, Nia Dacosta is not bad. 

Exactly those angry mobs do not matter nothing, the people commenting Go woke get Rich is to oppose the broke slogan that is fake. Those angry mob types like Dune and that movies is probably on flop territory too. 

I agree on the mob thinking but disagree on Dune...for some reason (hint: my avatar pic).

Timothee Chalamet Dune GIF