lilmac

1999: The Year that Changed Cinema Forever

http://www.denofgeek.com/movies/1999-movies/30137/how-the-year-1999-changed-cinema-forever

From Star Wars and Austin Powers to Magnolia and Being John Malkovich, 1999 was a turning point in mainstream cinema. Here's why...

It's not an entirely perfect science, as you're going to discover, to determine one year as a turning point in modern cinema. And yet for those of us who lived at the multiplex and assorted smaller screening houses in 1999, and looking back at it now, it all feels like quite a surreal, sudden changing of the guard too place.

The ramifications of what happened at the movies in 1999 still continue to be felt today too, across blockbuster cinema and smaller productions. Furthermore, and this is one we've not discussed, 1999 was arguably the last stand for mid-budget studio pictures.

And it was also the year where this lot happened...

Edited by Telemachos
  • Like 3

Wow!

What a fantastic article.  I love looking back at 99.  And I think he's right.  It was definitely a year that changed things.  I think more than any film, The Blair Witch Project is responsible for a lot of that change.

• Like 2

I still love Three Kings and Election. Fight Club, although not my favorite, has become a cult classic. Office Space still holds up and I really enjoyed Sunshine and eXistenZ as well. The ending to eXistenZ is amazing. It was definitely a great year for Sci-Fi – The Matrix is still truly great. 

Edit: I loved The Muse when I was younger too. Albert Brooks is one of the greats. 

Edited by Clavius
  • Like 1

looking at the movies i've seen, 1999 seems like a pretty great year - in fact, the 90s in general seem to represent a big shift up from the previous decade. however the 1999 movies i love haven't really been mentioned here, such as:

the wind will carry us (kiarostami) [just finished watching this now, a masterpiece]

being john malkovich (jonze)

fight club (fincher)

eyes wide shut (kubrick)

south park (parker)

all about my mother (almodóvar)

of course, the article is about a broader shift. wouldn't know about that, but maybe.

Fight Club, The Matrix, Election, Bringing Out the Dead, Beau Travail, Pola X are six of my all-time favorites, and there was plenty more greatness in '99. Definitely one of the greatest years for cinema ever, only 2007 has come close since then.

Explain

He says in the article that before 1999 sequels generally performed less then the original. Post 1999 sequels tended to increase from the original. If you consider TASM the first in a new series then it's sequel, TASM2, is looking to decrease. Hence, following the pre 1999 pattern.
  • Like 1